S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2011 DSG vs 6MT stock DYNO... Dyno Dynamics

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 DSG vs 6MT stock DYNO... Dyno Dynamics

Hey guys, I know I am a little late to the mod game vs some of you, but what the heck. I know there are people asking for mod gains step by step on independent dynos.. so I figured why not make another post to help people along the way.

I had the pleasure of meeting a fellow Audiworld/Audizine member (Trinacria) at some random visit to Bestbuy a few weeks ago, where after spotting a Quartz Gray/Titanium S4 parked up front, I hunted the owner inside like a lunatic LOL. John is a really good guy and shares the same passion for cars and the S4 that I do.

At a local car meet up, John twisted my arm and convinced me to get the APR tune with him at Waterfest since it was so convenient. We decided that we would also dyno the cars pre and post tune to compare the 6MT vs DSG and also the tune vs stock and future mods on the same dyno.

Trinacria's car: 2011 Quartz Gray DSG, Sports Diff, ~ 9000 miles, Stock
Tsivas27's car: 2011 Meteor Gray 6MT, Sports Diff, ~2700 miles, Stock

Dyno Facility: No Limit Motorsports
Dyno: Dyno Dynamics. Dyno Dynamics Dynos feature an electronic load system, able to simulate real life driving, instead of spinning rollers to get a number. They tend to show lower numbers than the Dynojet and Mustang Dynos.
Temperature was 92 degrees that day.

A few pics/videos
Triancria's Car

My Car

Brief Video of Dyno Runs..

Trinacria DYNOSHEET (312.4 HP/328 TQ)

Tsivas27 DYNOSHEET (310.5 HP/323 TQ) with Trinacria dyno superimposed. My numbers are in red, his are in Blue.

Now a couple of things..
-His car and my car went back to back with his car going first. I followed about 25 mins later.
-There is a small power difference between the two cars. We thought the 6MT would make more power.
-Could it be that my motor isn't broken in yet (2700 miles)? What effect did my car sitting around for 25 mins and going second have on the dyno?
-I also added about 3 gallons of 100 octane to 3 gallons of 93 octane to an empty tank the day before we went. The reason I did this was because I had some timing pull on some of my Vag Com datalogging that I did a few nights earlier with this intense heat we had been experiencing and figured it would help. The air/fuel ratios of his car stayed around 13.1-13.2 for all three runs while mine stayed around 12.7-13.0 for all three runs.

As far as stock Datalogging with the Vag Com-** I did about 5 runs stock running the typical parameters that APR suggested to do with the same stretch of road, same temp etc. I chose third gear instead of fourth gear for the vag com data logging for obvious reasons, and had no real room to max out fourth gear properly and safely.

Stock boost..

Stock max MAF readings ** ~1030 kg/h or 286.1 g/s
Stock max boost ~ 11.2 psi

We mozied down to Waterfest on Sunday morning in a small car caravan (2 B8 S4s, 3 B7 RS4s, B7 A4 Avant) with zero incident. Trinacria and I were in and out very quickly. Props to APR for a very efficient experience and it was good meeting Arin. Their tents/ product areas were the best and biggest and had the most people hanging around. Quite the production I have to say.

I have only logged about 150 miles with the APR tune and I did 3 quick vag com runs today but wow is it awesome!! The pull is quite nice in the upper rpms for sure. Thanks again APR.

New Vag data logs..
max MAF is ~ 1220 Kg/h or 336 g/s
Max boost hit 1917 mbar or 13.1 psi for all three runs, and no boost loss after 5000 rpms!. []

I will do some proper data logging and graphing comparing the two in next few days.

Oh some B7 RS4 content .. there is a member that posts on the RS4 forums.. he can chime in if he wants....pretty stock RS4.. recent carbon cleaning.. H pipe, resonator delete and K&N...
We had some runs together when I was still stock.. 2nd gear to top of 4th run (on closed road of course).... DEAD EVEN to the point that our mirrors were side by side.

