S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

2010 S4 or 2008 RS4??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 S4 or 2008 RS4??

Former B5 S4 owner here looking to get back into an Audi. Dealer has a 2008 RS4 with under 4K miles and a new fully loaded S4 with DSG. Have any of you gone from an RS4 to the new S4? Or does anyone own both? This will be a daily driver for me. My Z06 gets me my high performance fix but the sound of that RS4 is sweet! Besides the high tech goodies on the new S4, any other show stoppers you guys can think of? Thanks!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think they're both great cars. If you like new-tech, then get the S4. The sport diff and next-gen MMI interface are pretty cool. The S4 will likely to be a better DD if your commute includes a lot of stop and go traffic.

The RS4 is a special car, and there's just no other way to put it. It looks special, sounds special, and I'll probably keep mine for the foreseeable future, which is a feat for me since I usually get car attention-deficit-disorder at around month 18 of ownership.

I had the chance to drive a B8 S4 across Germany over the summer and it was a fun car. It's very quiet and to me, almost too much of a sleeper. In fact I bet your MDX has a deeper intake snarl than the S4. In terms of exterior design, Audi should have done something other than badges, pipes and mirror caps. The US-spec wheels aren't Audi's prettiest. A new take on the RS4 wheels and decently flared fenders would have separated it from the A4 a bit more, in my opinion.

It just gets down to personal taste, really. You've got your ZO6 as the fast, loud, obnoxious car in the stable. The RS4's V8 makes a completely different sound, but still sounds absolutely fantastic. Somewhere between a German wail and an American roar. And to me, that's what seals the deal. The thrilling soundtrack of an engine is what's been programmed into my head since birth - and the S4's engine, while amazing in its own right, just does nothing for my soul. And to me that's what it's all about.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your input. The gearhead in me wants the RS4 but the high tech stuff in the S4 is attractive. The RS4 is certified so I would have about 5 years left of coverage - that could be key.

Your white RS4 is very cool - the one at the dealer is sprint blue - my Z is LeMans Blue - wife thinks I'm nuts. She says the two blues "clash". Ugh.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

As for sound, you'll never be able to get the 6 cyl to sound like 8 cyl, but there is always the aftermarket option on exhaust.

I still haven't made up my mind completely. That RS exhaust note is beautiful and I think I might want something a bit louder/freer, but there are days I'm very happy that the S4 can be so muted.

I know I want my cake and to eat it too, but I wish there was some aftermarket co that could get those butterfly valves into the exhaust, so one can get the best of both worlds.

one last question... you said S4 was DSG, was the RS 6sp? I think there is a bigger question there.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

DMAN - RS4 doesn't come with any type of auto or DSG. I drove the new S4 today and it is indeed nice but I am leaning toward the RS4. There's enough torque that shifting can be kept to a minimum if you're not hustling. Thanks!!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ah cool. I just say that because I have the 6 speed S4... I like having 3 pedals

I think you will be most happy with either choice you go with. ENJOY!
Old 10-23-2009, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Recently went through the same choice and when everything was said and done, the RS4 won in my heart. Like mentioned before, there is just something truly special about the RS4. The engine, seats, exhaust (sport mode), body, and especially the color (sprint blue) just make the car stand out. This does bring up another point maybe not yet mentioned, the attention the car gets. The RS4 just loves to draw attention. No matter how far away in a parking lot I park, there always seem to be one or two cars around checking out the car. Heck, I was pulled over after purchasing the car because the cop wanted to check it out; he had a real lame excuse. The only real issue I have had so far is the SD/MP3 card player. For some reason I cannot get the random/shuffle feature to work like it should.

Either way, both are great cars and you cannot go wrong with either one. So good luck.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Das4psu - I went with the RS4 - Sprint Blue 2008. Love the car!!

And I agree about the MP3 thing - the previous owner left his SD cards in the slots and I actually like the selections but can't seem to get it to play anything except what's in the first directory. Even sitting there with the manual open in the car I can't figure it out. Oh well - shut off the radio and drive, right?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats on the new car.

I know there is a setting to change what directory the MP3’s are played from. I think it is under the SETTINGS tab (bottom right corner) when you are playing MP3’s. The radio has been the only low point about this car but, like you said turn it off and drive…