RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

Yet Another Nav Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 07:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another Nav Question

Been following the extended saga of the NAV+ and now the RNS-E units for us US RS6 owners. While I've chosen to pass on the NAV+ unit and wait for the RNS-E, I recall reading something recently (last month or so) maybe here or on RS6.com about the '05 Allroad RNS-E working in the RS6. As I understood it, it fits (double DIN) and fully-integrates with the CAN system in the RS6. I've also been following the discussions on nav-plus.com and the yahoo Audi Nav group. Admittedly, going the Audi factory part way is the most expensive option (if it's truly available), but the reality is that I'm not a techie, don't want to mess with the electrical systems and would just prefer a turnkey solution from a dealer. I've asked my local dealer to look into it, but just throwing this out to the forum to see if we have a 100% guaranteed solution, yet. Thanks for everybody's thoughts and knowledge on this. CW
Old 03-07-2005, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The US spec Allroad RNS-E Nav + lists for about $3200.

Yes, the US version is available. I checked on this from the local dealer last week. Installing it would be fairly simple, especially if you bought one of the wiring adapters from kufatec.de. You will not find a "plug and play" solution from the dealer, as the wiring is different between the Symphony II and the DVD Nav +, hence the reason to get the adapter from kufatec.

Going full list, you would have it in for ~$3700 with the adapter, antenna and DVD. If you buy one from a dealer like Clair, you would no doubt drop a few hundred off of that price.

I would definitely stay away from the Euro systems until the nav part is working. I have one that I am playing with, and I am not terribly confident that it will ever be 100% US compatible.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

too funny...i bet 10 of your 14 posts are regarding the Nav+/RNS-E. Ha!
Old 03-07-2005, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Steve, does the existing antenna on the roof work?

I too am interested in something, but I don't know how long we'd have to wait for the RNS system. Am I understanding that US version in the Allroad is RNS? Cost aside, it does everything the Euro version does?

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would the Euro version be so much cheaper?
Old 03-07-2005, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Assuming that you have the GPS antenna, you would just need an adapter cable.

Yes, the new Allroad system is the DVD based RNS-E, with MP3 capability, etc. AFAIK, it does everything that the Euro RNS-E Nav+ does.

As for the difference in price, the Euro stuff is pretty much all used equipment, and the older CD based Nav + DX stuff is now six+ year old technology and equipment.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My recurring theme, I guess! Just call me a broken record.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Fortunately for me, I do! Finally, some good news! Thank you, Steve.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry for my ignorance, but the adapter is for connection at the backside of the head unit?

Also, how do you know what part to order for the adapter from that german website? It seems to be mostly in German! Argh!
Old 03-07-2005, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, it helps to read German.

Yes, you need the adapter for the rear of the radio. The RNS-E system has a different connector configuration than the Symphony II that you have now. (It is actually just like the connectors used on the Golf 4.)

If/when you order, you need to note the vehicle type (4B RS6), the details of the current system (Bose, amplified speakers, CD changer, existing small Nav, etc.), as well as what current radio you have (Symphony II). They claim to do custom harnesses as well. I ordered the connectors and made my own test harness.

I haven't ordered from them, so I cannot comment on quality of product or their service. A few people on the Nav + list have, so it might be good to ask there for reviews of Kufatec.<ul><li><a href="http://shop.kufatec.de/product_info.php/products_id/166/language/en">RNS-E adapter</a></li></ul>
Old 03-07-2005, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, the antenna is actually the easy part.

It saves you a few bucks, but you have about the same amount of work running the new cable as you would installing a new antenna.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Nav Question