S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

My laundry list of issues:

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My laundry list of issues:

Picked up a '05 S4 Tip earlier this year (68K), have a few issues to address (some intermittent) and thought I would toss them out for discussions and suggestions from the group:

[Consistent]
- Passenger light does not auto-level, is not throwing up a VAG code.
- Driver window switch panel does not fully work (does not roll up the passenger side windows) and needs replacement. What are my options other than new? Is this a DIY job?
- Satellite Radio reception sucks. I know, no fix.
- Dash illumination and non-xenon lighting pulses when the car is running. Seems fine and bright when the engine is not turned over. Likely a alternator, but it almost seems like there is a repeating draw on the battery when the engine is spinning. Battery voltage seems fine.

[Intermittent]
- Occasionally the 'ESP Off' light comes on and I cannot turn it off unless I turn the car off and on again.
- Sometimes when in 'D', the tranny does not shift in 2nd or 3rd (especially when starting out in a gear higher than 1st). RPM's can go above 5k, but I can still shift using paddles.
- Repeating hum and vibration of gas pedal when cruising. May be brake issues, may be drive-train related. Tough to notice when hammering, but annoying when under light load.

[General questions]
- Interior noise from drive train and road seems to be high in this car. I know the timing chain is rear mounted, but this sounds like the drive train/tranny to me. Normal for this car?
- With a Tip driven in mixed city driving, almost always in 'D' with shifts under 3k, I am seeing 16-18 mpg. I know I have an S4 and should not be concerned about gas mileage, but I want to know if I should be checking things?
Seems like 20+ is the norm for others.

Everything else works fine

Thanks for lookin...
Old 10-16-2008, 08:59 AM

Default I think the drivetrain noise is common as I have it too.

As far as sat radio reception goes, it's about the same as it was in my Mazdaspeed3. Driving tree-lined roads blocks reception on many occasions in the S4 (same as the MS3). It does suck but fortunately it doesn't seem to be any worse than the status quo.

Whatever happens with your car, please keep us in the loop if you don't mind. I have a 2005 S4 and if some day any of those maladies start popping up it would be helpful to know what you found out.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: My laundry list of issues:

Please note this is only my opinion and that opinion is based on my ownership of a 1.8t TT.

ESP light points to a failing MAF. When the light is on it is indicating no signal from the MAF. I learned this by unplugging MAF on my TT and the ESP light would stay lit until plugged back in.

If the MAF is going bad this could be causing lower than average mpg, however 18-19 seems good. I'm seeing 20.

The trans not shifting is most likely a software issue. Check with a dealer to see if there were updates your car did not receive.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 AM

Default What I can tell you...

For me I am getting 16-18 on mixed driving in D with my 2005 Tip. I do some sprited runs to 60 at times to time the lights but 16-18 is average all around. I get like 22 on all Highway here in FLAT FL. Your SAT Radio should be fine, weird that that's an issue unless it's not hooked to the shark fin.

Other then that I have nothing for you other than I love the car and it's been good all around to me!
Old 10-16-2008, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had the dipping xenon issue on my A6, it doesn't throw a code, after replacing the unit

twice which ended up being temporary fixes my shop ended up changing the limits of the degrees the lights can travel up and down through VAG-com (set the low parameter up to the normal height level) and solved the problem. Only issue with that is that when I had 4 people in the car and the back was down it looked like I had my high beams on. That issue is a real pain in the *** but a common one on Audi's.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Gas consumption sounds about right
Old 10-16-2008, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

my 6mt can barely get 20MPG downhill on the freeway...
Old 10-16-2008, 12:53 PM

Default I consider about 240 miles per tank to be about average w/ climate control on (6mt)....

try setting your trip odo. and see if that's what you average.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default ESP should not have anything to do with MAF, maybe check engine, doubt ESP

ESP and the DME should be linked yes, but traction control will not have any type of check for that. The CEL will be on if anything
Old 10-18-2008, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What I can tell you...

I think the sat radio has the lna mounted with the antenna. If the low noise amp is bad and the down convertor you can have problem. Plus remember that the fm birds are parked west and east. If you are near tall buildings that block the east and west view of the sky an urban canyon that will limit reception. In DC I have two places where it happens and I lose lock.

Quick Reply: My laundry list of issues: