RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

DRC issue - Audi refuses to achknowlege the problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRC issue - Audi refuses to achknowlege the problem

both front struts have greasy oil buildup on the shaft, the rears show dry oil stains on the back about 6-8 inches down the shock.

Audi says this is normal and fail to replace them stating there is nothing wrong.

i have clucking noise and steering is very sloppy.
i told Aof i won't be picking the car up from the dealer until they do something about it.

what are my legal options as i think it's the only way to go at this point.. i am not happy with the way the car feels and dealer claims they can't reproduce the problem.

thanks for any advice.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

disregard the typos.. pretty frustrated right now.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VerrÜckt
Sloppy steering is not a sign of DRC problems.

The shafts are supposed to have grease on them, it's a lubricated part.

If the dealer checked the pressure in the system and found it to specification, then the system isn't showing any problems.

Clarify what the dealer checked, but if it's to spec...what do you expect them to do?
Dude, he's referring to the outside casings "sweating". Are you an RS4 owner?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sloppy steering is not a sign of DRC problems.

The shafts are supposed to have grease on them, it's a lubricated part.

If the dealer checked the pressure in the system and found it to specification, then the system isn't showing any problems.

Clarify what the dealer checked, but if it's to spec...what do you expect them to do?
that is the key...if they checked the pressure and it meets spec, it's OK

minor leakage/weeping/seeping is inevitable with any hydraulic system subject to unit impulse loadings...

I would insist on the pressure test though, it's the only way to tell for sure...
Old 04-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by two2
both front struts have greasy oil buildup on the shaft, the rears show dry oil stains on the back about 6-8 inches down the shock.

Audi says this is normal and fail to replace them stating there is nothing wrong.

i told Aof i won't be picking the car up from the dealer until they do something about it.

what are my legal options as i think it's the only way to go at this point.. i am not happy with the way the car feels and dealer claims they can't reproduce the problem.

thanks for any advice.
I can understand your frustration. Photos attached of what mine looked like...

They were replaced. I don't know if you have seen the TSB but per that guidance, there are two levels of severity (1. Sweating 2. Pooling) 1. seems to be discetionary - my dealership was kind enough to push for the replacement.
Attached Thumbnails DRC issue - Audi refuses to achknowlege the problem-img00237.jpg   DRC issue - Audi refuses to achknowlege the problem-img00238.jpg   DRC issue - Audi refuses to achknowlege the problem-img00242.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 04-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It doesn't matter what I own, we've all seen the bulletin. There's no guarantees that any oil on the shock is even from the suspension.

That's why they check the system pressure. If there's a leak in the system enough for it to be making stuff oily, it's not going to meet the pressure spec.

If it doesn't meet the pressure spec, the dealer will take care of it.

It's simple.
Yep, pretty simple. No pressure test done on mine & per the photos & TSB guidance mine would not have qualified for the DRC replacement. hmmmm...
Old 04-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yours look a little more than "sweaty".

I'll give the dealer the benefit of the doubt and assume the original poster's shocks aren't in the same condition yours are.
Fair enough. Actually had to ask the dealership to look at it a couple of times w/ no material difference between the first time they visually inspected vs the second time. The shocks looked the same in the pictures the first time they inspected and said there was nothing that could be done. I came back several months later and they were willing to push AofA to replace. BTW, this is the second time the DRC has been replaced on my car.

Good luck to the OP.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by two2

thanks for any advice.
Bottom line is this.....it is a flawed engineering design. Period. If it fails, replace it with an aftermarket suspesnion. Spend the $2500 and be done with it. It is too much of a hassle otherwise.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not to jinx myself, or anyone else, but is there anyone who's had their DRC replaced with the updated "B" parts (and who's also had the dealership CORRECTLY re-pressurize the system and confirmed it's leak-free) go through another failure?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by greatwhiteshark
Not to jinx myself, or anyone else, but is there anyone who's had their DRC replaced with the updated "B" parts (and who's also had the dealership CORRECTLY re-pressurize the system and confirmed it's leak-free) go through another failure?
Not yet, keeping a prayer and a candle burning each night!

Roughly 4 months and 2K miles after a full revamp (4 updated part number shocks, 2 central accumulators, proper bleed and repressurization), no leaks as of yet...

Quick Reply: DRC issue - Audi refuses to achknowlege the problem