RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Approach to buying an RS4

Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had no problem getting my warranty to cover my cc. I just took it to preferred shop, had him write up that he suggests the cc based on acceleration and rough idle. And they covered it no problem! "The Warranty Group" They are great! Also covered my slave cylinder under warranty.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Excellent. One more reason to get the extended warranty...
Old 10-28-2012, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Deleted

Last edited by G35Dalf; 11-10-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RS4-2007
Sent you a PM
Replied. :-)
Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by G35Dalf
btw, anything I should immediately look for/pay attention to on the test drive?
Make sure you check the brakes. Just check the lip on the rotors. If the car needs front brakes that is $2k off the asking price right there. And check for rotor warpage by applying very light brake pressure at ~80mph. Also ask the owner/dealer to make sure it is cold when you arrive (check that by putting a hand on the block) and ask them to start it with the hood up so you can listen for timing chain issues. If you hear clear chain rattling on cold start then walk away quickly. That's all I've got.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by xalfa
...ask them to start it with the hood up so you can listen for timing chain issues. If you hear clear chain rattling on cold start then walk away quickly. That's all I've got.
Thanks for your input xalfa (hmmm, I wonder what you drove before an Audi... lol)
Timing chain... I hadn't heard of that issue before. Is there some kind of defect? If you can hear the chain it must mean the tensioners are messed up, no? Are they controlled by oil pressure? I would imagine that's a huge and expensive job to replace the chain - probably involves an engine drop...?

What if there is no chain sound - could the issue still be there and is it detectable some other way?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by G35Dalf
Thanks for your input xalfa (hmmm, I wonder what you drove before an Audi... lol)
Timing chain... I hadn't heard of that issue before. Is there some kind of defect? If you can hear the chain it must mean the tensioners are messed up, no? Are they controlled by oil pressure? I would imagine that's a huge and expensive job to replace the chain - probably involves an engine drop...?

What if there is no chain sound - could the issue still be there and is it detectable some other way?
If it is quiet when cold I would not worry, but definitely have a good Audi mechanic check it out regardless. My understanding is that some of the chain followers are plastic and prone to wear. Because the chain is on the rear of the engine, working on it is a huge deal. But I really don't know what I'm talking about - just passing on what I was told by a good local Audi guy.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW in over 6 years of ownership I've not read about ANY cam chain problems with this motor (knock on wood).
Old 11-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gibsonl
An Audi dealer will inspect a car for you for about $150. Any dealer would be willing to take the car to Audi for you at your expense. That will cover the basics, but just expect to have to do a carbon clean. No point running all over the world to find a car that has recently had one when ur talking about a "normal maintenance" issue. I test drove 3 and all had different levels of carbon, which can certainly be felt. Getting a car that you can get a warranty on saves a lot of the back end drama. Some Audi dealers will even broker a deal for you a a nominal fee, I paid $700, which then allows you to CPO it. Otherwise the aftermarket warranties are around $4k.
Gib-
So I just bought a low milage 2008 RS4 from a private party. Are you saying I can go to an Audi dealer and negotiate a price for them to CPO it(your ex. $700.00)?
I was told by an Audi dealer that they can only CPO 2008 and newer models at this point. Does anyone know if this is true.
I did look for a 2007 CPO car and none to be found which leads me to believe it's true. I did see a few 2008s, RS4 and others.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Opinion needed:

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a car with 15k. The owner tells me he had a CEL a year ago that Audi fixed by putting in some cleaner. I assume the CEL was due to carbon buildup (and the owner believes this too). I'm shocked it threw a CEL with such low mileage.

Do I have anything to worry about with this engine? Should I have a clean done immediately? I'm just concerned the buildup seems so severe (that it threw a CEL) and so soon in it's life, there's either something wrong with the engine, or the cb is so great that some could break off and damage the cylinders. There's a bit of warranty left on the car.

Thanks all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Approach to buying an RS4