RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Soon to be RS4 owner (probably)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coupon
Thanks guys, happy to be part of the family. I know i'm a little late to the playing field and there are hundreds of pages to read here. Any quick links to tricks/hacks/mods? I'm not quite (read:not at all) ready to spend what a cheap, brand new car costs on a supercharger, but what else have you guys done to fulfill the need to change things?
I find the car has a smooth power delivery and plenty off to start. But no means is there any cheap supercharger options available (from what I've read/seen), I would honestly start off with the carbon clean, do the scheduled maintenance and I think you'll be good to go. Until then, save up for those mods you wish to pursue. Enjoy the car! I picked up my car last Christmas and I enjoy starting it up for the drive every single time, it simply does not disappoint.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The guys at the Audi shop here thought I'd be good until about 80,000 miles before I needed a carbon clean. And with the cost of it, I'd rather put the money into winter wheels and tires. I bought it with 44K miles on it with the 45K service already done. Another interesting thing they told me: the RS4s in the european market don't have the carbon problem. Is this true?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow now that Euro carbon thing is a can of worms... Euro cars have carbon too, but reportedly to a lesser extent. The official Audi response is that U.S. fuel sux big time, but I think it has more to do with USEPA nixing the lean burn feature of FSI. I'm currently attempting to do a similar thing over here in the states by running my car every few weeks in 4th gear at 80mph for 20 minutes or so. Next tear down will tell if it's doing any good...It really is a rather cheap experiment so what the hay we'll see soon enough.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Wow now that Euro carbon thing is a can of worms... Euro cars have carbon too, but reportedly to a lesser extent. The official Audi response is that U.S. fuel sux big time, but I think it has more to do with USEPA nixing the lean burn feature of FSI. I'm currently attempting to do a similar thing over here in the states by running my car every few weeks in 4th gear at 80mph for 20 minutes or so. Next tear down will tell if it's doing any good...It really is a rather cheap experiment so what the hay we'll see soon enough.
Actually looking forward to what you find Elevens. I only say this because I was brought up on normally aspirated muscle cars that used leaded fuel (read: 68 AMX and a 69 vette). My grandmother used to take the Vette out for a drive around in 3rd gear (and hold 75mph on the Maine Turnpike to "get the carbon out" before emissions testing in the 70's...anecdotal, I know, but I'm curious if there was ever any legitimacy to keeping the valves/top end cleaner by "burning it off"....hmmm. Now understand, I have no idea if this is even possible, but still...you got my curiosity up.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Banned

that GMG sounds awesome on videos online (never heard it in person)...and apparently sounds just as good in person.

Make us a video if you get bored. Launch and take off away from the camera, do a couple of flybys (and stay 100% on it as you go by the camera) coming and going. Always good to get some exhaust sound videos out there.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sandros1
Actually looking forward to what you find Elevens. ....
Don't hold your breath! The method to my madness is to get the valves sufficiently hot to burn off newly-formed carbon. I don't expect it to help with old, layered, caked-on carbon, but maybe the new stuff would be thin, soft, and volatile enough to burn off. Running at 75 in 5th gear for 20-30 minutes typically raises oil temp about 20-30 degrees - up to about 225 - which I never see with this car in this climate. Next tear down won't be until spring of 2014 though... if I still own the car.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

What are you gonna do with your RS4 elevens?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No plans yet, but the temptation is great. S6 would be pretty sweet but who knows.

Last edited by ELEVENS; 08-07-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

S6 is super fast! More space for the fam as well...Ok I guess you can leave us LOL
Old 08-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
that GMG sounds awesome on videos online (never heard it in person)...and apparently sounds just as good in person.

Make us a video if you get bored. Launch and take off away from the camera, do a couple of flybys (and stay 100% on it as you go by the camera) coming and going. Always good to get some exhaust sound videos out there.
I'll see what I can do. All I have for a camera now is a handycam type thing.
It does sound good, and has a nice little 'gurgle' while engine braking. Only downside so far is the rednecks here with their big trucks hear it and think they need to 1up me. :\

Quick Reply: Soon to be RS4 owner (probably)