S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Saying hello again after a long time away.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saying hello again after a long time away.....

It's been awhile since I posted, last time I had my Avant sold, just couldn't do it though and kept it. It's been running pretty decent, I had the cold start issue last winter, at the dealer for 3wks and they did nothing, weather warmed up and all was fine. Warrantee expired 11/07, I'm on my own now 35k miles, learning to do things myself, also have a shop that has a free tech night (use of lifts, tools and expertise)any parts, fluids you bring yourself, likewise a competent oil change place around the corner that doesn't charge as I bring my own oil and filter.
Did 2 track events this year, all I had time for, finally used up the Conti's that came with the car. Got lucky and won a raffle held by GMP for an APR full software flash $1k, now have the stock, 91/93/100, valet and security programs and it makes a difference 28hp and 22lbft torque gains, haven't tried the 100 oct yet. It seems to have solved the cold start issue as well, 14 degree mornings still give me a good start unlike the 5-10min it took last yr.

Picked up some other goodies 10 days ago
4- 255/40/18 Dunlop SP shaved R compounds, NEW, FREE!
Miltec DP's, FREE! didn't have room for the mufflers need to get them as well.
Set of slightly used stock frozen and slotted rotors, FREE!
A 355mm 4 piston Brembo front brake kit, pads and SS lines and 2 brand new discs although the originals have plenty of wear left $1500, normally about $4k.
These are added to the set of Mille Miglia track rims with R-comps and a set of 4 piont harnesses I got FREE a yr ago.
Just looking for an MTM supercharger for FREE and I'll be done.

I have Wes (Machtig Avant v3.0) to thank for the generosity he has shown me by giving me all these items for such a great deal. There are really good people still out there.

I have one current issue that is annoying me and that is a reoccuring coolant leak, it's been fixed 2 times by the dealer under warrantee, and I know where it is leaking now, a lousy 5" rubber hose just behind the alternator, I know it'll cost $5-700 to get at for a $8 hose through the dealer, I'm going to attempt replacing it myself, a very tight space, one clamp isn't so hard to reach the one above the alt will be a pain, just don't see the need for someone to take the whole dam front off the car to take 2 min to replace a hose. Anyone else have had this problem? It leaks a cup of coolant then is fine for almost a yr, then 2 liters of coolant after driving 8mi when the engine cools the leak stops, this time however it begins to drip pretty quickly, must be a pinhole in the hose?
Old 01-19-2008, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nice to hear from you! If you see Wes, tell him hello from the Jet Jockey.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

hey old timer, I take it with all that gear you'll be at VIR in april ?
Old 01-19-2008, 05:43 AM

Default I have too have that coolant problem, but it doesn't happen all the time.

Dealer could never find the source of the problem.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Good to hear from you again.

How's Wes and what is he driving these days. Pretty much a whole different group on this forum as compared to a few years ago.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

its certainly been a while, I thought for sure you sold the avant. Good to hear she's still with you
Old 01-19-2008, 10:34 AM

Default Wes is doing great.....

Still not married, same girl for 10yrs though, she stays pretty much out of his way when he goes to the track and that was 15 times last year. He's gotten very good at it and started time trials, next one in Feb at VIR. Full course laps are 2:14-15 even with a passenger, best was 2:13 trying for 2:10 will be running on almost slicks next time, this in his '97 993 Carrera S, stock motor 280hp and brakes but roll cage, 5-points, track pads, tires, fluids, and moton suspension. Nobody passes him,and although I trust riding with him completely it will scare the hell out of the uninitiated.To save money he bought a membership a VIR and has way more days to drive with fewer and more skilled group of owners.

Those who know the layout of VIR, will know this 150mph down the back straight into and through the braking zone still accelerating, slams on the binders at the arrow, trail brakes left then right a little twitch of the tail and full throttle down the rollercoaster and through hogpen. He carries so much speed into turn 3 that he feels drifting the car completely through it is the best for him and it gives those watching a thrill as well, many thinking he'll hit the wall. In december a group from NY brought down some ex Porsche Cup cars 600hp on slicks and Wes ran rings around them all weekend.

He's all Porsche
'07 997 Carrera S on 20" Champions (just sold)
'07 GT3 Loaded, 800mi and 170mph+ around Lowe's Speedway, 1100mi and 130mph up the esses at VIR going right over the gators, His daily driver.
'97 993 Carrera S aforementioned track car, trailered, close events he might drive to.
'68 911S bought at the Pebble Beach Concourse, mint was actually a German version bought by the original owner from Greensboro NC

He is first on the list for the new Lexus LM-F in the country and still has his BMW Z8

We are trying to finally go to Germany and do the Nurburgring in July, renting a Porsche or Exotic is too expensive, Wes might have his GT3 shipped over for the 10days, actually way cheaper. I'll be doing an Overseas delivery of a Volvo XC90 since it didn't work out last summer.

He says Hello as well to all and wishes them the best.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:44 AM

Default I sure am hoping to, got to get all this gear installed and fix the leak

'07 just sucked for me right from the start, had good work lined up that got delayed, leaving me scrambling for the crumbs, add to that doing my Mothers Kitchen completely from the ground up for Free ate even more into my funds, finally just got caught back up at Christmas.
Now I'm doing her hall and master bathrooms, hall is close to done, master will be a little more involved with moving walls in all directions. April 15th my Aunt comes from Germany and maybe my Moms Cousin from South Africa she hasn't seen in 57 yrs, I'll try and make VIR.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:51 AM

Default I don't doubt it, as tight as it is, took mine awhile as well,

it is worse now though, a few drops now and then wasn't bad, 2l all at once scares me, strange though that as low as the hose is pretty much under the engine it doesn't continue to leak out, just to below the min mark on the overflow tank? I'll post an update later.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Tell him I want a ride in April

Quick Reply: Saying hello again after a long time away.....