S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2011 S4 w/ plastic water pump replaced today

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping this because.. I have the aluminum pump and had the thermo recall done a couple weeks back and checked coolant level this morning and its under the min line. When I got to work it was a little above the min line... I think I may need a pressure test I guess..... Does coolant need to be replaced when the thermo recall is done? Maybe they just didnt put enough back?
Old 09-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The saga continues. I was driving last night and heard the dreadful chime. I look at the dash and saw the thermometer warning then look to temperature gauge and see rising temperature. I pull over and see a full tank of coolant. I had it towed to Audi dealership and was notified that the pump failed. I need a thermostat and pump replaced. Unfortunately I am 2000 miles out of warranty , 52000 miles. Cost to fix is 1200. Outrageous. I placed a call to AoA and am waiting a response from them. I'll post update.

I owned an evo8 modded and had 163,000 miles with no issues. I expressed my disappointment with the dealership and AoA. I remain loyal to my dealership and AoA and hope they address this appropriately. To their credit I got a a free tow and loaner and my dealership has been solid up this point.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow ... bummer. Sorry to hear about this. I assume your car went through the service campaign to replace the t-stat and the water pump?
Old 09-10-2013, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Evo8twoS4
The saga continues. I was driving last night and heard the dreadful chime. I look at the dash and saw the thermometer warning then look to temperature gauge and see rising temperature. I pull over and see a full tank of coolant. I had it towed to Audi dealership and was notified that the pump failed. I need a thermostat and pump replaced. Unfortunately I am 2000 miles out of warranty , 52000 miles. Cost to fix is 1200. Outrageous. I placed a call to AoA and am waiting a response from them. I'll post update.

I owned an evo8 modded and had 163,000 miles with no issues. I expressed my disappointment with the dealership and AoA. I remain loyal to my dealership and AoA and hope they address this appropriately. To their credit I got a a free tow and loaner and my dealership has been solid up this point.
Evo:

I JUST started a new thread literally a half-hour ago with this same issue! My 2011 has 62,000 miles and this exact thing just happened to me last Saturday. Now I'm getting really pissed....
Have you heard back from the dealership or AOA?
Old 09-11-2013, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TDIII
Evo:

I JUST started a new thread literally a half-hour ago with this same issue! My 2011 has 62,000 miles and this exact thing just happened to me last Saturday. Now I'm getting really pissed....
Have you heard back from the dealership or AOA?
TDIII - You need to make that phone call to AoA. I'm still waiting on some things with AoA at the moment but you need to a get a service rep and remain in contact with him/her. And to answer your initial question, yes AoA did get back to me. I'll provide an update later this week.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

TDIII - You need to make that phone call to AoA. I'm still waiting on some things with AoA at the moment but you need to a get a service rep and remain in contact with him/her. And to answer your initial question, yes AoA did get back to me. I'll provide an update later this week.
Evo:

Let us know what AoA does for you. My SA worked with the regional Audi rep for my area and was able to get them to cover most of the cost. Mine had 62,800 miles when towed to them. As I understand it, yours is at 52K miles, right? If so, Audi should cover 100% or your repairs in my opinion, if for no other reason for customer goodwill. I had a long discussion with my SA when I picked up the car this morning. There was a TSB issued on 4/1/11 for this very issue, but my VIN was not within the range (he showed me on his computer). What he explained to me was that even though a TSB was issued, they would not apply it until if and when the car has to be serviced for the issue covered by the TSB. It just so happens that mine failed AFTER the warranty expired.

I think the real issue here is that more and more of these plastic thermostats are going to start failing and if that happens, Audi needs to be proactive and extend the warranty for this condition within this engine. We, as consumers, shouldn't have to purchase costly extended warranties to cover a damn part that should last the life of the car in the first place!

Let us know what AoA does for you.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

......There was a TSB issued on 4/1/11 for this very issue, but my VIN was not within the range (he showed me on his computer). What he explained to me was that even though a TSB was issued, they would not apply it until if and when the car has to be serviced for the issue covered by the TSB......
In April 2011, I received a letter from AOA about "Service Action Campaign 19H3/4F - Engine Thermostat Replacement" which mentions the thermostat may stay closed under certain conditions.

The letter tells me to contact the dealer for replacement.

This sounds more like a recall, than just a TSB. I had mine changed in Spring 2011. They even sent a claim form with it for reimbursement & address change form.
Attached Images  

Last edited by m444; 09-11-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by m444
In April 2011, I received a letter from AOA about "Service Action Campaign 19H3/4F - Engine Thermostat Replacement" which mentions the thermostat may stay closed under certain conditions.

The letter tells me to contact the dealer for replacement.

This sounds more like a recall, than just a TSB. I had mine changed in Spring 2011. They even sent a claim form with it for reimbursement & address change form.
Can you remind me again what your build date was? Mine was September 2010 and I never received that letter. Wonder if its tied to the VIN?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

Can you remind me again what your build date was? Mine was September 2010 and I never received that letter. Wonder if its tied to the VIN?
My 2011 build date was June 2010. Yes, the letter is tied to the VIN.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update can be found here.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...1#post24495978