Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Season RS4 tires

Guys
any thoughts on options, pros and cons/
Thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I run a separate set of winter & summers tires as do many people that live in less temporate areas. We get enough snow in a year in Denver that I prefer to have maximum snow performance when we do get snow (~10 days a winter).

I think Reggie on this forum uses all seasons at times, but he can provide more details on his experience with them.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I run a set of Michellin Pilot Sport 2's (summer tires) but i live in Texas so no need for winter tires.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

all seasons are for the cheap and lazy (no offense to anyone) just my opinion.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I run GY F1 a/s in the winter, no issues...we had >80" this year and I live in a mountainous snow belt...they clear the roads fast, and we only had snow on the roads for maybe 6 days, max
full snows suck on pavement...our avg temp for jan is ~35 so never get real cold..
most winter driving is on wet or dry roads, not snow....

I run Conti SC3 in the summer...

I lived in AK for 10 years, so have a bit of experience with snow driving...
in places like AK, upstate NY, Colorado you need snows...

in more temperate climates where you have minimal snow a/s's will do fine...
I would still use full summers in the summer
Old 03-22-2010, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I bought my car w/ a/s and they are fine (Toyos Proxies) but I would not buy them again because they are pretty noisy. All and all the grip is fine and the car sticks to the ground but that could be the QUATTRO!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ArthurPE
I run GY F1 a/s in the winter
my RS I picked up last August came with these. I plan on running these year round. No complaints so far.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by fluevog
my RS I picked up last August came with these. I plan on running these year round. No complaints so far.
it's a good tire
90% dry performance
and much better in the wet
factor in the better wear rating and these tires are a good choice based on personal preference...
Old 03-23-2010, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

2nd - I run Dunlops for the winter (they are coming off this weekend) and my summers are Yokohama ADVAN S4 allseason for a couple of reasons:
1. tire noise
2. wear
3. never know when a snow will hit unexpectedly
4. I don't need tires that are the ultimate in performance - I'll settle for 80% since I don't track this car

I would not drive this car in snow with out snow tire just like James. With this much torque you want good grip.

That said I also ran summers and winters on my A4 which now my daughter drives at Indiana U. Since there was no way for us to work out keeping two sets of wheels there - I went with Contis allseasons and she has had great luck with them this year and last year when drove home in a ice blizzard
Old 03-26-2010, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Summer tire but a great one

After two RS4's and having run stock PZ's and Conti sport 3's. I played with the RE-11 in a 275. I am now running Sumitomo HTR Z III in a 275/30/19. They are the only tire I will go back with and the price is great!

Info from one of the tire sites:
The HTR Z III (High Technology Radials-3rd generation) is Sumitomo's Max Performance Summer tire developed for sports cars, sporty coupes and high performance sedans. It is designed to showcase Sumitomo's technical resources by providing high-speed handling stability along with traction on dry and wet roads. Like all summer tires, it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

The Sumitomo HTR Z III features a silica-enhanced tread compound molded into a sophisticated, 5-rib, asymmetric tread design. Large outboard shoulder and intermediate tread blocks along with continuous center and inboard intermediate ribs provide responsive handling, high-speed stability and dry road traction. The inside shoulder is linked by another continuous circumferential rib that enhances wear quality to help reduce noise throughout the life of the tire, especially on vehicles with independent suspensions and alignment settings that specify negative camber. Straight and wide circumferential grooves along with long, sweeping lateral grooves pump water from under the tire’s footprint to increase hydroplaning resistance and wet traction.

The Sumitomo HTR Z III radial features a high-rigidity construction consisting of wide steel belts reinforced by spirally wrapped polyamide that stabilize the tread area to enhance handling and high-speed capability. Its polyester cord body and hard rubber sidewall fillers help blend uniform ride quality with steering response and lateral stability.

Last edited by Evil Buddha; 03-26-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: add

Quick Reply: All Season RS4 tires