S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

150 miles so far...some thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 150 miles so far...some thoughts

'14 S4 Manual w/MMI

I'll skip the stuff we know is awesome, the stuff we bought it for. I have ZERO buyer's remorse, but, no car is perfect.

Good things I didn't know I'd get, either b/c I was just focused on the driving aspect of the car, or didn't read enough here :

1. Hill assist for starting in 1st or R on a hill. Not that I am a 16 yr old learning how to use a clutch, but I have to admit I loved it when my wife had to back up our steep driveway and I didn't have to endure burnt clutch smell.
2. Cargo net!
3. Different audio modes aimed at Front/Driver/Rear/All. They are all just different, not stand out as perfect. Not sure it's really helpful.
4. Cupholders have spring loaded braces. I never noticed that before, holds nicely.
5. Lots of interior lighting, overheads are bright and even.
6. Particularly intense new car smell. Intoxicating.
7. Console lid adjusts up.
8. When low on gas, MMI prompts you to find a close station. Nice, but are these all top tier gas stations?

Niggles:
1. Sometimes the backup camera doesn't switch off right away coming out of R. Not sure why it feels the need to mute my audio just b/c I am backing up. I can hear the beeps just fine with Zeppelin blasting.
2. Cig lighter, ashtray is completely useless. My fingers can barely close that lid. I'd much rather have a simple cubby with usb charger.
3. The giant smart key. Maybe I am old, but I really don't see the advantage over just a regular key, or one with buttons integrated into the key. My 2000 bimmer had a key with open/close/trunk on it. It doesn't really fit on a keyring and and then in my pocket.
4. I would like the steering wheel to have just a little bit grippier texture.
5. I wish the doors were lower, so I could rest my arm there more easily. It's too high, and raising the seat messes up driving position.
6. Passenger Airbag warning light. I spent 30 mins determining that it wasn't defective.

Would be nice to haves:
1. USB charger in console.
2. Same grippy texture at the bottom of the narrow slot on the sides, too.
3. A program for high performance, not just a high efficiency one, always nagging you about up-shifting 3->5 to save gas.
4. MMI knows how fast I am going and what the speed limit is where I am. Send me a little warning when I an n MPH over it (configurable).
5. 19" All season tires as an option.
6. Max->Off adjustable Passenger airbag warning light.
7. Heater for back of seat, too.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgfanjeff
3. Different audio modes aimed at Front/Driver/Rear/All. They are all just different, not stand out as perfect. Not sure it's really helpful.
A subwoofer volume **** would make it perfect

8. When low on gas, MMI prompts you to find a close station. Nice, but are these all top tier gas stations?
It finds the nearest gas station in it's database. Not always a place you would want to stop at.

1. Sometimes the backup camera doesn't switch off right away coming out of R. Not sure why it feels the need to mute my audio just b/c I am backing up. I can hear the beeps just fine with Zeppelin blasting.
You can increase the backup volume in the MMI settings. I set mine to 10. If your current volume is lower than the specified value, it will stay low.

2. Cig lighter, ashtray is completely useless. My fingers can barely close that lid. I'd much rather have a simple cubby with usb charger.
Lift up the center arm rest. There is a 12V outlet there you can plug in your favorite USB charger. You can also buy a USB charger cable for the ipod dock in the glove box.

4. I would like the steering wheel to have just a little bit grippier texture.
Apply some Lexol leather conditioner. That seems to help.

7. Heater for back of seat, too.
Me too!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can adjust the standard radio volume during backup in the MMI. The camera stays on until the earlier of going 9 MPH or 15 seconds after shifting out of reverse. There is also an audible speed limit warning you can set in the MMI. Personally, I hate it but it is there. Finally, be careful with styrofoam cups in those cup holders. They can be punctured.

Most of all, enjoy the car!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:41 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You raise some legitimate points both good and bad.

1) Back up camera switches off at about 9mph. Might be able to be changed with a vag com.

2) You can buy a cable http://audiusaparts.com/pages/index....0&pageid=13669 that will plug into the interface in the glove compartment to give you a USB port if you want one.

3) 2014(or was it 2013) was the first year Audi offered ANY A/S tires as an option. Albeit 18"ers. I too would have ordered 19" A/S tires had they been available. If you want them, you can easily sell the OEM tires and get new rubber. I'll wear out the oEM 19" Contis and then put on 19" A/S tires.

4) Not that I would do it, but you could take a fine Scotchbright pad and roughen the surface of the steering wheel SLIGHTLY. In fact, I like the feel of the wheel.

5) I believe that our Canadian friends do get rear seat heaters. FOR me, I rarely have beack seat passengers that need their buns warmed. BTW, this car gets warm air out of the HVAC faster than any car I have ever had, regardless how cold it is outside

6) I ignore the passenger airbad warning light. It continuously goes on and of when I have my dog(s) in the front seat. Covered, of course

Last edited by DrGP; 12-31-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thx for the helpful replies...I had forgotten about the 12 V outlet in there. I also hadn't found the volume settings during back up in MMI. That's two niggles down!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

The backup camera staying on while you are pulling forward is so you can see if you are still being followed by the 'bad guys'! LOL

One other really cool thing (if you haven't found them yet) are the grocery bag hooks in the trunk. They fold flat against the "ceiling" on the inside of the trunk and tip down to hold grocery bags from sliding around. I think they are ingenious and use them all them time.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, the trunk in all respects exceeds my expectations I honestly never looked in it while is was shopping. All I knew was that there was a pass through!

Checked on the MMI to USB micro adapter. $50. Ouch. I'll look for a ipod to usb micro adapter, maybe that will work for alot less money.
Maybe the dealer would swap it for me...
Old 12-31-2013, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have something like this in the center console: http://amzn.com/B008LM45I2

Simple and cheap just not a lot of room in there.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

People mentioned this, but this is so your camera doesn't have to shut off and on over and over when you parallel park. Get up to speed a bit and it'll shut off.

I couldn't close the lid easily over the ashtray (change holder, for me) until I realized it's not meant to be yanked backwards hard--instead just give it a push forward a bit more and it'll release and close by itself.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s4affectionado
People mentioned this, but this is so your camera doesn't have to shut off and on over and over when you parallel park. Get up to speed a bit and it'll shut off.

I couldn't close the lid easily over the ashtray (change holder, for me) until I realized it's not meant to be yanked backwards hard--instead just give it a push forward a bit more and it'll release and close by itself.
Ok, that's two more down The backup camera thing makes sense.
I also located the little switch that releases the ashtray.