S4 + Koni/H&R Sport Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 + Koni/H&R Sport Springs

Anyone in the area, that has this setup/something close, that would not mind giving me a ride?

I currently have 2006 S4 with H&R Sport Springs + stock shocks (previous owner).

I love the ride height but not the ride. The only application at this time is either COs or the Konis... as Bilstein is not offering an application yet.

So... to make a long story short, I am seriously considering just dropping in the Konis. Before I do though, I am wanting feedback from those that have run this setup.. and would love a chance to ride in one - specifically looking for the setting the Konis are on.

TIA

PS
I have had this setup before in an '04 Passat 4Mo and loved it. At the very least my ride would be enormously better.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:27 PM

Default Re: S4 + Koni/H&R Sport Springs

I have Koni shocks with Eibach springs and I love them. If you really want a ride I could manage that but take it from me you wont be disappointed!!!! I am going to try and take some pics of my car tonight if the weather holds up so keep your eye out I will post up pics for everyone to check out. You cant miss it its Nogaro, RS4, wide body....
Old 07-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: S4 + Koni/H&R Sport Springs

Well that is good to hear because I went ahead and purchased the shocks from TireRack today. Should be here around Monday and in the car mid to late next week.

In talking with several people, I have been recommended the following setting for the shocks:

Mildly aggressive - 50% front and 60% rear
Good daily driver - 20-30% front and 25-40% rear

From Koni I was told:
3/4 to 1 full turn up front and rear

Where are your shocks currently adjusted??

What area are you in? I am in the Castle Rock area.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Installed

Well they came in yesterday and they were installed today. I just got back from about an hour drive. I just had to stop and come home for a bit (I was in training all day) and get situated.

All I can say is what a HUGE A$$ difference in the way the car rides and handles now. I cannot make a comparison to stock as my car was not set up as stock from my initial purchase. However, I am utterly thrilled with the new set up.

I spent about 2 hours just dicking around with the settings on the shocks last night. So much so my hand hurts from compressing them and readjusting em so much. I am kind of ****/obsessive about those kind of things. I am still grateful I did not get COs for that exact reason - I would still be messing around with them!!

At any rate, I set ALL four to one full turn from soft. I could not be happier. The ride is firm yet compliant and the best part....... I have no more bouncy bouncy!!! The car settles itself nicely going over spots that made me kind of kick up out of my seat.

I went into Highlands Ranch. TONS of expansion joints. Prior to the Konis I would get a weird undulation in the car. You could tell the shocks just were not matched with the spring rates at all. The ride would just sort of beat you up until you got back onto asphalt. Not so now. While you still feel the road, she glides right over these expansion joints.

Even my fiance got in the car and liked it. She noticed a big difference in the ride quality and she is NOT a car person.

At highway speeds she is flat. Hard lange change at 75MPH planted me in the next lane with no noticeable body roll. Next summer I will look into sways and see what kind of affect that will have on this setup.

All and all... I am also very please with the install and the cost. Here is what I had done for a grand total of $309.09

Oil change (I provided the oil and filter)
Shock install (set at my settings prior to dropping them off)
4 Wheel alignment

I would have done the oil change myself but with my situation right now it was easier to have them do it for $20. Just the disposal of the oil is worth that!!

If anyone is in the area and wants to know more about the shop I used, PM me and I will let you know. Great guys and excellent prices!

Just as an FYI:

-With the exception of Camber, everything in the front (to include Cross camber, Cross caster, Cross SAI, Total Toe, and cross turn diff) was dialed in. The specified range for front camber on the S is -1.03 degress to -.04 degrees. My front left is currently sitting at -1.7 and front right is -1.5. Both just outside the range.

Rear camber and toe (to include Cross camber, Total Toe, Thrust angle, and axle offset) is spot on.

I will be rotating every 5K miles so really I am not all that worried about it. At any rate, the front camber cannot be adjusted. It can be evenly balanced out within the specification/tolerance range by moving the subframe (which was done in my case).
Old 07-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

woot!
Old 06-27-2009, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Shop details?

Can you please give the shop details?