S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Another Solution to the Ugly Dash Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Solution to the Ugly Dash Problem

I, like many others, have been trying to figure out a way to improve the appearance of the dash of my 2010 S4. The silver plastic trim is unacceptable. My wife provided a suggestion which I think has worked out well. My car is Quartz Grey with Black Leather/ Black Alcantara interior. She suggeated that I cover the silver plastic trim in matching Alcantara. After receiving many samples I found the exact matching material and ordered it. I removed the trim, and separated the right trim facia from its back plate/display bezel I glued the Alcantara to the plastic trim with hi-temp spray trim adhesive, trimmed the extra material, and re-glued the right trim facia to the backing plate (not as easy as it sounds). The installed pieces are pictured below. I have ordered the OSIR dash bezel trim pieces which I hope will provide just the right amount of contrast to the instrument area.
Attached Images      
Old 08-20-2010, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not a bad idea... How's it look in person? A little contrast should pull it all together nicely.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, the pictures don't do it justice. It looks great in person. No glare, easy to clean, and it ties the previously out-of-place dash to the rest of the interior. I am very happy with the way it turned out.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Barry in Utah
Sorry, the pictures don't do it justice. It looks great in person. No glare, easy to clean, and it ties the previously out-of-place dash to the rest of the interior. I am very happy with the way it turned out.
So what are you going to charge to do this for other members?
Old 08-20-2010, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Very interesting... Do you mind sharing where you got the alcantar? I may want to try something similar.

Mike
Old 08-20-2010, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Let's wait and see how you like the finished product. I had to buy a yard of Alcantara so I could do a few more with the material I've got. I might be willing to do a few now that I've done one. It takes some hours to do it right so I'm not sure it would be worth it to you.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The Alcantara came from Gulf Fabrics

Originally Posted by terminal nonchalance
Very interesting... Do you mind sharing where you got the alcantar? I may want to try something similar.

Mike
The part number was ALCP 9002 (ALC stands for Alcantara and the P stands for "Pannel" which is the unbacked, somewhat flexible material for this application). Joe Martinez at gulffabrics.com was very helpful. If you want the Light Black (9002) I would be happy to sell enough of the leftover material to you to do yours at my cost plus shipping. I had to buy a 36' x 53" piece for about $120 ($99 + shipping)so your material would be a fraction of this cost. If people are interested I can post some in process photos with some instructions.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting idea but I'm not a fan. Reminds me of this:

Old 08-20-2010, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Barry in Utah
The part number was ALCP 9002 (ALC stands for Alcantara and the P stands for "Pannel" which is the unbacked, somewhat flexible material for this application). Joe Martinez at gulffabrics.com was very helpful. If you want the Light Black (9002) I would be happy to sell enough of the leftover material to you to do yours at my cost plus shipping. I had to buy a 36' x 53" piece for about $120 ($99 + shipping)so your material would be a fraction of this cost. If people are interested I can post some in process photos with some instructions.
Very interested in the process and the offer to sell the excess alcantara. PM me with the details.

thanks!

Mike
Old 08-20-2010, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I dunno, I've seen it done on high end cars. If it's done right, it can look really good.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Another Solution to the Ugly Dash Problem