RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

Potholes & Tires

Old 02-09-2014, 06:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potholes & Tires

My RS7 is due last week of March. In Michigan the roads are the worst I have seen in my life. I have read threads about snow tires but what does everyone think about all season tire that isn't low profile? Will this type of tire fit the RS7? If so, what size ? I am thinking about buying the 20 inch stock rims and not sure what tires to use for all season? I would hate to ruin the back up 20 inch rims so that is the issue for me now.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possible solutions are moving to a southern state, or getting a preowned Subaru for the winter months. That's what I would do - no way would I drive a $120K car around on these kinds of roads/weather, I'd have a Subaru as a backup car, they are unbeatable in the snow for the money.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

All season tires should be re-named "No Season Tires". They are a compromise in both winter and summer.

I'm in Minnesota and have had Audis for years. I always buy an inexpensive set of rims and put the very best snow tire I can buy on those rims. Therefore, I have the very best traction in winter. Audis with snow tires are bullet-proof.

So rather than having "No Season Tires", you have a wheel/tire combo that is purpose-built for each season. Max traction and grip for both winter and summer. You own one of the greatest road cars in the world. Why would you want to compromise the handling?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in Chicago and I want to use the RS7 during the winter. So, I bought a set of Hartmann replica wheels (the "peeler" style), 20" x 9" and Dunlop Winter 3D tires (265/35/20). It's a fantastic winter set-up and the RS7 is loads of fun in the snow......
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2014, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I decided to buy the standard 20 inch rims as a 2nd set ( car is coming with 21's ) for the RS7 and then pick a suitable winter tire. I have Pirelli on my 2011 Benz E550 4 Matic. That Dunlop tire looks great though. I guess I will review with the dealer to decide but for sure when mine get's here they will just be getting started on road repairs. You wouldn't believe how bad the roads are now in Michigan. I will probably only drive the RS7 in daylight until the major potholes are repaired. You cannot see some of them at night even with Audi lights. Thanks for the comments!
Old 02-18-2014, 11:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

DD with 20" Conti ExtremeContact DWS for winter in 265/35/20. We have similar crappy road problems in winter. Those Dunlop 3D's are also tremendous.

Name:  96f10d3e-01ed-47e6-8e8a-963163a6b45e_zps8993af8c.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  85.5 KB
Old 02-19-2014, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default can't spare the spare

This is a sore subject for me as an expansion-joint salt crater sent me home on a flatbed (after I gave up on Audi Roadside Assistance after an hour on hold in harm's way on the side of the interstate) when my RS7 was FIVE DAYS old. Had I known there would be no spare even possible (the spare tire well is largely occupied by some banana-shaped piece of gear) I would not have chosen the RS7 over another S8.

I also know from 162,000 miles, and several blowouts, on my last S8, that 20" 35-profile tires (which it had) would also have succumbed to the pothole I hit, so I don't think those here who are counting on that have appreciably reduced the catastrophic vulnerability to no spare.

I have purchased an additional set of OEM (21") wheels and these with the summer tires are my ersatz (remote) spares to backup my 21" Pirelli Sottozero snow tires. I don't think it's a sufficiently good solution, though, and I am unhappy not to be able to confidently drive the RS7 on a long trip. A Tesla S would be no more constrained.

While I have survived almost 3,000 further miles on the RS7 tires, the potholes continue to get worse and I expect more trouble.

I'm otherwise satisfied with the RS7 but I think the decision to afford no spare is such a bad one on Audi's part that those here who haven't yet taken delivery of their RS7 should be made aware of this vulnerability. I would have cancelled had I known.

I don't ask to be immune to blowouts, just for a spare WHEN (not if) they occur.

Tx,
SENS8
Old 03-01-2014, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

NY. Insane what's going on. I have the S7, and went with blizzaks in a 245/40-20. Every night driving home is just a nightmare. I get headaches just because i have to drive by my headlights can't really look ahead as boom hole, or boom boom more holes. So far haven't destroyed the 20". Did hit a one hard but dont feel any shakes or vibrations. Will still take it in for service just in case. Also purchased wheel and tire insurance so if anything will get repaired or replaced.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I decided to pull the trigger and bought the stock 20 inch wheel for the RS7 and Audi picked my winter tire which is continental winter contact ts 830p. another $5k for the car, but I have 4 year wheel and tire insurance too so, I am ready for any problem. Now I have the 21 wheels for summer or when the temps go over 50 F. Winter is almost over but learned a lot about tires after buying this car. It is on a truck from east coast as I write this thread. Monday I pick it up! Geaked big time.PantherBlack, every option, aluminum matte treatment, comfort seats, wood-aluminum inlays, headliner, tech package, etc.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

the spare and all the stuff you need to make it work with no modifications come from an s7 and can be ordered from your audi dealer. the compact tire is not available from audi directly but the dealer should be able to locate one. total cost is around $700 . i should have all the part numbers this week and will post them. we have physically done this at my dealer so we know the spare works on the big front brakes of the rs7 , cheers to Prestige Audi in Denver !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Potholes & Tires