S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

New to the Forum: Just picked up '04 S4

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Forum: Just picked up '04 S4

Hello everyone, new to audiworld here.

I always dreamed of audi and just yesterday I just picked up '04 S4 with 75K miles on it for pretty cheap. It drives beautiful. I am little overwhelmed by its nice quality. Since this is my first European car I am also little nervous at the same time with all the mechanical issues I could be having.

There are couple issues I am having that maybe you veterans can help me out with:

Two red warning signs. Car beeps randomly, does it mean it needs service?

1) it says coolant level is low, but the temp level is at dead middle. I checked under the hood in the morning before turning the engine, it was top of the 'min' line. Possible leak?

2) Oil level is low. I am not sure when the car did oil change but I plan to take in for the oil change anyways. But if there's no leak does it mean it's just due for a change and no leak? There's no visible leak under the car right now but under the passenger side little behind the wheel axles, there's this plastic tray. On the tray there's hole. On the hole there seem to be build up or residue of some sort of oil from long time ago. Is this possible oil leak?

thanks for reading and I just hope to clear any issues and enjoy the full potential of the s4
Old 10-08-2010, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Congrats on the new ride. I have an '04 as well. Not sure about the warning beeps unless they are the speed warnings that go off if you go over a certain MPH. You can change this if that's the case.

Might not hurt to get the coolant topped off. I have not had that warning light before, but I have had the oil level warning. You can add oil for a temporary fix, but it probably means you're due for an oil change. Mine usually goes off when it's time for service.

I've found some very useful information on this forum, and there are many helpful people on here, so I would suggest browsing around to answer other questions you may have.

Cheers.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Regarding the warning beep with a headlight icon flashing on the info screen. The car thinks the automatic headlight sensors are out. The warning lasts no more than a second so it really caught me off guard the first few times but there is nothing wrong with the sensors.

Regarding oil, mine burns about a quart every 5k with 139k miles. Nothing to worry about in my opinion.

Enjoy it, it's a ridiculously nice car.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, I should have been more clear on the warning beep. This is what has happened on mine, not trying to diagnose yours.

Originally Posted by Shmeight Distribution
Regarding the warning beep with a headlight icon flashing on the info screen. The car thinks the automatic headlight sensors are out. The warning lasts no more than a second so it really caught me off guard the first few times but there is nothing wrong with the sensors.

Regarding oil, mine burns about a quart every 5k with 139k miles. Nothing to worry about in my opinion.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmeight Distribution

Both are regular occurrences with my '04 S4 as well.
The headlight warning sensor beep sometimes happens when I hit a big bump.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats!