RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Help me pick my suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me pick my suspension

Okay.....it has happened. My right front shock is "sweating". I will shortly replace my suspension after I recover from the wallet hit of my HRE's and Euro wheel. So....what to buy?

Cost isn't as much of a factor for me. VALUE is. I will gladly pay more for the Stasis MS if I am truly going go gain by having it. On the other hand, if for my needs, there is nothing to be gained, I would opt for Stasis SL or KW V3.

I do not track this car ever. The car is not my daily driver either. I use the car about 1/3 of the time. I do do a lot of driving on country back roads when I let her rip.

Here are a few questions I have:

1. Is the only difference between Stasis MS and SL in the adjustability? Is the SL with an aggressive street spring going to be the same as the MS adjusted to those settings with those spring rates?

2. Can you acheive a better ride comfort with the MS for a given level of handling. By that I mean that for equal handling settings for the SL and MS, can you tune the MS to provide more comfort?

3. Is there a difference in height adjustibility between MS and SL. I want to go 26" all around. Anyone know the HIGHEST each of these can go in terms of fender height.

4. Anyone know how KW V3 compares to Stasis SL?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get the SL's and call it a day.

Vijay I have my SL's set at 26.5 all 4 corners and the ride quality is close to stock except for expansion joints in the road. The feel back from the road is great and there is no float feel. The SL and MS are the same except for the adjustable dampers in the FRONT only. You want value go with the SL's if you are not tracking the car. As far as the KW's there ride quality is a little more harsh than STaSIS and I believe the KW's you have to drill holes by the top of the strut tower also the springs on the KW are progessive rate. Both STaSIS SL and MS have Linear rate springs, which is what you want.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

the DRC issues remove this as a viable option, but I'd like the euro oem sport suspension
Old 05-09-2009, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have MS. They are adjustable front and rear. I did not think the SLs are adjustable rear. My understanding is the SLs are similar to a mid-level to aggressive setting on the MS. I run my MS in near to the softest setting on the road. It is still stiffer than stock, because the springs are much much stiffer. I have the softest springs. I think the ride is superb.

I truly believe that - despite the name - the motorsport kit is the one to get if you are most concerned about ride quality on the street. I think the SLs will be more than adequate on the track, and the adjustability of the MS kit will probably be lost on most of us at that level. On the street, the MS is significantly less harsh. Driving back from the track with the suspension set firm, it was an obvious difference.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The shocks are quite different on the SL and MS kits. The MS shocks can react much faster to all sorts of road surfaces and hence can give you a better ride no matter the use.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by STALKIN RS4
The shocks are quite different on the SL and MS kits. The MS shocks can react much faster to all sorts of road surfaces and hence can give you a better ride no matter the use.
Thanks. This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for!!!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vijay
Thanks. This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for!!!
Suspensions may look similar, but the internals are what really matter. I would contact Stasis and ask them how the internals are diff from the SL shocks and the MS shocks. Im personally not a huge fan of the canisters(are they nitrogen containers???), and many of the top brands like Moton are actually producing new kits that do away with them. But that being said, its all about how fast and effecient a shock is, and thats what will give you great handling and great ride over all surfaces. The faster and more effecient a shock is, the better is it, and the more $$$ it is.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default U want value. Quoted from STaSIS web-site

Reduced Cost

The SL damper provides many of the performance features, and ride quality characteristics found in our Motorsports suspension at a terrific price.

There is your value.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RS4 RAIDER
Reduced Cost

The SL damper provides many of the performance features, and ride quality characteristics found in our Motorsports suspension at a terrific price.

There is your value.
Agreed. Still, if the MS will give me a better ride for equal handling, I will go with MS. I've heard people say that MS is overkill unless you want to track the car and this is what I was referring to in terms of the value part. I'm not going to spend extra money just to get the MS if it really doesn't offer me anything more for street driving. If it does offer more in terms of a better ride, then it is money well spent. As with my wheels, I will do my homework, mull things over for a while, then make my choice.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks Vijay for pursuing this...

I am sitting on the new "B" rev DRC and all is good to date, but I believe I will spring for the MS eventually, glad you are asking these questions. I do have one bit of feedback about this topic: I will go with the MS for one primary reason, I don't want to spend all the money on SL's and then later wish I had gotten MS. The difference in price is not enough to deter me, even though I will only track the car once or twice a year. I would jut hate to find out that I should have spent that extra $1k after riding in someones MS setup and thinking "wow this is really substantially better track and street". Not sure if that is reality, but I hate what if'ing myself to death. I think there is enough of a consensus that the MS are probably better on the street and the adjustability is pretty cool, so I would just do it if I were on the fence and money wasn't the driver here.

Quick Reply: Help me pick my suspension