S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Driving Through the Woods on a Snowy Evening...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Through the Woods on a Snowy Evening...

I had a 2001 A6 2.7T with a 6M for five years before buying my S4 (2005 cab, 6M) and I notice a few differences in the snow that I wonder if any other multiple-Audi owners or longtime owners have felt. Also, hoping for some advice to solve one issue related.

My first Audi was an ancient 5000Q, and I was probably the 83rd owner, and while it lacked in almost every measurable category of reliability, comfort, and performance at the end of its long life, it didn't give one rat's rear end about snow. So, I decided to keep buying Audis. Fast forward to my previous car, the A6. Best car ever in the snow. With higher-profile tires, it would power through two feet of light powder like it just needed some air in the tires. Sometimes I would drive through snow I literally could not walk through without even tripping the ESP, thanks to the Nokian shoes. My fondest memories of that car came out of the cold months.

So now I have an S4 cab, which I love and have wanted since the first press release. Great all-around car, but in the snow, it has ups and downs compared with the A6. It does have a lower center of gravity, plus higher unsprung weight, so on slick pavement without accumulated snow, it is far better than the 6. Plus, the shorter wheelbase comes in handy when affecting levels of oversteer that would make Kenneth Branagh look like Droopy Dog. (Pardon the grossly obscure metaphor, it's late.) So, by those measures, the new car is great. Trouble is, I got really used to using the old car as a snowmobile. The S4 is lower to the ground by what seems like a foot compared to the A6, which with oversized Nokians looked like it was missing a "Trail Rated" emblem near each side indicator. So now in heavy drifts, I find myself needing to do some serious back-and-forth to juggle out of the deep stuff. This with Pirelli WinterSports digging their tight Italian claws in at every turn.

So, has anyone else fitted taller sidewalls for the winter, or come up with a better solution? I find myself in situations often up here in Boston where I miss the old A6, at least until I remember the smell of oil being leaked onto the turbo plumbing as I pulled up to bank windows, or the term "routine maintenance" referring to yanking 25% of the car off to replace a $3 part...
Old 01-20-2009, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The difference between a performance S car and standard Audi perhaps?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sure, so your solution is...
Old 01-20-2009, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So the problem is the car is lower to the ground than your A6?

I know you noticed this when buying it right?

As for the higher sidewalls I dont see why you couldn't, except for the fact that it will throw off the Spedo and Odometer. It will most likely change the handling characteristics on dry pavement as well.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Clearance

Yes, I did notice the difference. Duh. My fear with higher sidewalls would be impact with the suspension or fenders, which seems very likely. So are there any adjustable suspension components out there that would allow for adding some clearance for winter?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How much extra clearance are you looking for?

Go 17x7 w/ a higher sidewall and you might find enough room to avoid suspension and fender.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Do you run 17 or 18" snow tires?

I run 17", and while they do not increase my ground clearance, they definitely improve snow traction in deep snow vs. 18".
Old 01-21-2009, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default For deep snow, there is none. I leave it parked in the heated garage and drive the Power Wagon.

I know what you are saying. My old Audis would push snow over the hood. For me, my S is a fair weather sports car. I dont put the salt/cinder wear and tear on mine.