RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Has anyone every contacted Audi directly about dirty valve issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once again, it is the PCV valve waste that is the problem, why not just route it to a vented catch can?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you mean vent the valve covers to atmosphere and block the fresh air inlet into the crankcase (which is downstream of the mass air sensor BTW)? That would be a stinky, oily mess IMHO. I think an effective catch can inbetween the valve cover vents and the current cyclonic separator would be best. The only problem with that is finding adequate room. I am sort of working on such a system. That project just took a serious setback as the recent BG experiment stole most of my RS4 play money.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Edit: I know what you mean now. So it may not be an oily mess venting from the catch can, but it would still be smelly - and by that I mean you would smell it while you're inside the car.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What I envisioned was running the line that feeds to the intake manifold into a can (12 ounces or so) that is vented on the top, instead of in to the manifold. The air comes out, the oily mess condenses in the can, and you have to clean the can periodically. Not sure how well it would work, but most race motors (albeit with dry sump) use a vented catch can. We have a Cobra replica, and it doesn't even have a PCV system, or cats, and I don't notice any bad smells, even with the hard top on. It is EFI. Remember that motors are soooo much cleaner now than when the stupid PCV system was designed.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've created a monster. First, JMSIV doesn't want to beleive me in that there is an issue. Now he's all Mr. Beakman's World on us.

Excellent.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ragdoll
I've created a monster. First, JMSIV doesn't want to beleive me in that there is an issue. Now he's all Mr. Beakman's World on us.

Excellent.
Like I said, I wish you had never brought it up. I slept better when I had no idea what was going on. If I had just let the CEL come on, I probably could have made Audi clean the valves for free.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Its my understanding (and personal experience) that unless the buildup is discovered during the normal diagnostic process, the Audi Tech line does not instruct the dealer to clean it off. I've been in 4 times for misfires but the dealer cleaned the valves only once. The standard routine involves checking the coils and plugs and then injectors. When a few injectors failed testing on that particular visit, they removed the manifold to replace them and the buildup was discovered. Up to that point neither the dealer nor I was expecting carbon buildup on an engine with 8k miles. We both know better now.

I will be going in next week for a borescope of the combustion chambers. I believe its a fancy unit that can provide digital images. That will be interesting...
Old 09-08-2009, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The reason you don't want to vent the catch can is that you need the manifold vacuum to help pull the crud out of the crankcase. If you don't have a good vacuum source then you could have issues with sludge buildup.

For now, just routing an enclosed catch can in-line with the stock cyclonic filter would probably be the best option.

Originally Posted by JMSIV
What I envisioned was running the line that feeds to the intake manifold into a can (12 ounces or so) that is vented on the top, instead of in to the manifold. The air comes out, the oily mess condenses in the can, and you have to clean the can periodically. Not sure how well it would work, but most race motors (albeit with dry sump) use a vented catch can. We have a Cobra replica, and it doesn't even have a PCV system, or cats, and I don't notice any bad smells, even with the hard top on. It is EFI. Remember that motors are soooo much cleaner now than when the stupid PCV system was designed.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

there is no problem...
there is no power loss, at least anymore than the variance in atm conditions can cause...

as previously shown, the deposits do not present the limiting factor in the air flow...it's the valve seat opening, and even if the annulus of the valave is decreased by 4mm of deposits, it's STILL larger than the seat opening...therefore can not cause power loss...

there is real shyte going on to 'worry' about, and this isn't some of it

the only way to get Audi's attention is with a lawyer...re: the RS6 DRC issue...
if you feel it's a problem, sue, otherwise, enjoy the car...
if Audi calls anyone (I highly doubt it) it will be a call from a PR person blowing smoke up yer *** and telling you it's sunshine...

especially when they determine you don't even own a car impacted by the problems you query...