S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

HELP! Trying to decide S4 or Evo X???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Trying to decide S4 or Evo X???

I'm ready to swap my 04 allroad with GIAC etc for something a little less boat-like, and preferably faster. As I live in the SoCal mountains and snow occasionaly makes for fun then 4wd is useful. The two candidates so far are a B7 S4 or the new Mitsitbushi Evolution X - both would get modified with chip, intake and exhaust.
Any thoughts on the quandary?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the answer depends on whether you want to drive a piece of crap or not.

if you do, get the Evo.

doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to compare a car to another car that is half its price.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The new Evo X will not be 1/2 the price of an S4

Current Evo IX base is nearly $30K
The new Evo X will "most likely" have a base price around $35-$40K.

I think it's a very good alternative - the EVO X will arguably have the best AWD handling of any vehicle out there.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Impossible

It isnt an Audi
Old 11-27-2007, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Luxury and good performance versus value/economy and great performance. Depends on what you want...

I'd say on the audi boards you'll find people who feel the increase in luxury is worth more than the increase in performance but no one can make that decision for you. If you'll go overboard and end up gutting the S4 and modding the crap out of it until the luxury is gone then get the Evo and if you would always regret not having the luxury of the Audi make sure you get the Audi bc you wont get that with the evo.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default really?

based on what?

I've seen plenty of Evo's stuck on the side of the road during snow conditions. Driver error perhaps....
Old 11-27-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: the answer depends on whether you want to drive a piece of crap or not.

that heading made me laugh...funny and true
Old 11-27-2007, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

or....just some cheap tires
Old 11-27-2007, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Luxury and good performance versus value/economy and great performance. Depends on what you wan

I agree, its basically do you want to shell out the extra $$ for a more refined interior and image. The evo is kind of a boy racer look and some people believe they are too "mature" for that look (most people I know who drive evos are <25y.o.). The evo is probably slightly faster than the audi in most things due to the fact that it is much lighter and a little more geared towards the track, however, the differences (for the most part) will probably go unnoticed to the average driver. The evo is more tunable but the audi is pretty tunable and nothing beats the sound of a 4.2 V8 . Also some options like nav, auto trans, carbon fiber trim and some other misc. luxuries are not available on the evo. Both are good cars but IMO, very different, or at least, they appeal to different people but I guess if you break them both down they are four door/AWD-fast sedans. Anyway, I am happy with my S4...
Old 11-27-2007, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes, really...

This is based on the EVO IX:
(Front engine, All Wheel Drive)

FINALIST: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR -Staff opinions are split like Mac/PC or Coke/Pepsi when it comes to the Evo and the WRX STI. The current camp holds that the pricier Evo is the more sophisticated implement; more neutral in its responses with better body motion control. These attributes clearly add up to better track times and test numbers. Perhaps out of fear of the entire competition devolving into an Evo/STI shouting match, the decision was made to bring just one, and the STI got voted off the island.
--

The RS4 never made it...

Read more here:
http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0706_americas_best_handling_car_selection/all_wheel_drive.html

Plus read pretty much any review of the EVO on it's handling..

Quick Reply: HELP! Trying to decide S4 or Evo X???