S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Dealership fcuekd me

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership fcuekd me

So i bring my car into service for 3 days for a numerous amount of things. i get my car back with a fat nail in it. I go to my service adviser and tell him what happened and he takes my car back down into the shop and puts a plug into it and sends me on my way. Now, I don't know about the rest of the people on this forum, but I don't feel safe going at high speeds with a plug in my tires, and I don't exactly drive slow. Do you guys think I'm entitled to a new tire, or do i have to live with Audi's mistake and buy myself a new tire??
Old 07-20-2007, 05:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default A plug is always only a temp fix.......... either way you need a new tire, but talk to the.....

service director (or person in charge of service) before you go replacing it. Once you replace it and they did not see it or authorize it.... you are stuck with the bill.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:10 AM

Default How worn are your tires?

If your tires are significantly worn down, putting on a single brand new tire might hurt the quattro system due to the difference in tire diameter (worn tread vs brand new tread).

I wouldn't want to drive on a plug, though. If your other tires are in decent shape, or if you can get confirmation that you can run a new tire without damaging the driveline, then I would demand a new tire from the dealership.

I don't think they owe you a new set of 4 tires, although it would be the best solution.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Well i just ordered one brand new one so if i got another new one, id have 2 brand new ones in front

and 2 less than 50% tread in back
Old 07-20-2007, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have heard different answers to the plug solution...

Some say that the new plugs now available are a permanent solution. However I would still want a patch on the inside (the true solution).

As for the difference in diameter between a worn tire and a new one don't worry. If it is within a 2% to 3% difference in rolling diameter (between old and new tires) it won't harm the Quattro/TorSen.

Audi doesn't specify in any publication including the owner's manual that this is a problem to be concerned with. The 2% or 3% figure thrown around is sort of insider info and no one as ever confirmed it.

If you did buy two new tires I would just put them on the same axle.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The way i think of it is...

If i were to have bought brand new tires, and had my car taken to Audi for service and they put a nail in my tire, should i settle with a plug in a brand new tire? It shouldn't really matter if the tire is worn or brand new. I think I'm going to fight it today. I'll keep you all posted on how it works out.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

at a minimum, you need it patched.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well if the tire was brand new I'd expect them to replace it by a new one for sure...

However if the tire was used I would only expect a percentage of its value. This would be done by measuring the tread depth. If the tire showed a 50% wear rate then I would not expect more then 50% for it. That's the way tire warranties work.

Good luck with your dealer.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default WAAAAAAAAA, I got a nail in my tire WAAAAAAAAAA

It's a freaking nail in a used tire.
You could have even had it when you brought the car in.
Did you inspect every tire before you dropped it off ?
Sorry but I don't see how the dealership screwed you over ?
Good luck with your dealership if you **** everybody off over a nail.
I'm sure they will remember you if something major comes up and you need a real favor.
Pick your battles friend.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

yes i actually know for a fact i did not have a nail in my tire when i brought it to them.

Quick Reply: Dealership fcuekd me