RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

2003 RS6 vs. E55 AMG - honest opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 RS6 vs. E55 AMG - honest opinions

Hey everyone,

I have been trying to figure out the pro's and con's of each car vs. one another. I realize this is the AUDI forums so opinions might be biased. I have posted something similar on the MB forum as well.

I know that the performance of each car is amazing and in reality I will most likely be happy with either choice. Even though, i think the audi is sexier looking and has AWD.

Some specific questions I have are releated to daily driving and regular up-keep of the vehicle. Are there any problems that have been occuring with either car on a regular basis?

Seeing as both cars will be anywhere from 4-6 years old when obtained, I am fearful of the condition of the turbos/supercharger on a car with 60k+ miles. What should I be looking or expecting in either car as far as regular checkups/replacements?

I am looking to purchase either car as a daily driver. Obviously unleashing the beast in either car will be necessary, but i am not planning on pushing it to the limit on a consistant basis at the track or something.

Lets start with these general questions for now.

Thanks in advance for responses!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 2003 RS6 vs. E55 AMG - honest opinions

I've considered the same thing but to me E55's are everywhere and i need the awd so its RS6 for me. Even considering that my brother in law is a mercedes tech and could do all the work on the E55
Old 03-13-2009, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default If your looking for the better driving car...

then choose the RS6 and get rid of the DRC suspension all together. Install coilovers and Hotchkis sway and be done with it. I am sick and tired of all the DRC crap.

However, the E55 is a very nice car and just a plain brute musclecar when you put your foot in it.

Problems? Well, the Audi has tons of them and they are very expensive to fix. High maint costs, DRC, Trans, Torque converters, turbos. All quite expensive to fix. So, you better have a good extended warranty. The E55 has a more reasonable maint cost and very little problem areas.

Check over on RS6.com as well.

Last edited by CORS6; 12-27-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default ymmv

I have a good friend with an e55 and he's always complaining to me about his car being in the shop for various issues. The last few I recall are airbag sensors, headlights and some engine related sensor. To hear him talk about it, the car doesn't sound very reasonable to maintain.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My question back in 2003, same answer today

Had an E55 on order and told the dealer to keep it after driving the RS6. Just under 75k miles, with NO issues, chipped with APR and exhaust more than a year ago. Those with issues post more than those without ;-). But if you ever drive in the kind of weather in this video from Switzerland, Quattro is the only way to go...<ul><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qmS5c_cSLI&amp;feature=related">RS Quattro meeting on way to Sustenpass</a></li></ul>
Old 03-13-2009, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I would agree 100% and even with the DRC problems....

I love the car. Just not how Audi is handling the repair. Other than the DRC my RS has been perfect. 29k miles.

Just alittle cranky about the DRC. Can you tell. :-)
Old 03-13-2009, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: ymmv

Well,

I have one and the normal maint costs are 40% of what the RS6 is. Spark plugs last 6 times longer and there is no timing belt service every 35k. That is 3k every 35k right there.

Last edited by CORS6; 12-27-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:42 PM

Default Mercedes / BMW / Audi

The Audi RS6 encapsulates much as does the eleganance of a Mercedes or a well-built BMW.

But, the RS6 stands alone in understated intergrity, a soft but formidable punch. I feel Mercedes to be 'cookie cutter' elegance, too generic and too easy, pay for it and you get one. The BMW (M5 for example) I like, but it is clearly a stiffer rendition and perhaps to 'cut/ dried' itself.

I prefer the RS for character alone- and I keep a high-resilience to all that fails. Other than the RS I would take the Nissan GT-R.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default This has been a long and ongoing debate. Bottom line:

If you want to go hard in a straight line, buy the MB. If you do mountain driving, bad weather driving, etc., buy the RS6. If you live at altitude, buy the RS6. Otherwise, it is a toss-up and personal preference.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 2003 RS6 vs. E55 AMG - honest opinions

As you have already concluded, we are a little biased here but there were a couple of decent comparison tests done back in '03. These are a couple of my favorites;

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0309_2003_audi_rs6_mercedes_benz_e55amg/index.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/sedans/2003_audi_rs_6_vs_bmw_m5_jaguar_s_type_r_m_b_e55_a mg_comparison_test/(page)/1

There is also a Top Gear video floating around on youtube.

All I know is mine has been rock solid and I wouldn't trade it for anything else!

Quick Reply: 2003 RS6 vs. E55 AMG - honest opinions