RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

Brand new (to me) RS6 has DRC failure from the start..seller doing the right thing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new (to me) RS6 has DRC failure from the start..seller doing the right thing.

Well, my new RS6 from the get go has a failed DRC. The seller had just had it to an audi dealer who proclaimed it perfect for the 35K service. This is after the seller complained about front end noise under warranty numerous times. Boy is he not happy, but he made it clear that he will pay for the DRC if audi does not step up. THAT IS INTEGRITY.

So...my question is who has talked audi into covering the DRC out of warranty? This car has under 30K miles and it still failed. Any advice in how to navigate this with Audi would be great. I have searched the forum extensively and see that some have made FTC filings, etc. Still, any advice? Thanks.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:28 PM

Default My case turned out OK

I was driving from Michigan to Florida a couple of years ago, approaching the 50K end of my factory warranty, when the CEL (check engine light) went on north of Atlanta. So I stopped at a dealer there, was assured all was well after some minor fix and continued for the last 500 miles.

Half way through the CEL went on again. There was no way I could get to a FL dealer without exceeding 50K mi, so I called AOA in near-panic. They were sympathetic and said don't worry about it; just take the car in as soon as possible. When I did, I needed a new torque converter -- and a DRC fix. Everything was covered, and AOA even extended my factory warranty another 12K miles. As it turned out, the Atlanta dealer supposedly lied about the CEL showing only a minor problem.

Obviously AOA didn't have to do that. It was a courtesy extension. If the dealer in your case isn't helpful, consider calling AOA. Be civil but firm. If the warranty didn't expire too long ago, and if your seller will back up his story about complaining to the dealer regarding noise, maybe they will help.

Good luck -- you may need that too!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks, we will see.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Do you remember the name of the Atlanta dealer?

Some of us (in Atlanta) would like to know.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Mine was covered by the dealer due to their erroneous belief

After telling me that the DRC repair was covered by the CPO, the dealer replaced the system. Then, two weeks after getting the car back, while I brought it in for them to have a look at the paintwork they damaged during the installation, the service rep told me Audi had rejected the DRC repair under CPO warranty. The dealer ate it completely.

CW
Old 07-18-2008, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: I remember when that happened and all there was as far as audi dealers was

Jim Ellis and Nalley.
I can't remember which he said or if he even said which one it was thats just the only 2 that are in or close to Atlanta @ that time.
Rick Case Audi was not around @ that time.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Do you remember the name of the Atlanta dealer?

It was Jim Ellis, in Marietta. Context: By the date (Nov 05) and details on my receipt, I recall now that it was the Monday before Thanksgiving and I was eager to make my destination 500 miles south before the holiday. I didn't want to wait over a four day weekend & told them so.

RE my CEL coming on, receipt shows "fault in ECM for small evap leak. Ran test several times. Passed. Customer must have left gas cap loose." Maybe I did -- can't say for sure now -- but I try to remember to check that before taking time for any dealer stop. Besides, if it was loose and I arrived with CEL on, wouldn't they see that and simply write "gas cap loose" rather than "Customer must have left gas cap loose"?

Later, "Customer states that the transmission had a clunk with throttle once," and I remember now that it was a BIG clunk. Then: "Added concern after printed vehicle has hit some debris on road. White powder on exhaust and transmission." But that's it; no resolution is shown, and I don't recall any post-repair discussion.

Ellis did replace a torn outer cv axle boot under warranty. I declined their offer to order a blown speaker replacement because I was on the road.

Later still, after I got the torque converter etc. replaced in FL with AOA's help, an employee at the dealer there said the Atlanta dealer lied to me about what the CEL showed. That's about all I remember.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My dealer stepped up as well for same reason. Only the central valves are covered not the shocks.

Not covered under CPO (Certified warranty) by Audi. A good number of us have added to the complaints on the NHTSA site and they were investigating.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default screw the DRC, and split the cost of an upgraded system...

unless you want to deal with this again in another 35k miles...
Old 07-19-2008, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree, but umm less than 35K...most including mine seem to fail again not too long after.

Quick Reply: Brand new (to me) RS6 has DRC failure from the start..seller doing the right thing.