S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

3G MMI: made by Microsoft?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3G MMI: made by Microsoft?

First things first, Microsoft has nothing to do with MMI.

I did have an interesting experience today with my MMI though... it crashed!! I started the car and put it into reverse which activated the backup cam. When I went into drive, the display switch to a "note: please wait". I have seen this before when first loading data from the SD card (which is what I was listening too). The music was playing, but the display wouldn't change. I then tried to switch sources, nothing. All buttons except previous track, next track, and volume were dead. The mode button on the steering wheel was dead as well. I attempted to turn off the MMI (press and hold volume) which got me to the splash screen, but that didn't help either. So after about five minutes of this, everything goes dark. The display was off, the cluster display wouldn't show anything in the upper radio section, buttons didn't work, etc. Wait another five minutes, everything turns back on and works like nothing happened.

Hopefully, this was a one time event! In the back of my mind I was waiting for the BSOD to come up
Old 09-14-2009, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many MANY things run WindowsCE from your cash registers, to ATM machines, to most nav/PC's running in cars, so while MS might not be directly responsible for MMI, it may very well be the underpinings on which it was built.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can't a guy hope Audi wouldn't team with Microsoft? I'd like to think I can avoid needing security patches, virus protection, spyware protection, etc...
Old 09-14-2009, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ranch
Can't a guy hope Audi wouldn't team with Microsoft? I'd like to think I can avoid needing security patches, virus protection, spyware protection, etc...
Because there are other options out there which never have updates, and the like?
Old 09-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

An excellent point you make.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like you are a MS hater. My iphone crashes regularly too so I guess that the iphone is running Windows too. Honestly I have no connection with MS whatsoever and I use Mac and PC at work and at home. It just make me mad whenever something crash and people just assumed that it is Windows.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by justhacking
Sounds like you are a MS hater. My iphone crashes regularly too so I guess that the iphone is running Windows too. Honestly I have no connection with MS whatsoever and I use Mac and PC at work and at home. It just make me mad whenever something crash and people just assumed that it is Windows.
Seconded.