RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

911 -> RS4. Is this a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its a great family car... but make sure you get the Stasis Ohlins suspension...

Coming from a nimble Porsche to a 4000lbs is a very different feel... kill the DRC, stop the roll and pitch, and throw the Ohlins and you and your kids will tear up the track! Have fun!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:40 PM

Default Re: If iPod integration is truly a "must," then I reluctantly say the RS 4 may not be for you.

Its hard to believe they would put that capability in some cars, but not others.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The B6/B7's have been around a long time

At least the B8's are getting MMI.

Tho I'd lament the loss of a SD slot, as in the A5/S5.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Not a mistake

The car offers an excellent compromise. I am a (newly) single dad. I have one car. I commute in it. I drive it four seasons. I need to fit my daughter and her friends in the car.

I had a B7S4 previously and it was a fantastic car. The RS4 is in a whole other league. A true performance car that can be driven everyday, regardless of weather. I can afford two cars, but am choosing not to do so. I have gone that route and it was not all that great. Whenever I was driving my "other car", I missed my primary car. If I drove to work in the "good car" and the weather turned foul I was stressing out until I got it home. Just not worth it to me.

I am a new RS4 owner. I love the car. It offers supercar performance with everyday practicality
Old 08-08-2008, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Couple final thoughts

1) Quattro. The planted feel of Audi Quattro when its pouring rain, ice, snow, whatever. Not sure where you are, but even here in Dallas we get a little bit of this type of weather every year. I watch others white knuckled in their two wheel drive cars as a I blast past...its a cool planted feeling.

2) PCNA is one of my clients. All the Porsche executives are big fans of Audi, and not just because of the VW stake. The speak very favorably of the rally history, R8 LeMans direct injection advances, Quattro, etc. I mention this only to point out that you will still be "in the family"
Old 08-08-2008, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Couple final thoughts

Well, we're in Atlanta and when we get our 1-2 days of snow and ice a year, I generally stay home. However, I have found that all german cars seem to do well in inclement weather. With traction control on, I have been unable to force the 911 or M3 into a mistep - where you point it, it goes.

As for PCNA...funny you should mention that. Their US HQ is right down the street from my office, and I check their site from time to time looking for a non-engineer job. :-D
Old 08-08-2008, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default we should grab lunch or a coffee sometime

I am there almost every week for a day or two...stay at the Westin right next to PCNA headquarters... will be out at their Birmingham track next week.

PCNA is pretty much a sales/marketing organization, as all the individual countries are, since they are really a "distributor" in a sense. Most everything is decided/occurs/employement, etc. in Germany.

If you think that your 911 or M3 feels planted in rain/wet, wait to you feel Quattro... its different than traction control electronics
Old 08-08-2008, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'd take the RS4 over the 911 (even with not having kids).

I've driven both, somehow I just prefer the RS4. If anything driving the 911 just reinforced that.

Best bet is to go drive an RS4 or find an RS4 owner near ya who would let you go for a quick drive.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do it!
Old 08-08-2008, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default What's wrong with the Odyssey as the "familymobile"? Take a test drive in the RS4.

Honestly, I'd take an RS4 over a 997 C2, kids or not.

But I'd take my 997 GT3 over an RS4. But not with kids.

Quick Reply: 911 -> RS4. Is this a mistake?