RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

B7 RS4 or B8 S4 ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VerrÜckt
The handling comments don't really apply. The B8 is a better platform with significantly better weight distribution. The quattro sport rear differential adds a dimension that the RS4 doesn't have.

In many ways, the B8 S4 is a more enjoyable car than the B7 RS4.
I haven't driven the B8 S4 just yet (hoping next month perhaps), so can't make statements based on real life experience, but I will tell you this - I have yet to see anything more enjoyable than the RS4 (exotics included), I doubt the B8 S4 will come even close. In fact the RS4 has been so gratifying, my much faster modded-up-the-wazoo M5 has been made expendable.

High strung NA V8 with 100-hp per liter vs. a blown mid-sized V6? Answer for me is clear no matter what substance I may be under... The engine I have in my 135i (which is similar to the S4 [granted TT vs SC]) while fun does not come close to the exilerating experience of the 4.2 NA FSI.

As far as weight distribution, yes, the B8 is marginally better, but no where near 50-50, still pretty nose heavy based on the stats I've read in the foreign press.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RS Maniac
I haven't driven the B8 S4 just yet (hoping next month perhaps), so can't make statements based on real life experience, but I will tell you this - I have yet to see anything more enjoyable than the RS4 (exotics included), I doubt the B8 S4 will come even close. In fact the RS4 has been so gratifying, my much faster modded-up-the-wazoo M5 has been made expendable.

High strung NA V8 with 100-hp per liter vs. a blown mid-sized V6? Answer for me is clear no matter what substance I may be under... The engine I have in my 135i (which is similar to the S4 [granted TT vs SC]) while fun does not come close to the exilerating experience of the 4.2 NA FSI.

As far as weight distribution, yes, the B8 is marginally better, but no where near 50-50, still pretty nose heavy based on the stats I've read in the foreign press.
The B8 S4 is 55/45 and handles with a much more neutral attitude than the RS4. The chassis is stiffer and the steering feels more precise.

The RS4 makes better noises and is a little faster in a straight line. I was commenting on the handling aspect.

Just as you said, you haven't driven the car so you're just speculating.

I've driven tuned RS4's that were faster than your M5, and I still think the B8 S4 has the better chassis.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:28 PM

The B8 S4 is 55/45 and handles with a much more neutral attitude than the RS4. The chassis is stiffer and the steering feels more precise.
If you've driven it and speak from experience, I won't challenge you (not at least until I get to try it myself ;-o) You had a chance to drive the B8 S4 yet?

BTW, what is the RS4's weight distribution - 58/42 from what I recall (slightly better than the S4 IIRC as the battery was moved).

I've driven tuned RS4's that were faster than your M5, and I still think the B8 S4 has the better chassis.
I've yet to see a B7 RS4 that puts more than 380whp (which would make it stronger than my E39 ///M), heck, even more than 345whp (umless it's MTM S/C'ed). I recon you mean B5 RS4s? If so, no stranger to gains of forced induction, with nothing more than a simple flash (i.e. not even any bolt-on mods) my little 135i will put more whp (needless to say tq) than the RS4... In fact, a friend of a friend has a tuned 135i (Active Autowerks IIRC) that outruns his mighty V-10 M5 till about 80mph, after that the V10 does stretch it's legs further.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you've driven it and speak from experience, I won't challenge you (not at least until I get to try it myself ;-o) You had a chance to drive the B8 S4 yet?

BTW, what is the RS4's weight distribution - 58/42 from what I recall (slightly better than the S4 IIRC as the battery was moved).

I've yet to see a B7 RS4 that puts more than 380whp (which would make it stronger than my E39 ///M), heck, even more than 345whp (umless it's MTM S/C'ed). I recon you mean B5 RS4s? If so, no stranger to gains of forced induction, with nothing more than a simple flash (i.e. not even any bolt-on mods) my little 135i will put more whp (needless to say tq) than the RS4... In fact, a friend of a friend has a tuned 135i (Active Autowerks IIRC) that outruns his mighty V-10 M5 till about 80mph, after that the V10 does stretch it's legs further.

