RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

RS7 Wheel Width

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS7 Wheel Width

What is the widest wheel you can put on an RS7 without tire roll and rubbing?

Please advise,

Lee
Old 03-21-2014, 04:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I read a thread on Audizine about 10 and a huge consensus of 9.5
Old 04-05-2014, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

9.5 is the widest you can run using the oem 35 mm back space. a 10 with oem backspace will be too close or even hit the upper control arm. i had some 10s built but the back space was 27mm to avoid this . that much change in offset had significant negative effect on the handling. 1. increased pull on cambered roads. 2. tram lining on grooved roads. 3. constant small steering corrections both on straight or curves , very annoying on long trips. 4. increased torque steer on hard acceleration. 5.increased movement when hitting uneven pooled water. when i put the stock wheels back on even my wife noticed how much nicer the car was to drive ! an additional observation is that the oem 275 width tire looks tucked under in my opinion and this exposes the rim to curbing . i did it so i know ! i am sticking to the 20 inch wheels because our roads here in the CO mountains have serious potholes and i want that extra 1/2 inch of sidewall. the combination of less offset and a 10 inch wheel moves the center of the wheel/ tire out .62 inches from the oem position. that is a lot.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Freddavies
9.5 is the widest you can run using the oem 35 mm back space. a 10 with oem backspace will be too close or even hit the upper control arm. i had some 10s built but the back space was 27mm to avoid this . that much change in offset had significant negative effect on the handling. 1. increased pull on cambered roads. 2. tram lining on grooved roads. 3. constant small steering corrections both on straight or curves , very annoying on long trips. 4. increased torque steer on hard acceleration. 5.increased movement when hitting uneven pooled water. when i put the stock wheels back on even my wife noticed how much nicer the car was to drive ! an additional observation is that the oem 275 width tire looks tucked under in my opinion and this exposes the rim to curbing . i did it so i know ! i am sticking to the 20 inch wheels because our roads here in the CO mountains have serious potholes and i want that extra 1/2 inch of sidewall. the combination of less offset and a 10 inch wheel moves the center of the wheel/ tire out .62 inches from the oem position. that is a lot.
Thanks for the info... I was/am considering a 21x10.5 wheel with a 295x30x21 tire... do you think Ill have issues?

Just so you know I have 12mm front and 15mm spacers in the rear on stock wheels and tires with no issues. The effective movement of the wider wheel will be make it similar here but with a wider tire.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

with 12mm spacers the offset is effectively reduced to 23mm. i had my issues with a 27mm offset. but if you are happy with the handling now and can get wheels built with no less backset than 23mm i guess it would work out OK . the wider tire could be the joker though. i have a 1996 viper gts and have experienced changes in handling just when getting new tires so who knows ? what tires did your car come with ? mine came with Yokahamas . i got mine in nov and was surprized that the tires were not german sourced. FYI if you do not want to run runflats on your 21s you can put the spare from an s6 or s7 in the well with NO modifications if you get the foam tool caddy . i will have the part numbers this week
Old 04-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

with 12mm spacers the offset is effectively reduced to 23mm. i had my issues with a 27mm offset. but if you are happy with the handling now and can get wheels built with no less backset than 23mm i guess it would work out OK . the wider tire could be the joker though. i have a 1996 viper gts and have experienced changes in handling just when getting new tires so who knows ? what tires did your car come with ? mine came with Yokahamas . i got mine in nov and was surprized that the tires were not german sourced. FYI if you do not want to run runflats on your 21s you can put the spare from an s6 or s7 in the well with NO modifications if you get the foam tool caddy . i will have the part numbers this week
Thanks for the reply, I have the Pzeros (non run flats) 275x30x21. I want the 295's on the 10.5 rim because I can get PSS tires and I don't want the tire stretch that a 275 will create.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2014 RS7, w/ stock 20" wheels. I'm considering an upgrade to Mint Wheels M130 (gloss black machined) to hide the brake dust problem, but I'm worried about getting the proper offset and wheel width. I love the handling of this car, and definitely don't want to screw it up. Are 35mm offset and 9" width the proper numbers?

Regarding the spare tire, I obtained a compact spare (4LO 601 011 HQ - KOMPL.RAD) from an independent Audi shop. It's supposed to be the one for European RS7's but it doesn't completely fit in the well. Sticks up about a half inch. Problem might be the air suspension tank, which might not be on the euro cars. Are the s6 or s7 spares compact? Maybe they would fit better than the compact I have which seems a bit too wide.

Have you gotten the part numbers?

Thx for any help.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

the tire size that fits is 145/65/20 continental compact spare available from tire rack . the 165 /65/ 20 will not fit. i know because i tried. even let all the air out . i am traveling now so do not have the part numbers for the tool caddy etc but when home will post them but your dealer should be able to provide them and order them. a word of caution here. the 165 is the same diameter as the rs7 275/35/20 tire and the 21 in tire also. the 145 is by calculation is about 2 percent shorter. for the short time this would be used i am not concerned
Old 06-28-2014, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

I picked up a 2013 A7 spare tire at a junk yard. It is indeed a Continental 145/65/R20. Various tire calculators on the net indicate it's diameter to be 27.4". The RS7 tires are 27.6", so I think that's close enough. It fits in the well perfectly, and there's room between the battery and the subwoofer box to fit the tire pump and goop bottle. I have air suspension so I had to fasten the air controller to the air tank with duct tape.

The tool caddy would be a nice finishing touch, but for now I've got the tools in a canvas bag.

Only question now is whether the wheel will clear the humungous front brake calipers on the RS7. I'll find out when my new wheels arrive. Maybe a new thread with photos and part numbers.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i have trial installed the spare and it is no problemo. the tool caddy is nice but not necessary at all. i am going to keep the inflator and sealant in case of slow leaks but the spare is the answer for blowouts ! i do think when using the spare it would be a smart idea to turn off the sport diff just in case it tries to compensate for even any small difference in diameter. i love the idea of finding a way around a factory glitch .

Quick Reply: RS7 Wheel Width