RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

Audi RS7 APR Tune Engine & Turbo Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello. I would like to add my thoughts on the issue of damage to the turbines and the RS7 engine. Based on photos and descriptions of problems from different owners of cars with 4.0 tfsi RS and based on their experience in stock turbo and turbo hybrids. I hope this information will be useful for someone . I will write my thoughts on the cause and effect of problems. 1. this is 100% ingress of foreign objects (small in size) into the compressor wheels , you can also notice more damage to the wheel in one turbine, if there were more than one foreign object, there were many of them. 2. To reduce the compression in the cylinder, possible reasons ( since there is no disassembled engine, there are no photos of pistons, we draw conclusions based on the design of the engine) these are collapsed walls (partitions) of the piston and damage to the rings, or this is a problem with the valves ( but if the valve burns out, the compression ( pressure) in the cylinder is usually 0.Based on what is stated in paragraph 2, I am inclined to the version with a problem in the piston.. go on.. We understand that something got into the wheels of the turbines (probably multiple small objects). Further, these particles flew into the cooler, intake manifold, intake valves and into the combustion chamber, then either partially burned and through the exhaust valves fell into the exhaust manifold and into the turbine wheel blades, the catalyst, and so on...Conclusion: small objects (particles) that got into the compressor wheel (without destroying it completely, as happens when something large gets into the wheel ) could not affect the destruction of the piston. Wear or failure of the oil pump (as in other cases with RS7) with a small percentage of probability affects the destruction of the piston and loss of compression (pressure in the cylinder). From all of the above, we can conclude 1.Getting small foreign objects (in the compressor wheel) could not break the engine.(destroy the piston) getting into the wheels of the turbines could even happen during past maintenance of the car. 2. The probable cause was the destruction of the piston,and then the particles of the destroyed piston got into the crankcase of the engine where crankcase ventilation safely raised by the discharge from the turbine ( and there is good suction )) ) directly on the compressor wheels and their damage was the result and not the root cause. If version 1 is inappropriate, the car owner will tell you better. I'm for version 2. From version 2, the question arises: why did the piston collapse? and because there was a high EGT only this with the highest probability could lead to the destruction of the piston... in this car, there are no EGT sensors for each cylinder to monitor everything accurately and fix the problem in time.. this is a car for every day, not a sport.) or not ) My opinion is probably 90% banal, the source of the problem was only in the fuel injector of one cylinder, did not pour the right amount of fuel into the cylinder and OOP.... $ 44k to give. In conclusion, I want to write philosophically from myself.. if possible, you need to strive to live by gaining experience ( it is often not cheap) and solving existing problems as quickly as possible, even replacing a new engine and fly or swim further.. who likes it.. life is not as long as it seems) preferably with powerful cars on turbo hybrids )
All The Boost !
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (07-17-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at the intake and how much dirt is in there, you would easily believe that the engine did not have an air filter. All the dirt being ingested by the engine eventually destroyed the turbo impellers. This in turn, caused debris from the damaged impeller destroy the engine bearings, oil pump etc. I don't think it has anything to do with the tune. The intake and filters had a large gap or leak.
Old 01-02-2022, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsrjc
That’s crazy with just the APR stage 1 tune. I always heard that one was the good one and the APR 2 was the bad one due to the cylinder 5 misfire problem that they couldn’t fix.
Do you know where I can find more info on the 5th cylinder misfire? I bought a 2016 with an APR stage II already installed, the misfire just started happening
Old 01-28-2022, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trevorp
Looking at the intake and how much dirt is in there, you would easily believe that the engine did not have an air filter. All the dirt being ingested by the engine eventually destroyed the turbo impellers. This in turn, caused debris from the damaged impeller destroy the engine bearings, oil pump etc. I don't think it has anything to do with the tune. The intake and filters had a large gap or leak.
Or a K&N type filter that really doesn't filter dust. Fine for a track car but not one that sees bad roads all the time.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...inder-3008551/
Old 01-30-2022, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Corona81
Do you know where I can find more info on the 5th cylinder misfire? I bought a 2016 with an APR stage II already installed, the misfire just started happening
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...inder-3008551/