RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

My New RS7

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ensoniq
Thanks so much for taking the time to take and post these photos. I really appreciate it,

The first picture was the most important to me. Can you tell me how much if any of the laser is blocked by the grill?
The laser works perfectly. The sensor itself is positioned so it can receive signals. Key is to find authorized dealer to install this unit. My only problem was my installer cross wired my sunroof and I had to get the Audi dealer to fix the problem. Cost me $120 extra at Audi dealer. Other than that, the laser works great. I did not install rear sensors on the car yet. I have been debating the need. I had rear laser and radar on my Benz but elected not to add these to rear hatch on RS7.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

+1. Thanks much for posting the pics. Your install is somewhat similar to my A7, though my installer put both the control panel and display in the ashtray. It looks great, in part because it is absolutely invisible when you are not using it, but it doesn't work very well if for any reason you actually need to look at it. Then you are taking your eyes significantly away from the road. So, I am having it redone by the shop that did my R8. For my R8, I chose the Radar Mirror approach, and I am glad I did. The rearview mirror in my R8 turns out to be a far more intuitive and safe place to monitor the display, so I will have that installed on my A7, and on the RS7 when it arrives. Every time I am in my A7 and I hear an alert, I instantly glance at the rearview mirror, only to remember I did not make that choice on my A7. My original shop advised me that a rearview mirror install is risky because cops approaching from behind can see it. Maybe, but in nearly a year with the R8, that has been a non-issue, while the absence of the rearview mirror in the 7 has been a regular frustration. Just my $.02. YMMV.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by motorguy61

These 5 pictures show where the laser shifter is mounted ( inside the grille ) and the rad sensors are mounts one ot each side outside which is the only down side to the install. No where to put the radar inside the grille. Inside the car, you will see the light mounted insdie the vent. Need this for when the radio is playing loud tunes. Then you can see the control module and the screen.
Can this be done with any radar? I have a passportmax...

Also

Is the laser shifter illegal?