Question, Who made the first all wheel drive, or 4 wheel drive, vehicle, and when?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question, Who made the first all wheel drive, or 4 wheel drive, vehicle, and when?

I don't know and I have tried to search on Google, but having a hard time using the right key words to find anywhere that might lead me to the answer.

This is to settle an argument with a co-worker's husband who believes anything worth owning is British made....and he feels the British are THE pioneers in all technology, I just want to find documentation that proves him wrong about all wheel drive/4 wheel drive and where it came from......at least I certainly hope he is wrong, he is a major asshat that thinks Jag and Land Rover are the best built cars in the world.....for all time. He drives me crazy, and I just want this one point to prove him wrong.

Can anyone help me or lead me in the right direction?

BTW...he drives a leased 2003 Jag Xtype, 2004 Disco, and 2006 Ford Explorer.....but is currently out of a job so his wife is working double shifts every week...for the past 5 months.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Spyker - 1903

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyker">Here it is</a> on wiki. I didn't know, just looked it up. And it's a Dutch company, so you win! ;-)

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4wd#History">This</a> is the referring page--good info on the history of 4wd.

Apparently <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti">Bugatti</a> was the first to make a 4wd racer in 1937. Interesting tidbit: the first 24 hrs at Le Mans was won with a Bugatti type 57 driven by <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Veyron">Pierre Veyron</a>.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Thanks Charles.

I knew it was German or European over British. I find it funny that the British were handed it from the Americans, who built their vehicles for WW1. He said that the British were fighting the wars on their own, with their own technology, which was the best in the world, without help from anyone. I think we all know that was crap.

Now, to prove to him that Jag is not the worlds greatest race car/design He says Jag won 8 out of 11 entries in the 24 Le Mans....I personally dont' follow racing that much, so I have to do research.....but c'mon....Jag, the best race bred vehicle in the WORLD?

Oh, this is gonna be fun....gonna slam the hammer down on his couch sittin ***
Old 01-10-2007, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Okay, why does this post not exist for me?

I can link to it from RMCB5 but can't see it at all from the Rocky Mountain forum? I have checked my preferences and have refreshed everything and still nothing. ????
Old 01-10-2007, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

go to your preferences and check "show off-topic posts"
Old 01-10-2007, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Whoa!
Old 01-10-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Glad you got it figured out.....

Cole, I would love for you to meet up with this guy to teach him a thing or 2. With your automotive knowledge, both street and trail, It would be a total hoot watching you school him....especially since he believes LR basically created anything that has to do with offroading. He claims the entire FJ and Jeep lines were made as copies to the LRs.....that everyone stole or copied the ideas from LR.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Print this out and give it to him....;-)

<ul><li><a href="http://www.lrfaq.org/NL.MM_firstlandrovers.html">http://www.lrfaq.org/NL.MM_firstlandrovers.html</a</li></ul>
Old 01-10-2007, 02:35 PM

Here's one, ask him who built the first FWD car.....hint it's American
Old 01-10-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Cole...you are my hero!!!!!

I love this part

"Among the items used were: chassis, the complete drivetrain, up to and including the Jeep transfer box. The Jeep steering assembly, up to and including the steering box. The prototype Land Rover had a centre steering wheel (neither LHD or RHD) linkage to the Jeep steering box via chain and sprockets. "

I just sent him the link, along with the others that people have sent. I also researched the 24 hours of Le Mans....in the past 47 years, the British have only won the 24 hours of LeMan 4 times....the Germans won 24 times. Hmmmmm...let me see....
British won about 8.5% of the races, where Germans won 51% of the time. You tell me what is better....8.5% or 51%. Americans only ran the GT40 for a few years, dominated, then quit.....no staying power, like the British. Jag has won 7 times total since the beginning of the race...but 5 of the wins were in the 50's. Audi however has won 6 of the past 7 years...only being beaten by the Bently 8 in 2003.

I love this stuff, and arguing with someone that REALLY has no clue what he is talking about, and no sources to back up his BS claims and stories.

Again, thanks for the help with the LR history....that TOTALLY made my day.

Quick Reply: Question, Who made the first all wheel drive, or 4 wheel drive, vehicle, and when?