Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ROFL @ vid. What a freak!
Old 07-25-2007, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree with you and Ben 100% on the RS4 being a different driving experience...

and you are right Dave on me being a narrow minded engineer and not thinking outside the box at the moment. :-)

I can't get past the massive *technical* differences between the cars. Maybe if you drive the RS4 in reverse!

In any case, I'm trying to understand Ben here. I think he means the RS4 is more raw, visceral, and involving. I will certainly agree with that. The sounds and sensations involving an 8250 rpm rev limit, throaty exhaust note, and smooth gearbox are feelings any sports car maker tries to emulate, Porsche included.

I may know a thing or two on the topics, but I'm certainly not always right...

And when it comes to opinions, everyone is right I guess.

Sorry for coming off as a pr!ck Ben.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:22 AM

Default same here

I aplogize as well for being prickish, despite my jabs I do respect your deep knowledge. As dave eluded its hard to argue technical merits with mechanical engineers, why do you think I never argue with Scott? He saves me my allowing to challenge him offline where nobody can see the predictable results.

I understand the engineering mind because I am a software engineer, totally different field of course. But I know how its easy to sometimes miss what a user, or in this case the driver, will very quickly pick up on. Its an occupational habit.

I know the RS4 is not the end all, especially in performance and you nailed it, I am just trying to make sure that its more successful and unique attributes are not totally forgotten about in performance comparisons.

You could argue that I was reacting to your original comment too literally as well.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: same here

LOL, i argue with Scott all the time, but i respect his knowledge and patience(in a discussion) very much. don't take it offline, Ben, it's no fun that way : )
Old 07-25-2007, 09:44 AM

Default the truth is

I don't argue with Scott. I just give sopinion and he then corrects it. Then I say nod my head and go, of course, why didn't I think of that.

Hardly an argument.lol.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Since you know about the RS4 clutch...

Size matters - what size (diameter) is it?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:30 AM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah, no ****. I think he's on coke. lol
Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default agree 100% .. they make the clutch so it gives before other expensive parts

just logic .. slip a clutch or break a trans or a shaft ?
Old 07-25-2007, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default I agree. The RS4 has a lot more in common with an S4 than even a base 911. Not even close.

The RS4 is a great car and all and in many ways better than a 911 but in no way does it behave or even remotely handle, steer, feel, drive, perform, like an engineered-to-death ***-engine p-car.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Former Vendor

Default Every piece of the RS4 that has anything to do with shifting is the same as an S4 B7

Same shift assembly, same shift linkage, same 0A3 gearbox with the same internals minus a few different gears.

So the RS4 has zero reason to shift better than an S4 B7. Some gearboxes are better than others, maybe that is what you are experiencing.

Same pressure plate too, same clutch master, only different part is hose and slave cylinder. Slave could account for different clutch pedal feel. Though I would say the S4 and RS4 clutch pedals feel identical.

Quick Reply: I wonder what a spreadsheet comparision of the S4 with the MTM SC would reveal