S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Groaning noise from steering column

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfgangster
Over the last couple months, I've noticed a groaning noise under the exact same conditions you noted. Sometimes I can hear it in the steering column too. There may be something to your service department saying it's a control arm problem.

I had Stasis Ohlin SLs professionally installed and K-MAC bushings for the stock control arms for camber/caster adjustment. I couldn't stand the rattling associated with the K-MACs so I had Stern Adjustable Control Arms installed. Probably two weeks after that I noticed the groaning.

I'm not knocking the Sterns by the way - I'd much rather have the periodic groan (if it is caused by the control arms) than the constant rattling of the K-MACs.

I am going to take my car in to see if it could be the power steering pump as well. Maybe it's just me, but it also seems that my S4 whine has gotten louder over the last couple months too.
I have K-MAcs and they do not make a peep.

I would check the power steering pump. Sounds like there may be air bubbles and may need bleeding. Pop the power steering fluid cap off and cycle the wheel left and right. Let bubbles air to the reservoir, then repeat. If you have a lift, I would do it on a lift to avoid any excessive strain.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:30 PM

Default Actually bought PS fluid yesterday

from Audi and I'm going to try what you've suggested. I'm more concerned with the whine than the groan. I know S4s have a sort of engine whine, but it seems mine has gotten louder; almost a louder high pitched whine over the normal whine. Again, maybe it's just me, but I do have couple friends with B6s and I drove theirs and they drove mine and we all agreed there was defintely a higher pitched whine coming from my car. Thoughts?

In regards to the K-MACs, I've read a lot of posts here and other places about them. I'm not the only one that's experienced the rattling noise. Could be problem with installation, bad batch of K-MACs, not sure. Anyways, the rattling in my case was so bad that I couldn't see taking a chance with another set. Sterns are a great alternative.

I'll follow up with results of PS fluid test.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I too now am experiencing a louder rev upon starting.

to me, what i have, i'm not sure if its more of a groan or a whine. it sounds as if the engine's idle is revving higher but the needle shows its exact spot as always ( the mark right under the 1K mark).
and like you guys, the sound is noticed inside and out.

when i checked under the hood, the sound sounded like it was coming from around the rubber bely area (which looked like it was working just fine) - the sound isnt from the belt. i used to have an american car and belt sounds would show up with the weather temperature changes.

the extra groan/whine on top of the idle rev sounds like a pump (maybe oil/steering/something else) that is lacking fluids to pump.

ever since it has gotten cooler here this seems to have been happening.

no mods. all stock.

any ideas?
Old 12-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Groaning when turning steering wheel

Originally Posted by Columbus
I too now am experiencing a louder rev upon starting.

to me, what i have, i'm not sure if its more of a groan or a whine. it sounds as if the engine's idle is revving higher but the needle shows its exact spot as always ( the mark right under the 1K mark).
and like you guys, the sound is noticed inside and out.

when i checked under the hood, the sound sounded like it was coming from around the rubber bely area (which looked like it was working just fine) - the sound isnt from the belt. i used to have an american car and belt sounds would show up with the weather temperature changes.

the extra groan/whine on top of the idle rev sounds like a pump (maybe oil/steering/something else) that is lacking fluids to pump.

ever since it has gotten cooler here this seems to have been happening.

no mods. all stock.

any ideas?
Columbus

MOST IMPORTANT is to make sure your power steering resevoir is topped up. Apparently, the fluid can evaporate and there is some sort of TSB on this issue. Not sure why you would be experiencing extra revs, but it could just be the engine trying to compensate. Lift the car up and try turning the wheels with no tension.

In my case, after endless frustration with the groaning noise, I actually had the struts removed (PSS9's) and reinstalled by AWE, not the original installer. The theory was that there may have been tension trapped during the installation due to several variables which was causing the control arms to groan. So far, this seems to have worked. Very expensive solution but the next step was to just take the coilovers, out and go back to stock. The tech at AWE said the installation by the first shop was absolutely correct but it could just be the steps they went through and the way they tightened everything up.

Hope this helps in some way.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 21212
Columbus

MOST IMPORTANT is to make sure your power steering resevoir is topped up. Apparently, the fluid can evaporate and there is some sort of TSB on this issue. Not sure why you would be experiencing extra revs, but it could just be the engine trying to compensate. Lift the car up and try turning the wheels with no tension.

Hope this helps in some way.

you guys are the best! actually before the weekend i took a look at the power steering reservoir and noticed it to be low. I hadnt thought of checking it before since my car was just in for a 35K service a few months back and i only added about 2k miles since (easy city driving). so after checking i called up an audi dealer parts department and went by and picked up some power steering fluid (for a liter ~$20 w/ tax if anyone else was wondering).

When i came to add some this morning, i took a look and could see the bottom of the reservoir! - but i was happy i had the fluid ready in hand to give my thirsty beast some juice hehe.

once i added, i did a little drive around the block to make sure it went into circulation and while driving i had no noises or groaning or whines - everything seems just right now.

besides the fact that i was really lacking fluid, i totally forgot that the liquids would contract during these colder temps - good tip to remember!

thanks a lot guys!
Old 12-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 21212
Well, here's a new one. The dealer takes the car, gives me a loaner and tells me it will be two days since the parts aren't in stock. Service advisor calls late morning the 2nd day to tell me they can't do the job. Supposedly, an Audi factory warranty rep was on premises that day for a visit and noticed my car on the lift. He looked at the work order, looked at the suspension and states "I hope you are not doing any warranty work on this car's suspension". Dealer gives me back the car that afternoon. No charge, but no work.

So, now it is back to square one. I am inclined to replace the control arms but don't know what to use. Obviously, stock Audi parts are not the solution. Anyone have any recommendations for replacement control arms?
Finally got rid of the groaning noise. I bit the bullet and took the car to AWE directly from whom my local tuning shop bought the suspension parts. I had AWE uninstall and then reinstall the front coilovers making sure to go through all the steps that they would normally go through on a new installation. (yes, I have now paid twice to install the same coilovers) The tech who did the installation supposedly has done dozens of installations like this one. Although the prior installation by the local shop was apparently correct, the hypothesis here was that somehow the first shop either torqued up the coilovers incorrectly or there was tension trapped in the suspension that was causing the struts/control arms to groan. Anyway, the noise is gone and no longer driving me crazy!!