S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2016 S4 Audi Connect Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 S4 Audi Connect Question

Have a question about the Audi connect MMI system... I'm new to the whole Audi world, so sorry about this long post..

I have a 2016 S4 Premium Plus and never got any info about the Audi connect, maybe cause i got it pre owned idk. But my nav system is pretty basic, only showing me the route without any actual traffic, so I would always have to refer to my Google maps on my android to let me know what's the fastest route to avoid traffic. I was wondering if I were to get the Audi Connect will it give me real time traffic and work at least similar to say like a Google maps, showing what's the fastest route to avoid traffic, etc . I've called twice about it and two different people telling me two different things saying I need "Sirius Traffic" and the other saying that the mmi nav itself it will provide me with traffic flow, fastest route due to traffic, etc. I just need a straight forward answer cause it seems like even the dealership doesn't know themselves when I asked about the SIM card that I needed to actually activate Audi Connect .

Thanks in Advance!
Old 09-28-2017, 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S4zeek
Have a question about the Audi connect MMI system... I'm new to the whole Audi world, so sorry about this long post..

I have a 2016 S4 Premium Plus and never got any info about the Audi connect, maybe cause i got it pre owned idk. But my nav system is pretty basic, only showing me the route without any actual traffic, so I would always have to refer to my Google maps on my android to let me know what's the fastest route to avoid traffic. I was wondering if I were to get the Audi Connect will it give me real time traffic and work at least similar to say like a Google maps, showing what's the fastest route to avoid traffic, etc . I've called twice about it and two different people telling me two different things saying I need "Sirius Traffic" and the other saying that the mmi nav itself it will provide me with traffic flow, fastest route due to traffic, etc. I just need a straight forward answer cause it seems like even the dealership doesn't know themselves when I asked about the SIM card that I needed to actually activate Audi Connect .

Thanks in Advance!
Take this question and post it on the B8 S4 forum on Audizine if you want the right answer.More activity and members there.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say both answers were correct...
First, it looks like you will need Sirius satellite radio service with the traffic option. It delivers traffic and weather data in the satellite stream.
Note that not all of the US is covered. Here's a map of the traffic that Sirius covers: SiriusXM Traffic

The other person was also correct because the radio/map software in the car will read the traffic and change the route if an accident occurs, for example.

I did go out to my S4 too and I could see some traffic options.
I found this PDF but it looks a little old but it might help you figure out what to modify.
http://www.audi.com/etc/medialib/ngw....0055.File.pdf

EDIT: When I bought my S4, I called Sirius to transfer service from my old car and I happen to mention that I just bought the car and the Sirius customer service person transferred my service and gave me a free 3-month trial to the all-access music plan (overlapping my basic plan) and 3-month trial of traffic too. I don't live in an area where traffic is available so I didn't end up using it.

Last edited by LighthouseJ; 09-28-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:36 PM
QS4
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Checking my Owners Manual (Navigation)...

The (2013) requirements are listed as:
- Must be in an area covered by the current service provider
- A SIM card with a data package from the current service provider must be inserted in the SIM card reader
- The SIM card must be configured for Audi connect services

I drive 32 miles to work and usually set the navigation just to show my ETA but also to get accident/traffic notices along the way. While setting my destination, it has never shown a potentially faster alternate route than the known fastest because of an accident or traffic... I've never gotten alerts while driving for traffic congestion but I have gotten them for accidents. Pressing AUDI CONNECT while driving will show notices (construction, accidents, & congestion) in all directions regardless of active routing or not.
Above, Lighthouse mentioned, 'traffic options' and your current navigation settings will display briefly on screen after selecting your route (traffic rerouting, fastest route, avoid tolls, etc.). AND, I do recall having to ask Sirius to activate traffic details with my subscription...