RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

A few options for an upcomming car (RS4 being one) wanted to get some thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not true. I missed on a CPO M5, and there are several out there.

The M5 is more bullet train than the RS4. Even though I did an extended test drive of a CPO, and it was a MT car, it was less involving than the RS4. Even with all the problems I had with my RS4, it was a better driver's car. The M5 is a nice car, don't get me wrong, but not as communicative. Not a great exhaust note (UPS truck on steriods) and the prior generation i-Drive is so so (at best). Even so, a very nice car. Handles well. Rocket sled acceleration.

I picked up a new 2009 e90 M3 with the M-DCT and I am very happy (so far). I would have preferred a traditional 3 pedal car, but I had to take what was on the lot as I negotiated a buyback of the RS4 with Audi. The M-DCT is actually very good.

The new i-Drive actually doesn't suck. I like how the M3 drives. Similar visceral "connected" feel as I got from my RS4. The RS4 exhaust note is a winner hands down. I miss that sound. The RS4 is a bit more torquey than the M3, but the M3 is still an impressive car.

I acknowledge the polarizing opinions of the Bangle styling. I am a fan, with a few exceptions. I had a 2003 Z4 and loved the car and the styling. The 7 series was a miss and the 6 series looks like someone backed it into a guardrail, but I like the look of the M5 and my new M3.

BMW will CPO M5s. I have seen several. I cannot speak to your opinion of the styling, but the engineering is superb and CPO helps it make sense.

I wish you good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd. I don't know what the official BMW party line is, but there are a few

definitely being advertised as CPOs.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default They are available...

A couple CPO (lease returns I believe) M5's are available here in SoCal. Pretty cool engine but styling is meh IMO and dealer I've talked to about them mentioned that it eats through oil like crazy. Customer was even there who was in for an oil change and mentioned on drives to Vegas he uses up 1 quart of oil in each direction....yeesh that can get annoying.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default My 2 cent

You have to drive each car to be sure, but the best deal would probably be the RS4 for what you get. I paid full MSRP of $73k for mine, and you can pick one up these days for under $50k! Yikes, bad depreciation for me, but good deal for you. I would sell you mine, but I could not stand to leave so much $$ on the table.

C63. Very nice looking. I have been up against one in my RS4 and I can say, in that case, it was faster in a straight line, but NOT when the road begins to snake, NOT at all. At any rate, if I bought an AMG car today, that would be the one.

E63. I test drove one and considered it when I got my RS4. Not impressed. Did not feel fast and felt too loose and soft. I had an AMG CLK55 at the time and I preferred it over the E63 by far. I like the looks of the C63 better.

Never considered the others.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default There is no car in existence that can truly compete with the RS4....

1. Premium level luxury
2. All wheel drive
3. 420 hp
4. 4-doors
5. Manual transmission

There is no other stock production car on earth that offers this combination of features.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default given your vehicle history, you're most likely spoiled by AWD, as I am.

the look of the C63 has grown on me, and I'd like to test drive one. my wife's dad has a E63, which I've driven, and I think the lack of grip would get really annoying after a while (not to mention...needing new rear tires every 10k miles). I have a little over a year left on my RS4 lease, and at this point, I don't think I'd give it up for anything currently available in this price range.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I came to the same conclusion:

My other candidates were the C63, and the Cadillac CTS-V (supercharged 550hp version). Ultimately, since it rains a lot in Seattle, I opted for AWD, and the lack of a manual transmission ruled out the C63 for me.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you think the lack of tire is bad on the E63 wait till you drive the C63...alot worse.

Had it out on the track and...yeesh.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Agree with Vijay...No other car that can compete..

However, and these are just my opinions...

The S5-just does not do it for me. great looking car, great interior...heavy, useless back seats..If I wanted a two door I'd be back in my 911..sounds mean, but does not deliver much on it...slower than a 335 and costs more...

Now, the M3...if you do not need AWD for the snow,it is a phenom car. I've driven it about 8 times now,and like it more each time i drive it. It drives bettert han the RS4,sounds as mean, its interior is really not that far off from the RS4 if at all. 99.9% of the people will never push their car far enough on dry or even wet roads(given todays tires and ESP) to need the AWD other than in snow. I've tracked the new M3 twice..once on the wet, and still, I'd never push it over the edge. When I did, I am sure that I'd push the RS4 over the edge as well. If you not accelerating, the AWD isn't doing much for you. It is why a RWD BMW with studless winters can compete with an AWD with winter performance tires very well...Tires have come a long way. If it were me,and I lived in the south, it would be the M3..and I love my RS4.

The c63 is an animal. As big as you are, i urge you to drive it. It has *****, *****, and then more *****, and pulls like no tomorrow. From a roll, the RS4 seems slow.I hate to say it, but it really does..Again,consider the environment, but really a fun car on the road. If you do not track your car, this car is a lot of fun....pull on an on ramp and punch it..you'll leave the RS4 far behind, as well as the R8....

M5-they are getting VERY cheap...just check on cars.com, and figure another 5grand off that price..I was just offered one brand new at 13grand off sticker...I love this car too...just less fun than either the RS4, or M3. Pain in the *** to dial everything in.

335xi= AWD, cheap...dump 6 grand into it and it puts 400 ponies t the wheel, has AWD, has 4 doors..that 6 grand gets you suspension chip exhaust....another 2grand for some sweet wheels and new tires and still cheaper than any of the above cars....

or just wait for the new S4 and mod it.....that would be my choice...
Old 02-03-2009, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have 4500 miles on mine...

and have not added a drop of oil to it yet. My RS4, while not as thirsty for oil as some here, needed a quart every 1500 - 2000 miles.

Quick Reply: A few options for an upcomming car (RS4 being one) wanted to get some thoughts.