S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

My B7 just reached 50K miles. Progress report.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My B7 just reached 50K miles. Progress report.

I'm probably the first to put 50K miles on a 2006 B7 S4. Here is a rundown on my experiences with this car since I drove it off the lot almost 2 years ago. Mileage is approximate.

25,000: When I took the car in for it's 25K service, the ECU was replaced under a factory recall. I'm sure many, if not all of you had this done by now.

37,000: I drove the car from NorCal to Salt Lake City. The transmission got hot along the way and vented a small amount of transmission fluid onto the exhaust causing smoke to appear from the right wheel well. The dealership in Salt Lake City had the car for about 1 day. They removed the transmission and installed a longer vent tube to direct any overflow away from the exhaust. This is not a common problem, and I attribute it to a minor design flaw (i.e. vent tube needs to be directed away from the exhaust instead of right on top of it). My only advice is that if you're driving the car at high speed for an extended period of time, check the transmission by touch, and make sure that it isn't getting too hot. If so, let the car take a break for a few and/or slow down a bit. $1,000 repair was covered under warranty.

38,000: While I was returning to NorCal from Utah, I stopped in Reno for some food. When I started the car to leave, the check engine light came on due to one of the cylinders misfiring. I had to drive from Reno about 1 hour west to my house on 7 cylinders. I had the car towed to the dealer in Sacramento the next day. The problem turned out to be a bad ignition coil. The dealer replaced all 8 ignition coils with "updated" parts, but they had to wait for the parts to arrive and I was in a A4 loaner for 5 days. This does seem to be a common problem. If this happens to any of you, make sure the dealer replaces all 8 coils. $500 repair was covered under warranty.

45,000: When I took the car in for it's 45K, the dealer advised me to come back before the warranty expired so they could replace the instrument cluster. Ever since I bought the car, the indicator that tells you when the car needs maintenance was not resetting properly. It would come on and say that the car needed maintenance in 1K miles when it wasn't actually due for 6K. There was also a rattle coming from behind the instrument cluster that was beginning to happen more frequently.

48,500: I ran out of gas. Why? Because the fuel gauge was malfunctioning, and I ran out of gas when the gauge said I still had over 1/8 of a tank. I took the car in and the dealer replaced the instrument cluster thinking that would solve the problem. It didn't, by the way. More on that below. They also fixed the rattle. I was able to reproduce it by pounding on the dash board behind the steering wheel. It was caused by a missing bolt. I had to drive an Enterprise rental for 5 days. Everything was covered under warranty. But still.

49,500: Like I said above, replacing the cluster didn't solve the problem. I took the car in again because the fuel gauge was completely out of whack. It was going up instead of down while I was driving it. Crap like that. This time the head maintenance tech took the car for a couple of days, and drove it home at night to make sure that everything was in proper order. They replaced both fuel gauge sensors, as well as the VRS (Vapor Recovery System).

53,000: Everything is fine at the moment. The fuel gauge never did get totally fixed. I don't trust it anymore, and I refuel when the mileage on the tank reaches about 270 regardless of what the fuel gauge says, or if the low fuel warning light comes on. Sometimes it's fairly accurate, but other times it says I still have a gallon or 2 when, in fact, the tank is almost empty.

The car is running great. The clutch is still good, although I can make it slip a little in 2nd gear if I push it. I've always been of the opinion that this car needs a more robust clutch. I have replaced all 4 tires in pairs at 2 different intervals. I also had the windshield replaced because of cracks from rocks on the freeway. Other than that, I have put no extra money into the car. I wish I had bought a clear bra when the car was new. The painted front panels have extensive chips due to road debris. The hood also has numerous small chips. I plan on repainting the front end and hood at some point. Audi said they would do it for $700.

That's pretty much it. I hope this was helpful.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:57 AM

Default 60,000 on my 05.5

No major issues at all. Only minor things.

Have about three rattles that I cant pinpoint, one on the drivers door, one in the back of the dashboard and on on the right side somewhere. Got louder after warranty ended.

Had the right side window regulator replaced at about 10,000 miles and the whole left window system at about 40,000.

The latch on the center console just broke off for no good reason.

The trunk latch is acting funny, will only latch if you close it very gently when it is below about 60 deg outside.

Had both front hedlight main xenon bulbs and ecu's replaced at 48,500 miles. I started getting the headlight dipped warning about twice a day when the lights were set to auto. Took a month until the car did it when I was anywhere near my dealership until they saw it with their eyes and believed me. Hasnt happened since they replaced these parts.

One thing that has started to worry me is the oil consumption. Over the last 5000 miles I have had to put at leat .5 L of oil in the car every 750-1000 km's. I have no clue what the problem is, but this is a very large increase fromt he first 55,000 miles I drove the car. I will be taking it in for the first post warranty service soon though and will ask.

Other than that this car has been a dream. I dont think i am ever going to sell it. I want to make it the first car in my collection. lol hopefully that will be true. I love this car and have never been sorry for a second that I bought it.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Late build 05 B6 with 67,000 miles in 2.5 years

Zero issues
1/2 qt of oil usage between 5k oil changes.
Plugs and filters, gas and oil,brake pads and tires, that's it.
Still grin every time I drive.
I made a 420 mile drive in the rain yesterday and am still in awe of how great these cars are in bad weather.
No one could keep pace with me all day.
No regrets here.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default oooh...I have the same trunk latch issue...

that and the lower right side of the rear valence has peeled off....
Old 10-29-2007, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Me too. When it won't latch I can get it to stick by holding it down and pressing remote lock button
Old 10-29-2007, 05:47 AM

Mine did it too. A faulty latch, well known to dealers, updated part available...
Old 10-29-2007, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Very helpful, thanks for the write-up. I'm at 20K with no problems...yet...knock on wood.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I also had problems with the left drivers window getting stuck. Forgot about that. Oil usage also up

The left side driver's window began to get stuck at about 35K miles. I had it fixed under warranty. This problem seems to be way too common. I'm not sure what causes it. It could be due to substances on the exterior of the window clogging up the mechanism. Either that, or the mechanism itself is not very durable.

I have also noticed an increase in use of oil. There are no oil leaks whatsoever, but lately I have needed to add maybe 1/2-3/4 qt. of oil per 5K miles.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

YOU need to get out and drive more!! :-) Just rolled 30k
Old 10-30-2007, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great update. thanks for taking the time.

Quick Reply: My B7 just reached 50K miles. Progress report.