New springs and tires tested at SCR last night

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New springs and tires tested at SCR last night

A few friends and I went out to the track yesterday after work. It was my first time with the new Vogtland Club Spec springs and Toyo RA-1s. Previously I was on the stock sport springs and Yoko AVS ES-100s. I retained the Bilstien Sport dampers.
A couple months ago at the RMCB5 track day at SCR I realized I was ready for some better-performing gear. I felt like I had gotten more out of my car than ever before, and to sqeeze the last little bit out of the car as it was would require more track time than I was willing to put in.
So, I found a deal (thanks) on some Toyos and picked up the springs from Mike at Pure MS. The springs are slightly stiffer in front and a lot stiffer in the rear. (350 front/ 360 rear). The Neuspeed rear anti-sway bar is still on stiff.
Tires: This was the first time I'd driven on r-compounds. I was a little concerned they would be significantly more twitchy than the ES-100s, but they really weren't. The limits approached gradually, which was very comforting. Of course, quattro with this stability, too. I haven't inspected the wear closely yet, but from the little I did see it looked to be consistent.
Springs: Although these aren't as stiff as I was hoping for, the balance is great. There is very minimal understeer now, which has always been my biggest complaint with this car. I've considered going with H&R Race springs, but I think that would just provide a stiffer ride with no significant improvement rotating the car in corners over the Vogtlands. I think this because the H&Rs increase stiffness by about the same amount front and rear, so it wouldn't significantly improve the rotation of the car in corners. Also, the car now is more comfortable on the street than it would be with the Race springs.
My previous best lap time was 1:24.0. After these two mods and some pointers from Rick, I was down to 1:21.9, a new PR. I'm very happy with the direction these mods have taken the car. It's so much more fun driving a well-balanced car than a plowing pig.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet, just about a full 3sec off your times, great job Pat
Old 09-01-2005, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Mark took 2 secs off his time with a new suspension on his P car.

Congrats - on the new PR.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:14 AM

Default It was an awesome time!

All of us standing around with huge smiles on our faces... nothing beats knowing that your skill and modifications are taking you in the right direction... faster. You looked great out there Pat! Next time get that redline in your coolant for additional laps hopefully.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you find some cheapy 17"s?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good job - want to come out next Wednesday?
Old 09-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

Yep, Mille Miglia Cup 3s for $300. =D Thanks for the tip, Reggie.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, no kidding. I think non-fading brakes would help a bit, too. =/
Old 09-01-2005, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If i had know you guys were there last night i would have stopped..

I went by at 5:15pm and saw a Silver A4, Blue Evo and a few other cars. I should have stopped and said high. When are you going back out there again?
Old 09-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

Not sure yet when we're going back out. We hope to go one of the next three Wednesdays.

Quick Reply: New springs and tires tested at SCR last night