S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Oil consumption test in progress...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good question...

...I actually just checked the oil (300 miles into the test) and did not notice any mark, though I didn't look for one as I was really more interested in seeing where the level was at this point. Maybe they don't mark it per se. I'll look again though. I trust that they know what they're doing. They're a very competent bunch and are completely neutral on this. I will post more regarding the specifics of the test procedure, the outcome with respect to how much it used in the 1000 miles, and any remedies if there are any.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motoman makes the assumption that there is significant wear-in of the cylnders and rings required

That is often the case in Iron cylinder engines, but is not the case in glass walled engines with low tension rings. There just ain't much to wear in.

I am more concerned about not getting blow-by into the piston ring grooves. If you baby an engine too much, it is possible to gum up these grooves and mess up oil control.

I don't see a problem with your break-in technique, Robert. But I do wonder what oil you are using and how long you keep it in the engine before a change.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Re: How many miles on the oil? What oil is being used? What is the change interval?

No such thing as average driving distance, though since I live in the country 6 miles from town you could say no less than 6 miles, and maybe 100 tops for the trip from home to NYC. 50 miles each way to work, so maybe that's the average...

Oil has been changed every 5k since new. ELF Exellium 5w40.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:54 AM

Default How do I drive a car like this and never get a ticket?...

# 1 - Valentine One

# 2 - Pay attention, when on the highway especially to the rear view mirror and entrance ramps, cutouts, hiding spots, etc. Slow down in unfamiliar territory!

# 3 - Try not to be the only one going faster than the limit. In other words, don't stand out. You gotta "Blend" (like in "My cousin Vinny" LOL)
Drive fast but not erratic. Respect other drivers! At least try to look and act as responsible as possible... It helps to be as nondescript as possible too. Sports sedan is better than red Z06...

# 4 - (One of my favorites) On the highway, find a rabbit. Look for a ricer, zip past him just a bit. They can't stand that! 9 times out of 10 they'll blow by you and take off. Then you can go faster, just be sure to let him trail off. Don't worry, another will come by soon!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 AM

Oil has been changed every 5k since new. ELF Excellium 5w40.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm wondering ...

If the oil is shearing down in viscosity. We have a pretty extensive oil record for the RS4, and Elf Excellium LDX 5W-40 was the 1st oil that I tried in the engine. I found that it sheared down to a 30W oil in 3000 miles.

Of the "approved oils" Castrol TXT 505.01 holds up extremely well. You might want to try using it. This is the oil that was specified for the RS6.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default And it does actually matter *when* the dipstick is checked...

As the longer you wait the more oil is drained into the oilpan and the less the reading will be.

This is what my dealer told me anyway.

They said to measure the oil as soon as the engine is turned off (which seems to contradict what the owner manual says)
Old 09-05-2007, 10:58 AM

Thanks, I'll look into it.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:00 AM

Default I always check it cold and parked level in the garage...

...too much "noise" on the stick otherwise...
Old 09-05-2007, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You actually want to measure the oil level when it's hot

Since oil volume expands when it heats up. The factory recommends that you run the engine until it gets above 140F oil temperature, turn it off, and make the reading after 10 minutes.

If you're having trouble reading the dipstick, when you pull it out, press it onto a paper towel. This will give you a more accurate reading.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption test in progress...