S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Volvo S60r from last C&D, small words about the S4...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo S60r from last C&D, small words about the S4...

Btw, if anybody wants me to take a picture (no scanner but a dig. camera) of the three pages, I could do it and post the whole article.

Basically they say that the S60r is hell of a car since it's near the 330xi and A4 3.0 in pricing and is no comparaison to those two. They said it was a bit slower than the S4 and M3 but very similar in performance. They said the AWD system that is mainly 90% front and 10% rear until there is some slipping is not the greatest AWD system. They said that if you can't afford the 8-10k more for a S4-M3, the S60r is the car since it offers similar performance and comfort.

Sylvain
Old 07-10-2003, 03:57 AM

will probably go with S-60R myself due to the pricing of the S4.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:06 AM

Default Here are some actual leasing numbers I got from leasecompare.com +

regarding the S60 R. They look a lot better than similar Audi programs.

2004 VOLVO S60 SERIES, 4d Sdn R

Term 51 Months Lending Source Lease Quote A
Mileage Allowance 60,000 total miles Current Retail $43,000
Residual Value $19,780 Purchase Price $42,000
Money Factor 0.00192 Cap Cost Reduction $0
Mileage Penalty $0.18 per mile Monthly Payment $570
Gap Insurance Included Security Deposit $0
Acquisition Fee Included ($695) Disposition Fee $395
Purchase Option $20,130 Total Due at Signing $570 + tax & license
Old 07-10-2003, 05:35 AM

The S-60R seems like a great car - but I can't seem to generate any excitement over it.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Couple of things... Volvo's suck and here is why....

The styling is just ugly.
The car is Sweedish made. Cars that come from Sweedan are Saab and Volvo. Enough said there.
I guess until you drive or own a Volvo you might not realize this. But going from a great German car like the A4/S4 to a crap box like a Vovlo isn't so great. You will miss the refinement and luxuries of the Audi.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Biased much?
Old 07-10-2003, 09:15 AM

Default Volvo leases and the "excitement factor"

Volvo has very good leases. I think they have that big Ford money behind them and Ford really wants to get aggressive with Volvo. Lookout BMW and Audi.

My wife leased a Volvo S80 last Fall. She had 8 months left on a Jetta lease, and we went to Kansas City to look at possible replacement candidates. We weren't even going to get a different car yet, but they ate the remainder of her VW lease and we got a much larger & nicer $39K car with nothing down for $500 a month. 48 months/12K miles per year and includes sales tax. BTW, it's a great car!

As to the excitement quotient of the new R cars, I think Volvo dropped the ball a little in that area. All the pictures I saw of the car at the big auto shows had the car sitting much lower. The production car (as is all too often the case) has that oversprung, "flood pants" look of a much cheaper car, not that of a European thoroughbred. With most cars that's easily and cheaply fixed with aftermarket sports springs, but with the active suspension, I don't know if that'll be an option.

The second place they dropped the ball, and Audi's been guilty of this also, is the dark plastic lower body panels and trim. All that dark along the bottom is OK on a dark colored car, but it adds to the "high water" look on lighter colored cars and to my eyes just looks cheap on a car of it's caliber. I realize it is functional, but that doesn't make it pretty. I don't think too many R cars would see to much gravel road time anyway. Unfortunately, it's not easy or particularly cheap to fix. Personally, I'd just buy a black car. My wife did that also as the S80 suffers the same problem.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Couple of things... Volvo's suck and here is why....

Volvos do not suck in my opinion. We now have a beautiful black '02 S80 sitting in our stable. It's my wife's car and she formerly had an A4 Jetta. Before that car, she had a '98 BMW 528i Sport. She, and I, like the Volvo better. Looks, quality, power and comfort. The "fiver" had it beat in handling, buts that's not nearly so important with 2 small children in the back.

Whether or not a car is attractive is highly subjective. But in my opinion, most people who think Volvos are ugly are behind the times a few years. The S80, S60 and V70 have won design awards around the world and I happen to think that they are very attractive also. Even before those cars, at least you could tell it was a Volvo instead of just another wind tunnel inspired jelly bean.

I also don't know what your bias against Sweden is all about, but JD Powers just ranked Saab above Audi in quality so perhaps those Swedes actually know how to build something? Our S80 couldn't be any more solid. Not one problem in 11 months. Great dealership experience and great lease also.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

dumb comment edited.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:55 AM

Default Wow, you really proved that point!

"The styling is just ugly."

I disagree - I think the new designs are very nicely done.

"The car is Sweedish made. Cars that come from Sweedan are Saab and Volvo. Enough said there."

Actually, you haven't said enough at all. Both brands have pretty good reputations and loyal customer bases. I know many Volvo owners who swear by the brand.

I'm not particularly interested in a Volvo over an Audi or BMW - but you write like someone who isn't very educated about cars.

Quick Reply: Volvo S60r from last C&D, small words about the S4...