RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Problem with my Sirius sat radio... keeps fading in and out. Anyone else having this problem ?

Old 11-21-2006, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Problem with my Sirius sat radio... keeps fading in and out. Anyone else having this problem ?

I know, I know, I shouldn't even be listening to it, but I wanted to check it out...

The fading in and out is happening when I'm out on the open road with no overhead obstructions. The category column on the display shows "Linking" instead of the music type and then goes away and redisplays the category. It's really irritating and at this point I'm really glad I decided to do the 3 month demo and not pay for a year up front.

Has anyone else experienced this problem ? I'm guessing it's a bad connection or failing satellite receiver...
Old 11-21-2006, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happens to me all the time with trees, but not open sky... frankly I don't care, as the sound sucks!

sound quality sucks on sirius! I can't stand it!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hardly any trees around here really - Denver is basically a desert...

Haven't been able to listen long enough to figure out how the sound quality is...
Old 11-21-2006, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have it, love it, zero problems

I wouldn't own a car without it.

No signal drop out and if you're having a signal dropout, there's a problem, but don't blame Sirius.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2nd
Old 11-21-2006, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You DO know that you need to adjust....

...the sound (Bass, Treble) settings in EVERY mode of the unit? ANother words, when you switch to Sirius, you need to go adjust Bass and Treble. Same goes for CD mode. FM mode. etc.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default great point. I dont know how many RS4 owners acutally know this. I didnt until i heard a big

sound difference between my sources and began to troubleshoot it.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Typical - XM had lots less dropouts in all the technical reivews I read
Old 11-23-2006, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mine does this so much that I don't even bother turning it on. It's very aggrevating because...

I want to listen and have even taken it to the dealer and they said "They all do that." WTH, its shouldn't do that. I mean mine goes out for 10 minutes at a time without any reception at all. It will say "LINKING" on the screen without any sound at all.

I've called AOA and told them about this and they said, "They stand behind their dealers diagnoses."

My car didn't come with Sirius but it did come with XM. I replaced the XM with Sirius immediately after putting the RNS-E in the car. Now I have had an XM in the car with all the same setup (as a test) and XM did not "once" drop an signal or anything. It worked flawlessly without any hiccup. So that just confirms that the antenna and all wires are properly connected. I've told AOA what all I've done to diagnose the problem and even told them that there is something possibly wrong with my actual tuner box to see if the dealer would replace it and they told me the dealer would need to keep the car for several days to diagnose it. Which I thought was kind bullsh!t because I don't have a problem with my engine or anything, I mean it's a freaking radio tuner that can easily be replaced.

I would really like to try a newer Sirius tuner in my car to find out what's wrong.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No trees or hills here in Florida either, so that can't be the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with my Sirius sat radio... keeps fading in and out. Anyone else having this problem ?