S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2013 RS4 in the USA!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
I dont get it either. But to each his own
agreed x3
Old 02-07-2013, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...and I don't get all the people driving SUV's that never go off road.

A wagon gives you the handling of a car and the room of an SUV. Maybe some of you don't have kids, dogs, etc... or don't like going to home depot to pick up crap for home projects.... maybe some of you have multiple vehicles.

Regardless, there is a place for a super wagon.. and they're a ton of fun.

I daily drive my 997 Turbo... that's it... two kid seats in the back.. TWO. I love this car but it is getting old.

I'd love an RS4 as an option... why not... give me some breathing room plus I could actually go to home depot and pick up crap from Ikea, etc.

What I'd really like is an RS6 Avant.. but that won't happen. I'm looking seriously at AMG's new E wagon... AWD finally... and it's coming here.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by B8 S FOR
agreed x3
Fair enough, and I'm sure it is different for every buyer, to me a high performance german wagon represents having one's cake, and eating it. Sure you can have multiple vehicles, but if you can have it all in one, you've always got the right set of keys with you, and you won't find yourself wishing you had your sports car (as per your V10 R8) when you take the country roads back from running that errand etc...

It probably helps having grown up in Europe and never having lived through the trauma of seeing a wood panelled station wagon carting your neighbours to school.

Cheers
Old 02-07-2013, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
...and I don't get all the people driving SUV's that never go off road.

A wagon gives you the handling of a car and the room of an SUV. Maybe some of you don't have kids, dogs, etc... or don't like going to home depot to pick up crap for home projects.... maybe some of you have multiple vehicles.

Regardless, there is a place for a super wagon.. and they're a ton of fun.

I daily drive my 997 Turbo... that's it... two kid seats in the back.. TWO. I love this car but it is getting old.

I'd love an RS4 as an option... why not... give me some breathing room plus I could actually go to home depot and pick up crap from Ikea, etc.

What I'd really like is an RS6 Avant.. but that won't happen. I'm looking seriously at AMG's new E wagon... AWD finally... and it's coming here.
^This.

I saw a render of an imagined E63 Black Series Wagon and unlike the Avant detractors on this thread I got a little excited.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NS2000X
^This.

I saw a render of an imagined E63 Black Series Wagon and unlike the Avant detractors on this thread I got a little excited.
Exactly. I've owned two Acura NSX's... both super charged, both fun. One was a '91, the other an '03 running about 375hp to the wheels in a car that weighed 3000lbs was awesome fun. However 2 seats... no room for the kids to tag along to the car shows, etc.

Hence I'm on my 2nd 997 Turbo. Those back seats really come in handy. I had a CTS-V wagon for a short time but I didn't like the RWD layout, just wasn't sure footed enough. Otherwise it was really nice... except for not being German. Hate to say it, but they still have a ways to go.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I would not say that anyone is wrong for liking the avant or other performance wagons, far from it; whatever floats your boat...What I mean to say is that I can't understand why the bodystyle is the standard bearer for the marque? do they mean say that the highest expresion of their current car lineup has to carry more weight, have a higher center of gravity, more drag....? who knows, maybe they are hard at work in Ingostadt figuring how to put a rear hatch and some cargo latches on an R8...

Jpr
Old 02-07-2013, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jpr210
I would not say that anyone is wrong for liking the avant or other performance wagons, far from it; whatever floats your boat...What I mean to say is that I can't understand why the bodystyle is the standard bearer for the marque? do they mean say that the highest expresion of their current car lineup has to carry more weight, have a higher center of gravity, more drag....? who knows, maybe they are hard at work in Ingostadt figuring how to put a rear hatch and some cargo latches on an R8...

Jpr
The RS2 Audi built with Porsche that launched the letters RS was a wagon. I don't recal enough of the history to know what dictated that decision, but when protecting brand niches, companies, and car companies more than most like to hark back to tradition.

They have of course expanded beyond this with the B7 RS4 being delivered also in Sedan form, and the B8 RS5 a nod to the coupe loving crowd. Not launching an RS in Avant would be like Audi launching the R8 replacement in RWD only, and saying Quattro isn't that important after all.

Edit - there was of course also an RS6 sedan, and Audi like BMW is going to spread the RS love across the range if there are people with their wallets out, as they did with the lunatic TT RS, and upcoming RS7 etc...

Last edited by NS2000X; 02-07-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Cant wait!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
I dont get it either. But to each his own
Agreed that it's all a matter of opinion. Let's not forget, there are many people out there that believe driving a 4 door "sports car" doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. The Avant just takes the logic of why most of us purchased a "sports sedan" (room for 4 vs 2) a little bit further in terms of practicality.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dave335i
Agreed that it's all a matter of opinion. Let's not forget, there are many people out there that believe driving a 4 door "sports car" doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. The Avant just takes the logic of why most of us purchased a "sports sedan" (room for 4 vs 2) a little bit further in terms of practicality.
It's not like the RS Avants don't exist... they do. That's what kills me. We'll get the RS7 but not the RS6 Avant. RS4 Avant, RS3? Maybe... maybe not... I'm not holding my breath.

Q5 with the S package? We get that? WTF. I'm tired of America being labeled as SUV hungry.... Mercedes AMG devision sold about 100 AMG wagons... and they have no problem bringing more over. That's one way to build brand loyalty.

So please explain to me what the hell Audi is up to? Just give us the damn option... If Mercedes and can do it, they should be able to.

I really don't want an RS7... it's cool and all but if I'm going to have something that big, I'd like to have the full wagon... otherwise might as well look at a Panamera. (yikes)

Quick Reply: 2013 RS4 in the USA!!!