S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Best All-Season Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best All-Season Tires?

I am looking to put all-weather tires on my Audi. I live in Western NY so I can encounter a fair amount of snow. I have been switching between dedicated winter tires and stock tires based on the weather. It is a bit hectic for me to keep doing this, so I wanted your suggestions on a solid set that I can use year long.

I used my Audi throughout the winter months (late Oct/Nov-Apr) and more sparingly in the summer. The tires I'm looking for should be good in snow but not compromise too much peformance--as it is quite often dry in the winter months but you just can't predict the snow. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:49 PM

Goodyear F1 Allseaons.....best tire I have ever owned.

Great traction in ALL conditions!
Old 05-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Goodyear f1 allseasons=WORST tire ive ever owned...

I got around 5k miles out of em. They sucked in the snow! While turning very slow,the car would step out/slide (less than 20 mph),and they lost their shape very quickly,and developed a flat spot on 2 of the set in the center. I also have a set of michelins a/s series on my stockers for snow,and they are quite good.At the top of the price range though.Also,the goodyear f1/as series i found to be a very hard tire with very poor grip of the road even in hot weather. One good thing though is that the side walls i found to be very stiff,which led to good dry road handling w/o chirping of the tires. I read tire rack reviews just for fun,but rely on my own experience to test a set out. Good luck, BC.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:20 AM

Do you guys think there is an advantage into buying high performance winter tires over all-seasons? I've been reading some reviews that suggest this may be a good option. My Audi is primarily my winter car, so excellent grip in snow and then decent handling on dry? Or are winter tires really bad on dry? I keep reading that all-season aren't really that good in snow so that has me a bit concerned.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazing difference on our older Audis (20-valvers) and the new-to-us S8 between All-Season and dedicated snows. We'd been running Hakkas on the older Quattros and bought an S8 with brand new all-season "high performance" tires that work OK on dry, warm pavement but aren't worth a damn on snow/ice. Got some of the new Nokian Hakka R, and the ice/snow performance is even better than the RSIs on the older cars.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Im Ok with dedicated snows as long as...

You take em off in time for when the roads get warmer as snows have such a softer compound versus A/S series tires. I would not hesitate in getting A/S series tires if you are in an area where the roads are well plowed with some regularity though. If you were 50 miles out of town on a rural road,i might just play it safe and do dedicated snows.Like the above poster said,"not worth a damn on snow and ice",is about right in my book too. Oh,forgot to say on those Goodyears of mine...Not only short lived,but also the noisiest tire ive ever owned....mostly due in part to them flatspotting in the middle. I ran them at 40 lbs all the way around,so no,i didnt leave them underinflated which goodyear said when i brought them in to measure the tread with 4/32'ds left after 5k miles!! NO GOOD!!
Old 05-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can recomend three. Two that I have personally used. First choice would be Conti Extreme Contacts. Got those because my initial choice Pirelli P zero neros M+S were not available when I needed them. I was happy with the Contis. I also put on a set of Kuhmo Ecsta ASX tires which were cheaper but did not seem to go quite as well as the Contis in the snow. Ran them all year long. IMHO, all 3 are good STREET tires.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have Toyo Proxes 4 and have been pleased with them. Only last around 20k to 25k though. I'm on my second set.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If I had to pick an all season tire for an S4...then I would for sure go with the Pirelli P-Zero Neros
Old 05-30-2009, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would suggest Toyo Proxes4. I had a set on my Mitsubishi eclipse gsx and another set on my Galant vr4. Never had any problems in the winter and I go snowboarding upstate and Vermont all very often. I've also heard good things about Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S

Quick Reply: Best All-Season Tires?