S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

S4 2004: Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 2004: Starting Issues

Almost every morning it is difficult to start my car. All the light on the dashboard comes on.......but the engine does not turnover. Once I get it started its fine. After work, I have the same issue; its take about 10 mins to turnover.

I have explain this to the dealer for sometime; they changed the battery (2X). I am thinking the starter needs to be replaced.

Any thoughts on what to have the dealer check for?
BTW, I have recorded the situtation on my Camera phone for stronger evidence.

Thanks
Shonobi
Old 09-27-2009, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by shonobi
Almost every morning it is difficult to start my car. All the light on the dashboard comes on.......but the engine does not turnover. Once I get it started its fine. After work, I have the same issue; its take about 10 mins to turnover.

I have explain this to the dealer for sometime; they changed the battery (2X). I am thinking the starter needs to be replaced.

Any thoughts on what to have the dealer check for?
BTW, I have recorded the situtation on my Camera phone for stronger evidence.

Thanks
Shonobi
I and may others have had similar issues (mine in a 2004). Didn't go away until they changed the starter. Tried clutch switch and a few other things first.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=bkrichar;23859069]I and may others have had similar issues (mine in a 2004). Didn't go away until they changed the starter. Tried clutch switch and a few other things first.

YOU WERE CORRECT! THe dealer replaced the "CLUTCH SWITCH"! They noted they have seen this issue. Lets see if it is solved.

BTW: I TEST DROVE THE NEW S4! (V6 twin turbo) I like it; its different. The toys inside are amazing in comparison to the b6 s4!

THANKS for your HELP

Shonobi
Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=shonobi;23859473]
Originally Posted by bkrichar
I and may others have had similar issues (mine in a 2004). Didn't go away until they changed the starter. Tried clutch switch and a few other things first.

YOU WERE CORRECT! THe dealer replaced the "CLUTCH SWITCH"! They noted they have seen this issue. Lets see if it is solved.

BTW: I TEST DROVE THE NEW S4! (V6 twin turbo) I like it; its different. The toys inside are amazing in comparison to the b6 s4!

THANKS for your HELP

Shonobi
The "CLutch Switch" DID NOT correct the delayed starting issue! So,its back to the dealer..
BTW the new S4 is Supercharged not Twinturbo.....sorry for the error......but its still really nice.....lots of "toys" inside.

to be continued
Old 10-06-2009, 06:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same issue. They will need to replace the starter most likely.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Had a similar problem, it got worse as it got colder outside. The dealer, over the course of 6 months, and many visits replaced both clutch switches, the ignition switch and then finally after cursing them out, they agreed to replace the starter.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

End Result: The Starter had to be replaced.

Diagnosis: "Starter motor will sporadically sieze/ not turn. Power and ground to starter good.

So, if your S4 does not start immediately or gives problems starting these are the things to look for and suggest to the dealer. (I had the clutch switch replaced the previous visit.) My old dealer did not dignosis this issue for 2yrs plus which cost me money and TIME.

BTW: This is why you get or buy a car that has an extended warranty; especially non-domestic cars.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a problem with delayed starting for almost a year on my 2004 S4. In the morning, the delay would vary from about 1 to 3 seconds between the time the key was turned and the starter would spin. Sometimes it took several tries holding the key on for a few seconds each time. Once started, the car would start normally for the rest of the day. Maximum delay was experienced if the car sat for about 24 hours or more. I found that if I started the car and ran it just momentarily in the evening to break the starter loose, the delay in the morning could be minimized from 3+ seconds to less than 1 second. After reading other posts, I suspected that the starter was seizing. Troubleshooting by the dealer was going to be a tricky since it only happened after sitting about 24 hours, and only lasted for a few seconds. I decided to skip the clutch and ignition switches and have the starter replaced a few days ago. The problem is completely solved. The original starter lasted about 7 years and 90K miles. If your starter is 5 or more years old and you're experiencing this delay problem, it's going to be the starter.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

this is a great learning and trouble shooting thread. i hope to see more like this. i hate hearing how lame dealers are at solving such simple problems. thanks for replying to the thread with the solution that worked and others that had a similar experience.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by e314ds
I had a problem with delayed starting for almost a year on my 2004 S4. In the morning, the delay would vary from about 1 to 3 seconds between the time the key was turned and the starter would spin. Sometimes it took several tries holding the key on for a few seconds each time. Once started, the car would start normally for the rest of the day. Maximum delay was experienced if the car sat for about 24 hours or more. I found that if I started the car and ran it just momentarily in the evening to break the starter loose, the delay in the morning could be minimized from 3+ seconds to less than 1 second. After reading other posts, I suspected that the starter was seizing. Troubleshooting by the dealer was going to be a tricky since it only happened after sitting about 24 hours, and only lasted for a few seconds. I decided to skip the clutch and ignition switches and have the starter replaced a few days ago. The problem is completely solved. The original starter lasted about 7 years and 90K miles. If your starter is 5 or more years old and you're experiencing this delay problem, it's going to be the starter.
My 04 did the exact same thing. Especially after sitting 24 hours in cold weather. I sold it when I got my 2010 so I never knew what it was.

Quick Reply: S4 2004: Starting Issues