S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Where is it written that if you like BMWs you have to hate Audis?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where is it written that if you like BMWs you have to hate Audis?

Or visa versa. Where does Mercedes fit in? Can we be so shortsighted to fail to see the merits cars from both manufacturers. I personally think it is ridiculous since I feel that both BMW and Audi make some really nice cars.(I know very little about MBs) What I have problems with is the very poor lease rates that Audi has been offering lately and the dropping of the free maintenance. These factor have influenced my decision as to what I am driving more so than the actual cars themselves. I have been happy with cars from both BMw and Audi and have leased multiple cars from both makes.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same place where it's written that if you like the Red Sox, you must hate the Yankees
Old 09-05-2007, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IRISH hate the Trojans
Old 09-05-2007, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Probably vice versa. Trojans will always look up to the Irish.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Ego

I think that when people pay the premium for a higher performance car they enjoy the feeling that it can outperform the average car they encounter. However, when another car can outperform your premium car and it costs less, I see people getting uncomfortable. If it's a mustang or camaro, the euro-lux-performance driver will dismiss it as an unsophisticated, poor plastic interior, American built car as one that can't really be compared. All the less expensive SRT8 Dodges outputing 420BHP don't count either.

In this case a very nicely built euro-lux-performance car is very threatening. It is nearly $10K less for the same torque over 1500 RPM's sooner. It weighs less. It can be modified with significant results without needing a $25K vapor-ware supercharger. Plenty of other superlative qualities needn't be listed here, you know what they are.

Three years ago on this forum, everyone clung to the Top Gear S4/M3 comparo and insisted their Audi was faster and it made them feel better. Later people quieted as real world encounters gave them greater respect for their rival M3. But to have the car under the M3 outperform the Audi really freaks people out.

Me, I love my S4 cab. However, when my lease is up in march '08 the 335i Cab is top of my list. I don't want to extend the lease to wait for a S5 cab that will be cost $10K more and be outperformed. I will really miss the exclusivity and styling of the Audi and the option of air conditioned seats, but I can't justify the cost on those two things alone unless I completely identify my ego with my car.

ps the addition of awd to the 335 and G37 will hurt Audi's sales IMO
Old 09-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Jim VP

Default True gearheads appreciate the merits of most cars; I was thinking about you...

driving to work this morning. How is the 335i doing? I'm starting to dream about the new M3.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:02 PM

Default I've thought the same thing for many years...

I've owned both brands and enjoyed the merits of each. Automotive brand loyalty has been evident since I can remember; Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge, Honda vs Nissan vs Toyota. We tend to defend what we drive as if the very car defines who we are. I guess it goes back even farther to when a man was defined by is horse. Males are so competitive and ego driven that there is a constant need to establish and re-establish themselves in their eyes and the eyes of those around them. Look at birds in nature...the males constantly prim and pose in hopes of attracting a mate and at the same time, influence rival males to back off and "recognize". We don't have feathers, so I think that's what we do with our cars, clothes, houses, jobs etc. These are the visible things that superficially define our success and mate worthiness. Thus, we often staunchly defend our feathers. It's not rational, but it is what it is. I chose my car because it provided the best, performance, design, practicality, exclusivity and just plain overall enjoyment over the Beemers of the time. Just my thoughts, but I'm with you Doc.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:27 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It isn't written anywhere GP. Hell it's an assumption...lol. )
Old 09-06-2007, 05:30 AM

agree
Old 09-06-2007, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Its not. I think if you post something showing that Audi is inferior to another brand (BMW/MB) and..

owning that other brand then you would be considered a hater and/or trolling because youre doing it on an Audi site. Maybe the general discussion area would be better. Most are here to chat about audi's S4s and things related, like **** : )All know that the S5 is a better car overall but you cant put a number on that therefore, people flare up(so what if its quicker). If I posted a video of me beating a 335i (not, but so what) or me posting a professional review of an S5 beating the 335i on a bmw forum, I'd think it would not be taken well esp if i were an S5 owner. Youre a 335 owner, many dont know your history with the S. Its life, you chose it and I respect it but next time OT it or some other chat site. .... just my 2 cents : ) someone give me my 5 minutes back - waaahh! Am I wrong????

Quick Reply: Where is it written that if you like BMWs you have to hate Audis?