S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Saw a DSG B6 S4

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Here's why DSG isn't yet suitable for a turbocharged 3.2 VR6 or a V8...

...<font color="003366"> You are right, the current DSG does use hydraulic actuation. But how do you think the hydraulic pressure needed to "operate" the transmission is controlled, a valve body?

The valves that allow the hydraulic pressure to move the various and sundry components in the launch application od DSG are electromechanically operated. The pressure required for application at any given speed (<i>i.e.</i> time to move component of the gearbox) is directly related to the mass of the component being moved. This also applies to work done electrically.

Full-electronic control and actuation of DSG was, at one time, proposed by Borg Warner but it was determined that the load to operate the system demanded a dual-voltage electrical system. Increased mass of many of the DSG components makes the load jump even for a so-called hydraulic system (that uses electromechanical valves. One way to address the increased load on the electrical system is to go to 42V/12V. In theory.

Remember, <i>F = ma</i> (<i>even</i> inside of a transmission) and the related equations, <i>P = mv</i> and <i>L = m(v x r).</i> </font><ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/11399.phtml">As for your comments reagrding the Bugatti Veyron, click here...</a></li></ul>
Old 06-16-2003, 05:18 PM

By "DSG batch" you do mean DSG badge, don't you?
Old 06-17-2003, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Re: Here's why DSG isn't yet suitable for a turbocharged 3.2 VR6 or a V8...

I'm not going to pretend I understood any of that, but I will be disappointed if the DSG concept cant handle any more power/torque until 42v/21v electronics are developed!.

However I still believe that we will see a DSG(ie 2x concentric wet clutches, 2x input and output shafts) based gearbox(most likely longitudinal) in a VW Group car that can handle a lot more than the announced version, before we see cars with 42v/12v electronics.

My guess would be a high performance derivative(V10 Powered?) of the next A6.

Changing the subject slightly, does your insider have any knowledge of whether Audi are working on moving the engine location back, seems like the UK press are never going to let an Audi beat BMW until the engine is in the right place!
Old 06-17-2003, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default lol...

OWNED
Old 06-17-2003, 09:13 AM

I will try to find the article where I read it and scan/email it
Old 06-17-2003, 09:16 AM

Default not quite owned

He was talking about cars and not platforms. I know that there is an A5 platform I just couldn't see that he was talking about it

For the SOP of the A3 3.2 with DSG that might be true since I'm not checking every week for new SOP dates. But it was this year the last time I checked on it.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Currently, DSG is only for engines with a transverse layout

New S4's engine has a longitudinal layout. If the Nuvolari concept (new A8 on the D3 platform in the coupe bodystyle) is any indication, a DSG transmission for engines with a longitudinal layout is only a couple of years (perhaps sometime in 2005 for 2006) away. I believe I posted a message yesterday mentioning (or speculating) on this. This is a little off topic, but for production, the Nuvolari will be the new A6 coupe and cabriolet on the C6 platform with the new A6 sedan and avant. Both the new A8 (again, on the D3 platform) and new A6 (again, on the C6 platform), just like the A4, S4 and RS4 on the B6 platform, will have engines with longitudinal layouts.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Re: Re: Here's why DSG isn't yet suitable for a turbocharged 3.2 VR6 or a V8...

<font color="003366"> There is no doubt that DSG, as it is developed, will be able to manage more torque and power without the advent of dual-voltage electrical systems. But the launch system for the TT 3.2, A3 VR6, VW R32 and a few upcoming A5 <i>platform</i> applications was engineered as the first step. Until some of the mechanizing hardware of this first DSG trans is upgraded, installing clutches that could handle addition torque slows the system's shift and clutch speed to the point where drivability is lousy.

DSG will be developed further and it will eventually be installed behind some significantly powerful engines. Just not for a few years.

As for relocating the engine (I presume you mean moving it farther back relative to front axle centerline), the Brit Books will be able to beat up on Audi for a good while. In addition to the current A4, A6 and A8, the next generation A6 also positions the engine ahead of the front axle centerline. Early work is just starting on the B7 platform. Maybe it will be shifted to transverse powertain orientation, maybe not. Hey, they can't complain 'bout the TT or A3 can they?</font>
Old 06-18-2003, 06:49 AM

Default Check again. Preferably with someone who knows.

<font color="003366">Still no TT 3.2s on the road and they were expected to hit dealers (here in Europe) by the start of May.</font>
Old 06-23-2003, 03:02 PM

send me some whatever you are smoking

Quick Reply: Saw a DSG B6 S4