S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

$500 Test Drive - I'm a Dope

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealers insurance deductibles are 2500 or 5000. So you're SOL, its the right thing to pay for the tire.

If you buy a car from them Im sure they will waive the cost of the tire, but they probably figure you were just out taking their car for a spin whick pretty much puts you at fault.

wouldnt you expect them to pay for your tire if the roles were reversed?
Old 07-07-2012, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carguy19
The dealers insurance deductibles are 2500 or 5000. So you're SOL, its the right thing to pay for the tire.

If you buy a car from them Im sure they will waive the cost of the tire, but they probably figure you were just out taking their car for a spin whick pretty much puts you at fault.

Did you read any of my posts? I pretty much said I would pay for it, but as I acted in an honest role I expected them to do the same. Give me an honest and fair deal. Especially considering the circumstances. The difference is that I wont sink to their level.

They quoted me a price almost $3000 over invoice (that is AFTER taking another $500 off their initial quote to balance the tire issue out) as if they were cutting me a great deal. At this point I figure any dealer that would act like they have when trying to get my business would be worse after getting it.

So bottom line it cost me $500 to learn that they are a crappy dealership and not willing to build a relationship with me. Cheaper than having to argue with them every time I need a service call or something adjusted. Little do they know that my wife wants the new Q5 S version and will be up for it next year.

Silver Spring Mile One of MD gets

Last edited by Evlengr; 07-07-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I paid close to $400 for a stock Dunlop 19" tire. That includes labor etc.

I would not usually buy tires from a dealer, but I got a nail in my tire on my way to my dealer, so...
Old 07-08-2012, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carguy19
Speaking of role reversal, some furniture at my office was recently shredded by a guy wearing jeans that had jewels all over the butt (beats me). When he sat down I heard the upholstery rip, and that piece of furniture costs a hell of a lot more than a tire. As much as it hurt, I wrote it off as the price of doing business. Have to see the big picture.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
Speaking of role reversal, some furniture at my office was recently shredded by a guy wearing jeans that had jewels all over the butt (beats me). When he sat down I heard the upholstery rip, and that piece of furniture costs a hell of a lot more than a tire. As much as it hurt, I wrote it off as the price of doing business. Have to see the big picture.
Well apparently they dont see the big picture as I am not buying an S4 from them and my wife will be looking for a similarly priced vehicle in less than a year. So that's two sales they have lost.

It's not so much the $500 hit for the tire and wheel. It's the fact that they acted as if they were doing me a big favor offering me an S4 priced $2800.00 above invoice claiming they had that was the discounted down price ($500.00) in reciprocity.

Never ceases to amaze me that most dealerships ignore the internet and its power at their own peril or profit. I had one sales guy say I don't read those sites they're wrong. Well sir your customers read "Those" sites. Maybe, just maybe you should know what they know.

Anyway, I plan on paying for the damages tomorrow. Insisting on having the tire that was damaged (purely cosmetic), finding out what the price of the tire really is, and then sending a nice long letter with a proof of sale (from the other dealership) to the GSM of Silver Spring Audi and see what happens. Probably nothing, which will only re-enforce the premise that the $500 saved me multiple headaches later down the road.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Evlengr
Well apparently they dont see the big picture...
Exactly. I think they could have made up that lost tire money easily by treating you as one would treat a guest in one's home.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

W
Anyway, I plan on paying for the damages tomorrow. Insisting on having the tire that was damaged (purely cosmetic), finding out what the price of the tire really is, and then sending a nice long letter with a proof of sale (from the other dealership) to the GSM of Silver Spring Audi and see what happens. Probably nothing, which will only re-enforce the premise that the $500 saved me multiple headaches later down the road.
Make getting the tire back as condition for payment. No tire, no money.

It is to bad it will be useless to you since you seem to be getting 18" tires, but you can always sell it yourself at a discounted price.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Silver Spring Audi - Run Away

Originally Posted by av_audi
Make getting the tire back as condition for payment. No tire, no money.

It is to bad it will be useless to you since you seem to be getting 18" tires, but you can always sell it yourself at a discounted price.

They got "rid" of the tire. Was going to fight them on it, but just want to be done with them. Silver Spring Audi..Beware run away!!!!!! Guess it is better to find out now that they treat their customers like crap before I bought from them, rather than be tied to them after buying one.

They charged me 361.90 for the tire. I looked it up on tire rack $298.00 Thoroughly disgusted with them. I will now make a conscious effort to educate anyone who wants to do business with them.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well apparently they dont see the big picture as I am not buying an S4 from them and my wife will be looking for a similarly priced vehicle in less than a year. So that's two sales they have lost.
Too bad for them... FWIW I have had horrible luck with Tischer Silver Spring, although this was on the Porsche side. Long story short, my lawyer was called prior to leaving the dealer and they finally backed off when one of their own techs admitted to the condition of the car _prior_ to the work. Then again, Len Stoler was unable to put PS2s on in the proper directional alignment, so best of luck finding a good middle ground. Neither of them will be seeing a dime from me for any brand of car.

FWIW My original A4 was purchased from Rockville in '98 and I always loved working with them... no issues, including a turbo replacement under warranty after a chip tune. This time around Audi of Hunt Valley was willing to work with me on the price, and they were able to get a relatively early allocation. YMMV.

/jer
Old 07-10-2012, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

They got "rid" of the tire.
Sure they did. I bet the same tire is on the same rim on the same damned car right.

Quick Reply: $500 Test Drive - I'm a Dope