S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

advice with buying b8 s4

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice with buying b8 s4

Hi All, this is my first ever post so excuse me if it is not formatted like people usually like, etc. Anyways, I am about to graduate college and am ready to make a move on my dream car, an Audi s4.
I am drawn to b8's specifically because of the 3.0 engine and styling that was in my opinion ahead of its time and only just underwent a redesign.
Of course, I understand the dangers and money pit that used German automobiles can be. In my understanding, the 3.0 TFSI powerplant is far more reliable than its 4.2 V8 big brother as well as similar offerings from Mercedes and BMW. The only "problems" I've been warned about with s4's relate to the water pump and the degradation of the plastic lines in the system. I searched the internet for this and didn't find much concrete information. I've had to deal with notoriously unreliable Volvos in my past (2 dead cars within 4 years) so reliability is important to me, and while offerings from Japan may be better in the long run, my heart is really set on an s4. My alternative would be a 2014 Infiniti Q50S. I would appreciate any insights from the community. Looking to pick up a vehicle with between 40,000 and 60,000 miles.

TLDR: For those of you lucky enough to own a B8/8.5 s4 for an extended period of time, have you been pleased with the reliability? Are there any horror stories or critical issues (similar to the timing chain in the v8 s4s) that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your replies, sorry if I was a bit long-winded
Old 01-28-2018, 08:12 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We get a post like this every week. Here is the abridged answer. Just get one with the lowest mileage and best condition, with the options you want and a color combo you like, that you can find. The B8.5s have a few more bells and whistles. The driving experience in all years is the same. The quintessential S4 has B&O radio, sport dif and NAV. Every thing else is gravy, but other options are nice to have.There are no bad years to avoid. Both transmissions and both interior have their proponents. No bad decision on those Get the sport dif. Extended warranty is good (but not a necessity) alternative if you buy without factory or CPO warranty. CPO will extend the factory warranty and be voided by a tune. But due to the exceptional reliability of these cars,an extended warranty may be a waste of time.I spent $2700 for one and never needed to use it.Your dealership has no ability to overlook tunes. the first time it is put on their computer, software will detect it and automatically send it in to AOA Higher mileage reliability is good. Your car will be designated TD1. Warranty voided ,A tune may also void an extended warranty as well. AudiCare only covers routine maintenance. But this might be good to have since the maintenance on the DSG trans is not cheap.This is a great car, I'm on my 3rd one because I can't find anything better in the price range that I want more or like better. The water pumps have all failed and been replaced but there are reports of failure with mileage. The T stat will fail by 80k miles. Its not if but when. I have heard nothing about plastic line failure.Great daily driver. I'm on my 3rd B8 S4, current one has 80k miles and is running like a top. These cars have been remarkably reliable. Been driving one since 2010 and it still puts a smile on my face everything I drive it. First time since forever I am not looking for something new and better since, IMHO, there isn't anything out there in the price range that is. GET one. You won't be sorry