S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Should paddle shifters be active while in "D"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should paddle shifters be active while in "D"?

Hello! I am the new owner of a '04 and have a question regarding the paddle shifters on it. Since trying them out for the first time the other day it seems as tho the Tip is stuck in Sport mode. I don't have an owners manual yet so I'm not exactly sure how it's supposed to work. The car feels like there's some engine breaking going on when I come to a stop as if it's a manual box and today I noticed when the Tip is in the "D" position I could still shift the trans with the paddles. Is this normal Tip behavior? I would have assumed that the paddles would only work when the trans is in the "S" position. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2009, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i believe they work anytime you press them. sport mode just changes the shift points.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes, paddles will shift in D. Also,

engine braking is noticeable (and often useful)--maybe more than you're used to in a typical automatic?

And regarding the manual, you've of course checked under the steering column where new owners sometimes "misplace" it?
Old 03-11-2009, 04:40 PM

Default Re: i believe they work anytime you press them. sport mode just changes the shift points.

I see! I'm learning as I go and,apparently,so is the Tip! From what I'm discovering the Tip is learning my driving style with it's Dynamic Shift Program. I've had the car for just a week now and the mood of the trans has noticeably changed for the better. Now that I know that the trans is learning I am amazed how it feels now,especialy the engine breaking. I assume then I can leave it in the "S" position for as long as I like with out damage to the trans?

***gotta get me that users manual!!!***

Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-11-2009, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "S" Mode is fun but thirsty

Keep it in "D" and paddle shift to pass or downshift before a corner/on-ramp. Better on gas and similar feel to full "Sport" mode.

Enjoy!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Once you go "S" you can never go back.

Unless it's REALLY cold out and I feel guilty about those high, underlubricated revs.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My paddle shifters didn't start working in D mode until I had about 6K miles on the car
Old 03-11-2009, 08:02 PM

Default Another paddle shift question...

How do you get the car to not shift for you? My car in either D Tip or S mode, I can shift with the paddles, but as soon as I hit red line it takes over and shifts for me again. Also, if you don't shift for a while in the same gear, it shifts back to not showing you your gear and having the car control gears until you press a shifter again.

Is this normal? Is there any way to get the car to give me complete control?
Old 03-12-2009, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default When in D move the shifter to the right -- in this position the car will ---->

only shift for you at redline (up a gear) and when coming to a stop it will move the trans to 1st.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:19 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

'S' okay around town, livens the reponse. D for highway or you''ll need a gas tanker following you.

Quick Reply: Should paddle shifters be active while in "D"?