I dunno, I kinda wrote this

https://www.audiworld.com/news/08/b8-s4-first-drive/

and this

https://www.audiworld.com/news/07/mt.../content.shtml

I believe you're right on the RS4 - F 58.3/R 41.7%

The biggest difference on the B8 is the torque vectoring rear diff. Here's a pic of me hanging it out.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:42 PM

He he, I take your word for it then ;-o) We should have some icons here, praiseworthy comes to mind :-)

Is the tq vectoring the same as in the 09 S5 (with the Audi Drive Select)? I've tested that, granted not at the levels in which you have put the B8 S4 .
Old 04-07-2009, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

He he, I take your word for it then ;-o) We should have some icons here, praiseworthy comes to mind :-)

Is the tq vectoring the same as in the 09 S5 (with the Audi Drive Select)? I've tested that, granted not at the levels in which you have put the B8 S4 .
The torque vectoring rear diff will factor into drive select, but wasn't available yet on the 09 you drove. It's not here yet, and I don't think it's been announced when it's coming. I'm pretty sure the B8 S4 will be the first Audi with that diff this coming fall available here.

Don't get me wrong, the B7 RS4 is awesome...but there are key improvements to the B8 line that even the RS4 can't compete with. Chassis composure and at the limit behaviour is part of it.

The 4.2 HDZ engine in the RS4 is more fun though, I'll give you that any day of the week.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:41 PM

Don't get me wrong, the B7 RS4 is awesome...but there are key improvements to the B8 line that even the RS4 can't compete with. Chassis composure and at the limit behaviour is part of it.

The 4.2 HDZ engine in the RS4 is more fun though, I'll give you that any day of the week.
Agreed - progress is inevitable and a manufacturer that doesn't push the envelope with each new model is not a car maker I would honor. So not surprised there is technology in the B8 S4 that makes the RS4 look dated.

Wonder how a Stasis equipped RS4 would fare vs. the B8 S4 if you found the handling to be superior on the B8? I am just more leak away from saying the hell with DRC and hello Stasis MS (gone through 6 shocks and 2 central accumulators)...
Old 04-08-2009, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have an '08 RS4 and my father has the '08 S5. I assume the B8 S4 is going to be very comparable to the S5. I'm not sure what the exact numbers are, but my RS4 gets about 20-22 mpg on the highway. The S5 is almost the same as well.

Bottom line is, if you want luxury and a severe decrease in speed and power, go with the S4. If you want a fun, throw you back in your seat car, go with the RS4.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

BTW RS Maniac. I see that Police badge thing in your car. Does that work when you get pulled over?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by grendelswr
BTW RS Maniac. I see that Police badge thing in your car. Does that work when you get pulled over?
Tough to say as I rarely get pulled over ;-o)

In reality, I think it does, even in situations where you don't get pulled over. I've amounted enough empirical evidence to suggest that even traffic cops are more lenient, I've had situations where the parking meter had lapsed and all other cars had Wishing You Well greeting cards behind their wipers, mine was mirraculously excluded...

I also have a wallet that conveniently stores my insurance/reg papers with a badge and "Officer's Family" script. That usually is good for even the toughest of situations.

But one thing you need to be cognizant of - there are two organizations with not a whole lot of love loss among each other: PBA and FOP (Fraternal Order of Police). You may get a cop with a Napolean complex that does favor strongly one and not the other, so it may be an issue. And just stay away from fake badges, it is a state (perhaps Federal offense), mine comes engraved with a serial number and also paperwork that I need to present everytime I am asked to by an officer.

My main thing is to hopefully get away with no front license plate. Never had it on any of my cars (requirement in my state), and the latest car I picked up - 135i - doesn't even have holes drilled in the M Technik bumper, so I ain't drilling it myself. For a 'small' violation like that cops would generally let you go (I generally use the statement that this is a high strung car and the plate restricts its breathing - LOL), but if you were to act stupid on the roads, no badge can help you.

Having the card also let's you shop in the Cop Shop, you can get neat things there (pepper spray included!)

But funnny how diff things are in Europe. If I were in the UK, my car would likely get smashed and vandalized because I am a 'Bobby' (slang for cops). Apparently there is little respect for that there, especially if you park near a stadium on a soccer Sunday!

Quick Reply: B7 RS4 or B8 S4 ???