RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Need help with random/multiple cylinder misfire detected............

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with random/multiple cylinder misfire detected............

So I turned 10K on my new 08 today and what did she have in store for me but my first code. Engine light came on and after pulling the codes, I am looking at a misfire on every cylinder except for #8. WTF? This is my second RS4 and she has been a dream for the first ten K. I guess the honeymoon is over. I know to run nothing but Shell 93 and I have. She started to run a little rough at startup a few weeks ago but only until the car would idle down.

I also have a clunk coming from the right front when going over a bump so I have an appointment on Monday to have all of this checked out. I am hoping that the clunk is a bad bushing and not an issue with DRC.

So what do you guys think about both issues; any TSB's?

To top it off my dealer dropped AUDI so I will have to drive over an hour and a half to the next closest dealer after the end of the month.
FuKing pile of BS if you ask me ?
Thanks for any help
MM
Old 01-20-2009, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Seems like FSI vehicles across all makes have been having issues with random/mult misfires due to...

...carbon build up on the valves. The dealer should be able to take care of that fairly easily.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Long distance dealer can be a great hassle...

My dealer is 2 hours away and it can be a real pain. Take it to shop, they find something wrong that you were not aware, they have to order parts (reasonable as they can't keep every part on stand by). Then you have a decision to either take the car home for a follow trip, or use a loaner. Either way, another round trip is in store.

I have learned to try to be pro-active, order parts in advance of potential issues, put in parts that may not have yet gone bad for preventive maintenance, etc.

I've learned to live with it and enjoy the drive time to wander around in the empty space between my ears.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:52 PM

Default Be nice to see some data backing that idea up...other Audi DI, BMW, GM, etc

I just haven't seen it. And AUDI DI has been in mass production in states since early 05.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default A proper fix depends heavily on the dealer.

If you've ever had a bad coil, that particular cylinder should be in effect "dead" and the engine runs poorly all the time. So when you have random, multiple misfires is several cylinders but the car runs rough only during startup, lets hope the dealer just doesn't swaps out (7) coils and send you on your way. So what's causing the misfire? A good dealer will find it and fix it - but its not coils, spark plugs, bad fuel, or "not driving it hard enough".
Old 01-20-2009, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Pretty common on x35 BMWs, 2.0TFSI VWs and Audis, and I've heard about it on some VQ Nissans

Manufacturers don't publish this kind of data, so I don't think you're ever going to see the official data you're looking for.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:13 PM

Default If it's a done deal by design, there should be a lot of complaints and info out there

what we're seeing here is some RS4's racking up serious carbon buildup in under 10k miles.

Think of the mileage on the A3's, A4's and A6's sold here with DI since 05. Why aren't those boards(post DI) loaded with carbon buildup complaints and ragging DI?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 PM

You don't know his prior history with this, do you?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I haven't heard of any adjustments or part replacements/upgrades to remedy the problem

A simple SeaFoam or equivalent treatment seems to fix it for everybody though. Of course, I haven't heard whether or not the issue comes back 10k mi later for those people.

There are a lot of carbon buildup complaints with A3s, but they often seem to get drowned out by the complaints of massive oil consumption, or fuel pump failures, or [...].

What exactly is it that you are arguing with here?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:39 PM

Default Re: I haven't heard of any adjustments or part replacements/upgrades to remedy the problem

Maybe you're right about carbon complaints receiving lower priority with A3's, etc. But considering how many A3's, A4's and A6's they sell with DI, if it's an issue, you'd think...

Then there's all the RS4's that don't have this problem to think about. That's why I couldn't buy into it being an oil blend thing, no way.

The jury's still out on this, IMO.

Quick Reply: Need help with random/multiple cylinder misfire detected............