RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Ok, pretty close to buying the Milltek, but I'm thinking of trying something a little different...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, pretty close to buying the Milltek, but I'm thinking of trying something a little different...

On my M3, I bought the full Magnaflow system (headers back), took off the cats and then removed the Magnaflow mufflers and replaced them with racing mufflers from a company called CoastFab (coastfab.com). It sounded really bad a$$ and I wonder how it would sound with this V8 behind it? Problem is I don't think Magnaflow makes midpipes for the RS4, so I guess I would have to do the Milltek and then use the catback from Magnaflow?

Anyone else remove their cats yet?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Answers...

The MagnaFlow system is designed to work with the stock front half of the system.

Having not seen the Milltek DP's, I can't tell you for sure if they'll mate up without some expensive fabricating, but keep this mind:

Inside of EVERYONE's system, the muffler internals are designed to work with a certain size piping. To utilize components from another system MIGHT mean that the hp levels will not be as good as with someone else's DP's. The fact that you're considering ditching the MF mufflers is probably not a good thing.

The MF mufflers' internals are small so as to increase low end torque. Opening the mufflers up larger will increase noise, drone and coule possibly reduce power.

I'm shocked that guys who are spending $70K on these cars are Honda-fying them by slapping on any old muffler in pursuit of super loud volume levels with no conscious regard for hp.

In short, if you have ANY inclination of trying to mate a MF to Milltek DP's, you should just buy the complete Milltek system from the get-go.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:14 AM

Default So adding two race mufflers is "Honda-fying" my car? I'm not looking to cut

corners or save money here, I am looking for the best sound AND performance. Frankly, it would cost me MORE to do this than to just buy the full Milltek system. I was just asking for thoughts, no need to interject your latent frustrations into the post. I'm not aware of anyone "Honda-fying" the RS4's, though, either.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:21 AM

Default depends on

your definition of "best sound". are you going for loudest or best tuned exhaust sound? race mufflers tells me the former.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I similarly mated up one companies downpipes to another companies catback...

and had no problem at all. There are plenty of adapters available which is what I used. I got exactly what I wanted with extremely high flow downpipes and a straight through catback with no resonators and straight through mufflers. I ended up with over 310tq to the wheels which is pretty damn good needless to say. Just get a baseline dyno and then go experiment. It can be fun and the results can be impressive.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:41 AM

I don't know that any RS4 owners want their cars to sound like juiced-up Civics do they?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:48 AM

I may try it. If it doesn't sound right, I can always just order the Milltek catback--no big deal.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:49 AM

Default i didn't say juiced up Civics

but i have heard race mufflers on V8's and V10's. it's a track sound, not a street sound, and very loud. go for it! if you don't mind being flipped off by your neighbors or setting off a whole bank of car alarms in parking garages.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Fair. Still not sure a "track" sound necessarily Honda-fy's the RS4. Was sensitive to that with my

M3 but everyone (and by "everyone" I mean car enthusiasts) said it sounded great.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you want sound, great...rice it up.....but, if you want PERFORMANCE...

Not trying to offend you, but take it from someone who has a little experience here;

Swapping mufflers based solely on sound preference many times yields WORSE performance.

If you're going for both sound AND PERFORMANCE, you'll need to dyno several configurations.

Just keep in mind that Milltek and MF BOTH go to great lengths to tune for both sound AND performance.

However, if you really, really HAVE TO HAVE something super loud and a 69 Camaro big block is not your cup of tea, have at it.

You may get it loud...but I seriously doubt you'll get better performance.

I'm not sure why ANYONE thinks they can shop a muffler out of a catalog and yield better results than tuners who have decades of experience and dyno results of their full exhaust systems.

But again, to each his own.

Quick Reply: Ok, pretty close to buying the Milltek, but I'm thinking of trying something a little different...