S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Anybody consider an A7?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody consider an A7?

I've been planning on picking up an S4, and went to the dealer the other day to take a look at one. When I walked into the showroom, it was the A7 that caught my eye (especially with its S-line trim).

I sat in it for a while and admired its interior.

Then I walked over to the S4 and sat in it. It was a bit of a let down compared to the A7. Although I did prefer the sport seats in the S4.

Besides the obvious size differences, to me, the biggest difference is the slushbox tranny compared to the twin-clutch S-tronic. I'd much rather have the s-tronic.

Pricewise, a loaded S4 is about $60K and an A7 can be had for not much more (if you pass on the crazy-expensive packages like $6 stereo systems).

I drive my kids to school each morning so the larger A7 rear seats are a plus.

Anybody else consider the A7?

*yes, I know the cars have very different focuses. Also should note that I find the A6 boring and uninspiring.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not pass on the expensive options on the S4. I love the A7 however the 8 speed tranny would stop me from buying it. As far as the kids? Driving them to school would not have any bearing on my choice of car. Go for the S4.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I looked at the A7 when I was making the decision as well.

I guess it depends on what "not much more" means to you, but when I priced out the A7 it quickly rose into the $70's without many options.

I ended up getting the supplier discount on the S4 and they didn't offer the supplier discount on the A7 at that time because it was so new.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

the A7 just hit the market right when i was getting my s4, and i could have had one of the first. but i just could not get over the color of my S4!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

The A7 is nice car, but it seems too large & I don't care for the rear window, which looks like it was copied from a 69 mustang (not good for visibility).
Old 03-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I like the A7 but I already had my S4 when it came out. But I will take a look at the S7 when it hits the US later this year.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was in the market for an A7 but went with an S4 after test driving them both. I really like the A7 but decided the S4 was a better match this time around for my needs. It's possible I will go with an A7 the next time around. One thing I did not like about the A7 were the seats...unfortunately they don't offer a sport seat or any upgraded options with better support.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the A7's overall looks, esp. those headlights! I also like all its gadgets. But, sitting in the the car, the interior didn't seem that much different than my 2010 S4 Prestige.

Plus, as a single guy, I just don't need all that space. I also don't need the extra weight, the 8 speed slushtronic, & the slightly reduced hp to slow me down. I certainly don't need the higher lease payments!

On the other hand, I *do* want the sports seats and the rear sports differential to hold me & the car in place during those high speed turns. So for me, the S4 wins hands down!

Last edited by drrick89; 03-12-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had a S4 for a 24 hr test drive. I like it, a lot. Great powertrain, seats were supportive and comfortable. However I wish that it had a bit more technology (such as rear heated seats, power mirrors and HUD). Aside from color and transmission type I had settled on a build and was waiting for the MY13 pricing to be released. Upon visiting the dealer again they had a A6 (A7 not for me) with the 20" rim/sport pkg and LED headlights. It caught my attention. Enough so that I asked to take it for a test drive.

The existing car belong to a customer and waiting for the paperwork to e signed. They had another A6 3.0T without the sports package. There were many things to like about the car including the technology, space and design. However from a drivers point-of-view, IMO, it is behind the S4. The 8-speed auto loves to shift at low RPM. I believe this is done for improved fuel economy. At low-speeds the steering seems to be over-boosted. Also there is a degree of pedal movement before the throttle responds. I even tried dynamic mode and didn't notice any significant improvement.

The S4 is more of a drivers car with some luxury. The A6/A7 is a luxury car with some sport. Which is more important to you? I would suggest driving them back-to-back before deciding on a model. Perhaps some of my issues with the A6 would cured with the sport pkg. I will be posting this question to the A6 forum. Otherwise wait until the S6/S7 is released and get the best of both worlds.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A7 wasn't available when I got my S4. BUT, no MT so its a no go for me. Also, I was looking for a $50K car rather than a $60K+ car. I do like the look. But what would be more intersting to me is an A5(S5) sportback http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9fnWg0EAlw

Quick Reply: Anybody consider an A7?