RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

'07 RS4 or '11 S4

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same conclusion here - the RS4 makes me smile every time I put just a bit of pressure on the right pedal. That sound is just intoxicating...

A 2008 is spending her first night in her new garage tonight...

-Ross
Old 04-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I test drove a B8 S4 at Checkered Flag VA Beach. It didn't seem too much better than my 2004 S4 except the interior was nicer. I drove and finally bought a B7 RS4 from Autohaus. The excel and engine sound on that car is amazing.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by VADER332
I test drove a B8 S4 at Checkered Flag VA Beach. It didn't seem too much better than my 2004 S4 except the interior was nicer. I drove and finally bought a B7 RS4 from Autohaus. The excel and engine sound on that car is amazing.
Really? I had a 2004 S4, a 2007 S4 and now have a 2010 S4. While the 2004 and 2007 are quite similar, the 2010 is leaps and bounds different from both. A completely different car in almost every way.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is the best review of the differences between the cars - post by someone on QW:
http://visceralthirst.com/
Old 04-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That is a good article that explains alot. It also explains the engine lag at higher rpms as I drove the 2011 S4 around I-264. I thought I was probably not shifting right or something. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Now I can comment:

After spending some time in the new S4, I would say I largely agree with the input thus far here, and with my past impressions:
The RS4 is older with a less sophisticated interior, but it has the look and feel that make it very special.
The S4 is the "better" car, which doesn't necessarily mean more desirable.

I said it before, I'll say it again: I'd have kept my RS4 if I could do it over, and I would have bought an S5 cab. If I were buying, I'd get an RS4 over a B8S4.

But, now that I have some experience with the S4, it is a helluva car. It is fast (faster when chipped) and clearly more refined. The manual is a good box, nearly as good as the RS4. It doesn't have the hips, but it's no dog either. With an AWE exhaust and intake, I think it will gain some character.

As for fuel consumption, I averaged over 17 mpg in the S4 over a 4 hour trip from St. Goar to Munich, rural roads through towns and open autobahn. With an average speed of 79 mph
Old 05-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JMSIV

But, now that I have some experience with the S4, it is a helluva car. It is fast (faster when chipped)
I don't get the 'faster when chipped' thing. Why tune the B8 and not the B7?

get a JHM tune + exhaust on your B7 RS4 and you'll be faster than a tune+exhaust B8 S4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhDcNObZLpo
Old 05-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
I need a new DD. I am currently driving highly modded '01 B5 S4 w/ 190k miles. I have always loved the B7 RS4. I think it is the best looking Audi ever.

I have been leaning towards ordering the new B8 S4 but am really considering a low mileage B7 RS4.

In general the cars have many similarities. But being the **** engineer that I am, I am going thru the +/- of the RS4 vs the S4.

(+)
RS4 is the best looking Audi ever
RS4 is relatively stealth
RS4 great sound out of the box

(-)
RS4 not so great fuel milage
I will loose some horsepower w/ the RS4 due to altitude

I'd like to hear what you folks think. I am not looking the dis either car.

Thanks,

Bob-
I bought my RS4 in Austin and drove back to Denver. There was a difference, between driving in Texas and in Colorado, as far as "pull" is concerned. But, if you haven't driven a RS4 at, or close to sea level, would you notice the difference in Colorado? I will share, that notion has been long gone with me. It still crushes it when you stomp it, it's AWD and it's just down-right bad. Per a S4, I test drove them prior to the RS4. In fact, I went to Austin to pick up a new S4 and there, in all its shining glory was the RS4. I test drove the S4 I was going to purchase, test drove the RS4...game over.

I've read many posts on the Audi forums and it's common for people that had a RS4 bemoan their decision on trading it in for the B8 S4; but you never see B8 S4 owners regretting the switch to a RS4.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vTodd
I bought my RS4 in Austin and drove back to Denver. There was a difference, between driving in Texas and in Colorado, as far as "pull" is concerned. But, if you haven't driven a RS4 at, or close to sea level, would you notice the difference in Colorado? I will share, that notion has been long gone with me. It still crushes it when you stomp it, it's AWD and it's just down-right bad. Per a S4, I test drove them prior to the RS4. In fact, I went to Austin to pick up a new S4 and there, in all its shining glory was the RS4. I test drove the S4 I was going to purchase, test drove the RS4...game over.

I've read many posts on the Audi forums and it's common for people that had a RS4 bemoan their decision on trading it in for the B8 S4; but you never see B8 S4 owners regretting the switch to a RS4.
Thanks for the input Todd.

I ended up getting a new B8S4. It is a very nice car, albeit VERY refined. I’ve been driving it now as daily driver for a few weeks. The car is so refined relative to my B5, I have to admit it is has kind of numbing feeling. I have not done any mods to the B8 yet….

Today I drove my highly modded ’96 C2 to work. It was like getting into and driving a race car…

The jury is still out on the B8.

Thanks for the input.

Bob-

Last edited by boulderbobo; 05-24-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had a 2008 RS4 salon and a 2005 S4 Cabriolet. I traded them both in around November 2009 for a 2010 S5 cabriolet Prestige with all options but ACC..

While I loved all the many, many features that the S5 had over the older Audis, I just never LOVED the S5. Tried to chip it and had issues. And I could never get used to riding around with Mr. Hoover.

I no longer have the S5. In it's place is an RS4 Cabriolet. What a difference and what a special car the RS4 is. I love it because it is not so refined but far more engaging and fulfilling to drive.

If I try, I can get 25mpg on my commute. But I usually take the Q7 TDI for that trip and get 28 to 31 MPG with the Q.

I cannot think of another vehicle that I've driven in the past 6 years that pulls at me like the RS4 cab does.

Quick Reply: '07 RS4 or '11 S4