There was an RS4 that dynoed at No Limit recently also.. he had pre and post carbon cleaning dyno's done..
It's not meant to be a direct comparison.. but still, you can draw some conclusions from the same dyno and us having worse testing conditions with very hot temperatures outside (90+ degrees). The cars are definitely running good. A better comparo would be a car running the same day as us.

I'd say Audi has definitely underrated our cars output and the data has shown so (dyno and several highway runs with higher hp RS4).

We will be posting post APR tune dynos soon,(Elite dynoed between 357-360 whp on the same dyno when they ran their APR tuned s4) as well as dynos for each future mod in increments, and Gopro video of any updated RS4 runs on that closed highway. Should be soon. Also trying to get a few RS4's to come dyno at the next session.

Last edited by coupesta; 07-25-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great post! Can't wait to see the post-tune numbers.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, will keep u posted.

We might be also comparing two aftermarket intakes after we redyno post tune.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Does anyone else find the variation in reported stock numbers "odd". Here we have someone reporting 312 HP stock and I've seen other dyno's here in the mid-270's.

I doubt our cars vary that much from car to car. So this would suggest that frankly the dyno results from all these random shops are highly unreliable.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
Does anyone else find the variation in reported stock numbers "odd". Here we have someone reporting 312 HP stock and I've seen other dyno's here in the mid-270's.

I doubt our cars vary that much from car to car. So this would suggest that frankly the dyno results from all these random shops are highly unreliable.
Different manufacturer's dynos definitely show different numbers... The important piece is to establish a reference and then test under as close to the same conditions a possible... Always using the same dyno (or course).

Comparing numbers from differnet dynos is pretty useless...

Mike
Old 07-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Banned

hopefully Tony gets a JHM tune and 2.75 exhaust. That should end any concerns over his car's performance vs. a tuned B8
Old 07-21-2011, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes only useful comparisons I care about are cars tested on the same dyno we are using under similar conditions, and the delta between my dynos post any mods. . An rs4 and several b8 s4s have been on this dyno recently. Comparing different dynos from different facilities is useless .
Old 07-21-2011, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Saki - what are JHM tuned rs4s with exhaust running whp wise ? Just curious. Elite has dynoed 360 whp on B8 S4 post tune on this dyno.

Originally Posted by sakimano
hopefully Tony gets a JHM tune and 2.75 exhaust. That should end any concerns over his car's performance vs. a tuned B8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1lSl...e_gdata_player

Post carbon clean and APR tune. 328 hp/280 tq

Is JHM making that much more power for NA application? 40+ hp to wheels?

Should still be close given we should have similar whp figures and +60-80 more tq at wheels ?

Quarter mile times for JHM tune RS4..etc..

Quarter mile times for some tuned and stock S4s.

Doesn't someone have JHM tune here on Long Island?

I think Tony is trying to get a few RS4s to dyno with us

Last edited by coupesta; 07-21-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Coupesta,

How did they "drove" the DSG car on the dyno. Pop the shifter over into manual, set it for dynamic mode (if Drive Select?) and Traction control off?

I took my 2011 S4 DSG to a dyno (admittedly not an audi experienced shop). We put it in "Manual" mode, dynamic ADS and traction control off. Got it up to 4th gear (I see you guys did 3rd?) around 1800-2K rpm and then floored it. Problem was even in M mode it shifted up to 5th around 6700 RPM. I guess override comes in? He said something about a lot of Euro cars have a switch at the end of the pedal travel or something, so the next time he didn't floor it, but that makes me wonder if it was at 80-90% of throttle.

Can you speak to this, or how they drove. what modes or etc used when doing the pulls?

Thanks!

Plan to go back to a place with more audi/vw tuning exp who has a Land and Sea 1000 Dyno (dunno if this is any good) and see what is up.

-Joel
Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Flooring it will hit the kickdown, you need to give it about 90-95% pedal, which will have the throttle at 100% open but not engage kickdown to drop a gear when you start the accel. Also many 2011's seem to early shift when in manual mode, I would just do what I described above and once you are accelerating, move the shifter back to "D" and leave it in Dynamic with traction off, and you should get a 6900+ shift.

Quick Reply: 2011 DSG vs 6MT stock DYNO... Dyno Dynamics